PDA

View Full Version : Any desert spots closer to OC than Barstow?

runway1
12-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I live in Orange County. So far, the closest open desert spots for shooting long range rifle that If heard of are north side of Barstow - about 115 miles from Huntington Beach. Not bad.

Just wondersing, are there any spots closer? Maybe areas around Victorville or east around Joshua Tree? Just checking. Saves me some driving. Thanks all!

Gromit
12-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Does it have to be desert, or are moutains ok?

grant22
12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I used to shoot in the Lucerne Valley area (15 north, exit Bear Valley, head east about 25 miles). I have no idea if that area is still legal, so definitely check into that. It might save you some miles.

Mamluke
12-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Does it have to be desert, or are moutains ok?

Or the wide open ocean; just make sure you're outside territorial waters... take some empty water bottles.... tie 'em to some ballons .... n then have at it ...

.. :D

:hide:

JK!

Barstow is gtg ... http://ktmtalk.com/html/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

hnoppenberger
12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I used to shoot in the Lucerne Valley area (15 north, exit Bear Valley, head east about 25 miles). I have no idea if that area is still legal, so definitely check into that. It might save you some miles.
that area is shotgun only, no slugs, no pistols. (according to the fish and game map from basspro shops.)

Noonanda
12-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I live in Orange County. So far, the closest open desert spots for shooting long range rifle that If heard of are north side of Barstow - about 115 miles from Huntington Beach. Not bad.

Just wondersing, are there any spots closer? Maybe areas around Victorville or east around Joshua Tree? Just checking. Saves me some driving. Thanks all!

East of joshua tree there are alot of spots where people shoot. this area is show as shotgun areas on the SB map, but people target shoot into the side of the mountains behind copper mountain college. East of 29 palms is anything goes, shotgun or rifle

Gromit
12-07-2011, 1:14 PM
I was gonna say, because if mountains are ok, perhaps the best outdoor rifle range I've been to is Lytle Creek north on the 15 fwy, not yet to Victoville, probably 60 min. from HB (and they have 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300 yards distances). But in a pinch, Mike Rauhaage's in Corona is pretty good, too (but maxes out at 100 yards).

runway1
12-07-2011, 2:03 PM
Mountains are fine. I shoot at Angeles about an hour away. I wanted to find a place to do my own thing.

Ocean shooting desn't work as a boat is required. Besides, I'm a diver and don't appreciate folks putting crap in areas thay can't go clean.

Now Joshua Tree. That sounds like a good option to Barstow.

runway1
12-07-2011, 2:09 PM
East of joshua tree there are alot of spots where people shoot. this area is show as shotgun areas on the SB map, but people target shoot into the side of the mountains behind copper mountain college. East of 29 palms is anything goes, shotgun or rifle

About what exit off of the 62? This would be east of the college, right? Joshua Tree Nat'l Park is south of the 62 and the Marine Corp 29 Palms training center is north so I'm wondering where?

Noonanda
12-09-2011, 11:19 AM
About what exit off of the 62? This would be east of the college, right? Joshua Tree Nat'l Park is south of the 62 and the Marine Corp 29 Palms training center is north so I'm wondering where?

The dry lakebed north of copper mountain college. jackoffs lately have been leaving the place a mess, but there is alot of are out there to shoot. Let me know if you are coming up sometime, always up for a calguns shoot

Blaze Kenobi
12-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Where in the mountains can you shoot? Do you just take a hike and get far off the main road and you are good to go or what? I am down for a unofficial calguns shoot in the desert or the mountains. Prefer mountains.

Kauf
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
The dry lakebed north of copper mountain college. jackoffs lately have been leaving the place a mess, but there is alot of are out there to shoot. Let me know if you are coming up sometime, always up for a calguns shoot

I personally like when people before me leave a mess cuz it means free brass for me:D the trash I don't appreciate though. Isn't copper mtn. college north west of J Tree though? And isn't J Tree further than barstow anyway? Just saying haha I'd take J Tree anyway over barstow cuz after shooting I can go camp in the park and rock climb the next day woo hoo! Plus I believe it is legal to carry concealed in Natl Parks correct?

blazeaglory
12-10-2011, 4:51 PM
Here is San Berdino area. The light purple (Not dark) and teal are the good to go spots.

Noonanda
12-10-2011, 7:54 PM
I personally like when people before me leave a mess cuz it means free brass for me:D the trash I don't appreciate though. Isn't copper mtn. college north west of J Tree though?
East of the town of Joshua Tree, If you go down Sunfair you cant miss the dry lakebed off to your east (north of CMC) LOL
And isn't J Tree further than barstow anyway? Just saying haha I'd take J Tree anyway over barstow cuz after shooting I can go camp in the park and rock climb the next day woo hoo! Plus I believe it is legal to carry concealed in Natl Parks correct?

For me its 15 minutes from my house to rounds going down range

Kauf
12-13-2011, 5:18 PM
Here is San Berdino area. The light purple (Not dark) and teal are the good to go spots.

