PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point 995TS or 4595TS which one should i consider & why...

dodge
12-07-2011, 2:01 AM
which caliber would you get & why ?

like the thread topic says, plan on purchasing a hi point carbine tomorrow & know my local dealer has a handful in 9mm. i also would like to be accurate out to @ least 100 yds give or take a few & am unsure how well the 45 acp travels @ these distances.
also taking into consideration the expense of feeding the two options. clearly the 9 will be less expensive, but won't have the wow factor of shooting the larger caliber. which may very well be why i want the larger cartridge to begin with. i know the 45 model is also more difficult to find; which to me would mean more valuable..........
however, if the additional expense of ammo is gonna cut down on range time than i'd definitely just take the 9mm & be happy with it. actually, will likely be pleased w/whichever i choose. i really hadn't @ all considered the one chambered s&w 40 cause i suspect ammo prices to again be a bit higher than the 9mm. & don't really think 40 has the same impressive satisfying kick the 45 gives :cool2:

currently i have no plans of getting into reloading although can see doing so further down the road. reloading my own 10mm ammo would definitely allow me to shoot that pistol more & i really enjoy that cartridge immensely.
i figure an entire set up to reload 7.62x54/10mm/9mm/45acp will be over 300$ & that's just for the tools etc to load. not even considering expense of buying casings/powder & rounds to load. if i'm way off here price wise, someone give me a clue

so; ultimately i really prefer the larger caliber carbine, but anticipate ammo costs & availability/more common 9mm ammo will always likely be easier to locate than 45acp, but am not an expert on ammunition pricing by any stretch of the imagination. hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself will shed some light

ie. can i shoot 45acp for around the same price as 9mm & if so; how or what brand ammunition would one be referring too

i realize this is a somewhat chatty thread & for that i apologize, but help me out here, with the combined wisdom this forum is fortunate to have :oji:

i get really great prices from my dealer since i've been such a long time & very regular customer. so the price of the actual rifle won't have much bearing on my decision. clearly most of my concern is regarding expense of running the gun

dieselpower
12-07-2011, 6:05 AM
from what I hear... take that with a grain of salt...we are talking gun counter conversation... the rifle was designed to withstand certain level of recoil. The .45 is at the top end of that design while the 9mm is at the lower end.

Therefore you will have more structural defects turn up with a .45. You will need to send the rifle in for repairs more and have more failures.

The 9mm is a great rifle. There are few negative thing to say about it. The .45 has issues all relating to the bigger bang....

h0use
12-07-2011, 10:31 AM
i own the 995ts and love it. i like the 9mm since ammo is cheap to shoot. you can allways get some good defence rounds for the 9mm as well and most of the time the defence rounds come in boxes of (winchester ranger ammo)50 instead of 25. the carbines are dead on right out of the box.
i have close to 1000 rounds of steel cased ammo threw mine with out any problem.

luckystrike
12-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Lopoint is junk, save some more cash and get something better.

Dark Mod
12-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Id get the 9mm, youll get much faster velocites which translates to acuracy at 100 yards, and its a rifle so dont expect to feel much more recoil from the .45, i barely notice the difference in handguns, so in a rifle the difference will be miniscule.

As far as reloading, heres a little bit of advice:

To load for all those calibers it would probably cost $250 for the tools:

Press kit : 80
Dies : 80 (maybe more)
Calipers: 15
Tumbler: 30
puller: 10
media: 10
Shellholders: 20

Dont bother reloading 9mm, you dont save much money and it takes forever on a single stage. Your bread and butter will be 7.62x54r and 10mm, you will save a ton on these because they are very expensive rounds. Even the .45 to a lesser extent.

You might even be able to cut out reloading 7.62x54r if you live close to BLM land or a range that allows steel core ammo

h0use
12-07-2011, 10:48 AM

do you even own one? dont trash somthing you dont own or have not shot.

Jason P
12-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Get the 9mm. The MP5 uses it, and we know what kind of guys use the MP5. The HiPoint is a good rifle, don't let haters with ZERO experience with these rifles sway you with nonsense.

luckystrike
12-07-2011, 2:09 PM
do you even own one? dont trash somthing you dont own or have not shot.

Sorry, I don't have to stick my hand in a fire to know it's hot

Dion
12-07-2011, 2:34 PM
I have been researching the HiPoint 9mm carbine for about a year - watching every youtube review known to man. Almost all reviews are positive - just wished shops would stock them up here in the Bay Area :(

I want to order one, just hate having to pay the FFL fees and tax.

