PDA

View Full Version : Pre Ban and Post Ban AR uppers?

Bull's_eye
12-07-2011, 1:29 AM
I am in the process of building my first AR. Have a stripped Stag lower that's in jail.

I will be researching/saving up for an upper for a little while, and while browsing the internet I have been seeing pre ban and post ban labels on upper receivers.

I have yet to see this mentioned here on CalGuns over the year or so I have been lurking/posting. What does this refer to, and does this apply to CA?

An example:

http://www.riflegear.com/p-47-stag-arms-model-2ht-complete-upper.aspx

The link refers to it as a "pre-ban" upper half.

To my knowledge, all I need is to slap a bullet button on my lower, and I'm good to go. Am I correct?

nick
12-07-2011, 1:36 AM
Post-ban vs. pre-ban distinction has become obsolete when the Federal AWB sunsetted in 2005. However, information seems to take a while to propagate among the crusty and crotchety types :)

The distinction was that post-ban uppers (and other parts) didn't have certain features that were banned by the 1994 AWB, such as bayonet lugs, for example. From the current legal standpoint, there's no difference between post-ban and pre-ban uppers. From the feature/functionality standpoint, well, just look at what the "post-ban" upper's missing, and see if it makes sense to you.

nick
12-07-2011, 1:39 AM
And before the critics jump in, yes, pre-ban/post-ban feature set is still relevant in places like New York, where they pretty much copied the Federal AWB, and the bayonet lugs are still very evil. However, we don't live in New York... And yes, I just love saying it :p

MrPlink
12-07-2011, 5:09 AM
However, we don't live in New York... And yes, I just love saying it :p

there are trade offs..

do they have bullet buttons or fin grips?

dieselpower
12-07-2011, 5:55 AM
And before the critics jump in, yes, pre-ban/post-ban feature set is still relevant in places like New York, where they pretty much copied the Federal AWB, and the bayonet lugs are still very evil. However, we don't live in New York... And yes, I just love saying it :p

Its still relevant here too... do you think people wouldnt mind buying an Upper and finding out later that it has no bayonet lug, and either a fake flash suppressor or no threads? People in Texas would be a little upset when they got their S&W M&P15CA in the mail. Terms matter to everyone. Post-Ban and Pre-Ban are terms very relevant to everyone.

Vendors sell to everyone, therefore they need to describe things the best way possible.

Post-ban = no bayonet lug and either no threads / no muzzle device at all, or a permanently attached muzzle brake, no flash hider.

Bull's_eye
12-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the clarification guys.