Great map. I've been trying to find that forever! Thank you

xSARSx
12-13-2011, 7:49 PM
isnt there a place in banning? west of palm springs in the san gorgonio mountain area. that would be a lot closer to you than the desert area.

Stoopy
12-13-2011, 8:01 PM
Yeah Barstow sucks. I would stay away from their.

Kauf
12-17-2011, 3:56 PM
Is there shooting on base at 29 Palms? I have base access so that isn't a problem but do they allow MWR use of the range on weekends or something like Pendleton used to?

Mojaveman
12-17-2011, 7:10 PM
I was going to try the area west of the 15 near exits 165 and 169 some time. I drive a truck throughout Southern California so I have gotten some ideas of where I might try some long distance shooting. There are low hills that one could shoot against and I never see any people out there, they are usually on the east side of the highway if there are any at all. Now if you really wanted some desolation check the map that someone else posted. You'd have to do some driving but you could probably find some spots where there aint nobody.

toby
12-17-2011, 7:12 PM
Head south towards hwy 8

Noonanda
12-18-2011, 5:40 AM
Is there shooting on base at 29 Palms? I have base access so that isn't a problem but do they allow MWR use of the range on weekends or something like Pendleton used to?

Not that I know of, Supposedly the used to a few years ago

trg-s338
12-18-2011, 8:16 AM
Subscribed. Thanks for the info.

Don29palms
12-18-2011, 11:26 AM

The 29 Palms Pistol and Rifle Club is on the east side of 29 Palms. We have a pistol range, A cowboy town, a shotgun range and a rifle range. The rifle range has target racks setup at 50,100,200,300 and 400 yards. There are steel targets set up at 500,600,1050 and 1760 yards. There are multiple steel target on the target range at distances between 200 and 500 yards. A family membership to the club is $50 a year. Guest pay $5 per visit. On the first Saturday of every month there is a monthly shoot. It is $10 for members and $15 for non members. The money goes to cost of targets and the BBQ after the shoot. The extra $5 for guests is to cover insurance. It is open to the public and all are invited. There are no prizes involved. The winner does get their name put an a plaque that is hanging in the club house. It is a friendly get together for like minded people to have a good time. The course of fire changes every month to keep it interesting. Any caliber centerfire rifle in any configuration. It goes without saying that you don't need to use a 50cal for this. Targets will range from 100-500yds. It is usually a team effort and everyone shoots in the same class. Starting time is 9am. I always recommend getting there early so you can setup a take a few warm up shots.

This is the rifle range

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/don29palms/IMG_20110610_113728.jpg

Picture of the rest of the club from the rifle range

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/don29palms/IMG_20110610_113752.jpg

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 11:32 AM
you can try https://www.sportsmanmaps.com/?page_id=7&level_req=0, yes your computer will give a warning about the websites security cert. The owner is a member here (r3dn3ck ) and does alot of work for CGN members. He put this together for us to get easy access to maps.

Kauf
12-18-2011, 8:35 PM
The 29 Palms Pistol and Rifle Club is on the east side of 29 Palms. We have a pistol range, A cowboy town, a shotgun range and a rifle range. The rifle range has target racks setup at 50,100,200,300 and 400 yards. There are steel targets set up at 500,600,1050 and 1760 yards. There are multiple steel target on the target range at distances between 200 and 500 yards. A family membership to the club is $50 a year. Guest pay $5 per visit. On the first Saturday of every month there is a monthly shoot. It is $10 for members and $15 for non members. The money goes to cost of targets and the BBQ after the shoot. The extra $5 for guests is to cover insurance. It is open to the public and all are invited. There are no prizes involved. The winner does get their name put an a plaque that is hanging in the club house. It is a friendly get together for like minded people to have a good time. The course of fire changes every month to keep it interesting. Any caliber centerfire rifle in any configuration. It goes without saying that you don't need to use a 50cal for this. Targets will range from 100-500yds. It is usually a team effort and everyone shoots in the same class. Starting time is 9am. I always recommend getting there early so you can setup a take a few warm up shots.

This is the rifle range

They have a website? I'm having trouble finding an address and such

sonny49842
12-18-2011, 9:08 PM
These are all just as far (if not farther) than Barstow. I didn't read through the replies too closely but what I did read I would suggest just make the drive.

utahraptor
12-22-2011, 9:49 PM
All around Randsburg

Shooter88
12-22-2011, 10:20 PM

This is the rifle range

I have got to get up there. Everytime I go to Yucca to see my parents, I always tell myself to go check that range out.

OP, there is a rifle range off of Highway 62 as you climb the big grade into Yucca Valley. Thats where I mostly go. It only goes out to 300 yards though, where they have steel targets set up. Its called High Desert Rod and Gun Club. I'm pretty sure theres a website.

Thats just if you didn't want to go the extra distance into 29 Palms, but if your looking into shooting long distance, then obvioulsy the one in 29 is a better choice.