Dion
12-07-2011, 2:34 PM
I have been researching the HiPoint 9mm carbine for about a year - watching every youtube review known to man. Almost all reviews are positive - just wished shops would stock them up here in the Bay Area :(

I want to order one, just hate having to pay the FFL fees and tax.

theduece
12-07-2011, 2:55 PM
For reloading questions go to the reloading forum. There is a huge amount of knowledge there. You can reload 9mm cheaper or .45 or whatever it is almost an entirely seperate hobby. Yes it does get quite costly with the equipment, you could spend 10 times your budget if you wanted to.

As for the rifle I wouldn't concern myself as to which is going to be more "valuable". Get the one you will shoot. 9mm fast moving lighter cartridge, .45 heavy and slower.

tntmo
12-07-2011, 3:01 PM
I just picked up a 995TS a couple months ago. The price was right, and I know that Hi-Point isn't regarded as a good company by a lot of people but it's a solid weapon. Straight out of the box, it was dead-nuts accurate and I went through 500 rounds with no issues. Cleaned it up and it's waiting for another outdoor shooting adventure.

I suspect I'll be enjoying this 'junk Lopoint" for a long time.

Mr. Casull
12-07-2011, 5:51 PM
I recently purchased a 45 ACP Hi-Point carbine at Turner's in Orange. It is a Christmas president from my wife so I haven't shot it yet. I toyed with getting the 9mm, but I already have an UZI and a Sub9 so don't need another under graduate round. They offer a lifetime no BS warranty so repairs won't be a problem. Also from my research on the web the 45 does not have issues.

Capt Jack
12-07-2011, 7:29 PM
Nutnfancy sure did like his! Let us know how she shoots! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouqWxI9oLG8

Blaze Kenobi
12-08-2011, 12:29 AM
I recently purchased a 45 ACP Hi-Point carbine at Turner's in Orange. It is a Christmas president from my wife so I haven't shot it yet. I toyed with getting the 9mm, but I already have an UZI and a Sub9 so don't need another under graduate round. They offer a lifetime no BS warranty so repairs won't be a problem. Also from my research on the web the 45 does not have issues.

"It is a Christmas president from my wife so I haven't shot it yet."

"They offer a lifetime no BS warranty so repairs won't be a problem"

That has to be the coolest toy this December. I have never gotten a Xmas president from anyone. U going to take him down to the range or out to the desert to shoot him? J/k.

Cali-Shooter
12-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I'd go with the 995TS due to being cheaper to plink with. Plus, Hi-Point's 9mm carbines have always been a highlight product from them.

dieselpower
12-08-2011, 6:31 AM

Sorry, I don't have to stick my hand in a fire to know it's hot

So a reliable and accurate rifle with a LIFETIME warranty is junk...:rolleyes:

diego-ted
12-08-2011, 6:37 AM
I swear by my ts in 9 mil. No ftf,frenabd dead nuts out to 150yrds

dieselpower
12-08-2011, 5:45 PM
I swear by my ts in 9 mil. No ftf,frenabd dead nuts out to 150yrds

Define, "frenabd". Maybe use it in another sentence for me.

:D

bsg
12-08-2011, 6:11 PM
it may be of interest to you to visit the "Hi-Point Firearms Forums." the "Hi-Point Carbines" section of the forum is dedicated to the Hi-Point carbine.

diego-ted
12-08-2011, 7:39 PM
Define, "frenabd". Maybe use it in another sentence for me.

:D

Fat fingers on a cell phone, what I meant was no FTF, FTE and dead nuts out to 150 yards. I love mine!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/Misc%20pics/teds995.jpg

zfields
12-08-2011, 7:44 PM
Fat fingers on a cell phone, what I meant was no FTF, FTE and dead nuts out to 150 yards. I love mine!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/Misc%20pics/teds995.jpg

with the ATI stock and some love, they look awesome

*NOT MINE*
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1654/pict0010v.jpg

h0use
12-08-2011, 11:43 PM

*NOT MINE*

Love how that looks!! The accessories on that hipoint cost triple the amount of that gun! but basses rifle. There dead on out of the box! I hate to say this but I like shooting my hipoint more than my lwrc ar

j.primo
12-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I have the 4595tsca and it's awesome. I don't have experience with the 995. Hi Point pistols jam a lot because of the magazine (yes I've had experience with the pistols) but the carbines are excellent. I got my 4595 from DD's ranch.

Good luck!
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y319/jprimitivo/2474647e.jpg

j.primo
12-09-2011, 12:03 AM
I forgot to mention, the 45 can use a slightly modified 1911 standard magazine, hi cap if you're ever in a free state. The only thing I don't like about it is the magazine release sucks with the BB, other than that, the carbine is all gravy.

diego-ted
12-09-2011, 6:18 AM
I have to respond to the hipoint pistol remark. Yes they can jam due to the mag but two minuets with some needel nose pliers will take care of that! I have hundreds Of rounds down my C9 and have never had a jam, FTF or FTE.

Diego

bsg
12-09-2011, 9:49 AM

*NOT MINE*

this does look interesting.

Mr. Casull
12-09-2011, 3:45 PM
So where did you get the fake can? Also the stock? Looks downright sweet!

Capt Jack
12-09-2011, 5:49 PM
So where did you get the fake can? Also the stock? Looks downright sweet!

Its an ATI stock that converts it, not sure about the fake can, but you can probably get better info at the hipoint forum.
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/

The link to the Stock:
http://atigunstocks.com/p-30-hi-point-stock-9mm-carbine-replacement-stock.aspx

bsg
12-09-2011, 9:01 PM
I recently purchased a 45 ACP Hi-Point carbine at Turner's in Orange. It is a Christmas president from my wife so I haven't shot it yet.

i'd say that's a pretty nice gift; congratulations.

dodge
12-09-2011, 11:55 PM
I just picked up a 995TS a couple months ago. The price was right, and I know that Hi-Point isn't regarded as a good company by a lot of people but it's a solid weapon. Straight out of the box, it was dead-nuts accurate and I went through 500 rounds with no issues. Cleaned it up and it's waiting for another outdoor shooting adventure.

I suspect I'll be enjoying this 'junk Lopoint" for a long time.
sure, that pot metal clang may not be nearly as romantic as steel slapping together, but who cares. it will be fun to shoot, easy to feed & reliable. regardless of whether it breaks down or not. the customer service, aka mother, is always willing to take care of her own. they also do kewl things, like reward loyal customers w/2 or 3 magazines, returned w/their repaired pistol/carbine. which typically sells another whatever that party doesn't own yet. partially the reason i posted that 'hi point fever' thread elsewhere earlier today. seems to be contagious......
i've already read enough throw it in the camp fire quotes, naturally by mostly non owners :p
or people that haven't even fired their friends or held one. it's a special kind of ugly only a parent can appreciate. @ least it is so far for me.....

went w/995fg fl ts, got the folding grip & little 150 lumen light that i figured would be junk, yet brighter than my 120 lumen sig sauer tatctical light. so i know, it's @ least close to range that they're claiming. has a kewl little qr mount & literally lights the house up whether lit already or not. even came w/it's on little sling & swivel mounting points & buis co witness w/primary arms micro dot looks to be about ideal, but won't know for sure until it take the time to sight it in. probably tomorrow, kind of depends on where we end up going to shoot. ie. if i have a stable enough base. have a bore sighter so shouldn't take much time to zero
also needed subsonic & know 147 9, cause i know it is slow enough for my indoor range, that's less than 5 miles from my place :cool2:

ho, ho, hi point, away!!!! congrats, on having a partner that's supportive of this vice. i'm just lucky my lady like shooting nearly as much as myself. :)

i believe a few of the peeps on hi points' forum have over 1k rounds though their 4595, so sounds like it's gonna be reliable & if not, a quick round trip to ohio & back for the lifetime of the weapon, not the owner. what's cracking me up; is the realization that some of these rifles/pistols, will be around longer than their owners. lol that's just silly, not to take advantage while they're building their customer base. also, prices are all over the board, nationally speaking. sometimes a c9 goes for 125$ like the one never shot & returned i bought. or as high as 179$. most shop owners w/busier shops claim they average a little over 7 or more per week in sales of pistols/carbines combined. w/most owners returning to pick up another caliber.
the c9 is becoming difficult to find in stock, i've read anyways. keiths, my shop, seems to always have something in stock i want or need to own. i went w/the 995 due to needing subsonic speed @ indoor range & the expense of ammo. next carbine from hp, will be the bigger brother 45. one of the other posters said they let their father in law shoot their 4595 & didn't get it back for over an hour. w/pops being completely sold on the kit after his first exposure to the brand.

i bought 2 pistols, a carbine & 100 rnds of 45 for less than 600$ otd w/backbground check free; cause it's christmas, i guess. keiths way of thanking me for staying local. anyway, how can anyone find fault w/that?
& as far as functionality other than poor feeding, due to powder coated ramp, polished & already resolved. or the minor lips being a bit crooked on their mags, easily corrected w/some needle nose pliers. these are proving to be extremely reliable.
one of the fellow board members, has over 2k rounds through his 995 & nothing. not one hi cup & his whole family seems to enjoy their rifle.
my 522 only last about 300 rnds before the little e clip failed & nearly left me w/out something to shoot one day. i was super lucky & found that tiny clip on the ground & re assembled w/an extra one going the opposite direction. w/it's first tear down after purchase, i emailed sig, telling them this little clip is gonna fail, before it actually failed. & had already gone to ace & acquired more clips to replace; whenever it was bound to happen.
on the pistol prepping, also polished dolls head & anywhere it was clear the slide was dragging on the polymer frame & my pistol has about 1/2 the energy needed now to rack the slide on the c9.
my wife thinks the carbine is bad arse. calls it 'zeus' & the jhp acp 45 pistol is 'brutus'. not sure what we'll call the 9. but whatever. we're living the hi point dream :)

how many people own 2k$ 1911s that have ftf or fte; & admit it. come on, almost anything of a mechanical nature is prone to fail @ some point.
i know i'm preaching to the choir currently, but confident they'll be more members sooner than later. it's too good of a value, american designed, made, manufactured & repaired; all on u.s. soil. that's got to be @ least a little bit of a selling point; right??

regardless, am pleased w/my catch & will share whatever information i experience whether good or bad. w/most things, it usually comes down to the owner & how they treat it or not. i know one shop owner is literally shooting a c9 til it breaks. he hasn't done anything to it & apparently never had any magazine feeding problems or ftf, fte or stove pipe & he's well over 3 or 4k rounds already. for a 9mm piece of junk, it sure does throw a lot of lead down range, eh?
what finally convinced me to go take a look & feel them out @ my shop, was a video of a shooter in broken arrow, ok that shot a match, w/a fresh out of the box c9. they didn't touch magazines or ramp, not even oiled. literally all new mags & pistol all randomly chosen fresh out of packaging. & it showed. a couple of the mags keep mis- feeding. he must of racked the side 16 or more times, during this 3 minute or so demonstration. he placed 4th over all for time on course, out of 48 shooters & 1st in accuracy. that's better than 90% isn't it?

greatly appreciate everyone that did take the time to comment. no matter if you're a fan & are being supportive or not. the truth is all i'm really seeking. some like, others, not so much. yet, it's all good. i did read through entire thread. so thanks for helping me out w/this decision making process. it wasn't that difficult to decide, due to 9 shooting the flattest out of the options & wanting to hit 100 yds. hoping for 2-3" groups out of a short barreled, urban police utility rifle. lol
but was already kind of convinced the 9 would be the most ideal choice. will post up groups @ 15/25/50/75 & 100 yds. once i've worked my way out to that range w/this rifle. & will do the same w/the pistols. am sure some of this testing will be laughable, but should make for some decent conversation & from what i've experienced so far & read, should make for a life long companion.
the triplets & i have a date tomorrow in the woods.:) wife hasn't fired a round out of either, so should be good times. other than this darned bone chilling weather. @ least it'll be dry.

special thanks to zfields for showing off someones' supermodel.
i'm not completely sold on the ati stock just yet, but that capture could push anyone over the edge. great motivational photo

let's not forget how i dressed my 522 predator w/olive drab furniture & 15 lbs of accessories lol
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q66/redridinghood11/multiplecapturesincludingcarmelvalley034.jpg

have a great weekend everybody,
cheers

kewl, finally found the darned video......
forgot to mention, one of washington state current top womens comp. shooting. has been placing well enough w/her c9; that more women are showing up them @ matches = )

this dealer, is the same guy trying to break a c9. don't know if he's not cleaning it, pretty sure he's running it dry ie. no oil

sweet, found that youtube link
here's that demo that sold me, even w/all the racking
enjoy
)jog ahead to 5:30 to avoid the chatter(
qB6v3kZjBWA

(posted from home in n.w.)