PDA

View Full Version : "Breaking in the barrel"

Uku Pacha
12-06-2011, 8:23 PM
(clean/shoot/clean/shoot etc.)

Do you guys do this? Would you recommend this?

People seem to have different opinions on the effectiveness of it.

(This is for an FN SCAR 16s)

Merc1138
12-06-2011, 8:27 PM
We just went over this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=505763

Opinions mean squat when there are no results.

"Does barrel break in do anything?"
"I think it does"
well it doesn't matter what you think, if it doesn't accomplish anything then it isn't worth doing. It either has an effect or it doesn't, and no one seems to be able to show that it has any actual effect.

okglockman
12-06-2011, 8:30 PM
I've personally done it.... Shoot a round....clean the bore...let it cool.....and repeat... I've seen no difference in accuracy in other guns that I just run ammo through right out of the box.

17+1
12-06-2011, 8:32 PM
Patch it out before the first firing.

From then on just shoot it and clean when accuracy starts to fall off. From my experience, the military barrels shoot better when they're a little fouled. Don't bother cleaning until the groups open up.

UNDFTD
12-06-2011, 8:51 PM
Before you get your barrel don't manufacturers shoot a few rounds to test it before sending out? Doesn't this void the whole "barrel break in" thing? (because they obviously don't have any of these weird rituals I hear people do)

Merc1138
12-06-2011, 8:56 PM
Before you get your barrel don't manufacturers shoot a few rounds to test it before sending out? Doesn't this void the whole "barrel break in" thing? (because they obviously don't have any of these weird rituals I hear people do)

Not really, because they only fire a couple of rounds compared to the silly rituals that involve anything from 5 rounds with 60 seconds of cooldown between shots then 10 patches, repeat 10 times. Or the even more ridiculous tales that involve running lapping compounds down the bore between individual shots.

So as long as your particular break-in ritual doesn't involve the first shots fired on the 13th hour of the first full moon of the month and the 11th hour of the first new moon in a month that ends in R while playing 99 luftballons on a walkman and wearing a minimum of 4 ounces of spandex, the silly superstitions will probably still work for you just fine.

jvpark
12-07-2011, 12:49 AM
If you have a chromed lined barrel there is nothing to break in.... If there were imperfections in the barrel before it was chrome line. All the shooting you will do wont remove / change squat.

sixzulu
12-07-2011, 2:00 AM
So as long as your particular break-in ritual doesn't involve the first shots fired on the 13th hour of the first full moon of the month and the 11th hour of the first new moon in a month that ends in R while playing 99 luftballons on a walkman and wearing a minimum of 4 ounces of spandex, the silly superstitions will probably still work for you just fine.

^This works for me. "The war machine springs to life" :TFH:

Either that or just shoot and enjoy.

MrPlink
12-07-2011, 4:17 AM
First time I heard this was from an older guy a few years ago when I was on the range firing a new AK.

At first I freaked out, and looked at my gun and thought, WHAT HAVE I DONE!

Then I remembered 1) It's an AK, who are you kidding? and 2) Never done it before, never had any issues.

Urban myth IMO

adrenaline
12-07-2011, 5:04 AM
I have chrome lined barrel and am still in break in mode. I have about 400 rounds through it and don't think it has completed break-in. In fact, I need to shoot more rounds through it this weekend. My wife let's me go shooting multiple times a month if she knows I'm still trying to break-in the rifle. :43:;)

I told her once I reach 5000 rounds it will be ready for SHTF. :D

Mail Clerk
12-07-2011, 5:30 AM
(clean/shoot/clean/shoot etc.)

Do you guys do this? Would you recommend this?

People seem to have different opinions on the effectiveness of it.

(This is for an FN SCAR 16s)

Uku Pacha,

You never said what type of rifle your shooting but if the barrels not chromed lined like most AR's it needs about a couple hundred rounds of shooting to break in the bore and put a polish on the lands.

If it's a standard non-chrome lined barrel then it depends on wether you have a bolt action or a semi.

rimfire,22

Merc1138
12-07-2011, 8:09 AM
Uku Pacha,

You never said what type of rifle your shooting but if the barrels not chromed lined like most AR's it needs about a couple hundred rounds of shooting to break in the bore and put a polish on the lands.

If it's a standard non-chrome lined barrel then it depends on wether you have a bolt action or a semi.

rimfire,22

:facepalm:

Where is the data to support that? Why would bolt action or semi-auto make a difference? What about other designs that aren't semi?

With all of the money involved in the gun industry, testing shouldn't be that difficult yet no one has published any result proving that barrel break-in does anything. Also, why are you buying barrels that still need polishing?

Reductio
12-07-2011, 8:34 AM
TRRahHX9Zkg

msand951
12-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Its no myth, These guys just dont want you to out shoot them. I did exactly what they did in this video and im shooting dime size groups @ 1000yrds with my Ak.:p

TRRahHX9Zkg

captbilly
12-07-2011, 1:02 PM
Though there are a number of really high precision barrel makers, Kreiger is one of the oldest and most respected in America. They hand polish the bore on all their barrels (something that no mass produced barrel has) which greatly reduces break in time, but even with a polished barrel they do recommend a fire - clean - fire break in. With a mass produced (button rifled or hammer rifled) barrel it will take considerably longer to smooth the bore to the point that the rifle settles into consistent accuracy. I don't think that there is any real harm in not breaking in the barrel, it will just not shoot quite as consistently as it might if it were broken in properly. You could always go back and clean out the copper and eventually got the lands and grooves smoothed out.

There is definitely a break in period for an auto loader. There are lots of moving parts that will wear in so that the mating surfaces match. Just as with Krieger's polishing of the bore, to speed up break in, some manufacturers do finer finish work on the moving parts of their guns than others. I once had a DPMS LR 308 that would jam about 1 shot out of 3. I probably could have simply shot it a bunch to "break it in" but I chose instead to polish all the mating surfaces of the moving parts. Since then the gun has not had a single malfunction on a wide range of ammo.

MrPlink
12-07-2011, 2:24 PM
There is definitely a break in period for an auto loader. There are lots of moving parts that will wear in so that the mating surfaces match. Just as with Krieger's polishing of the bore, to speed up break in, some manufacturers do finer finish work on the moving parts of their guns than others. I once had a DPMS LR 308 that would jam about 1 shot out of 3. I probably could have simply shot it a bunch to "break it in" but I chose instead to polish all the mating surfaces of the moving parts. Since then the gun has not had a single malfunction on a wide range of ammo.

these are two very different dynamics at play, only having friction in common

wtkaiser
12-07-2011, 3:49 PM
Dime sized groups at 1000 yards??? Methinks there be one too many zeroes in that statement.

Merc1138
12-07-2011, 3:55 PM
Dime sized groups at 1000 yards??? Methinks there be one too many zeroes in that statement.

The amount of zeroes is correct, you're missing the humor in the statement.

Watch the video, spot the sarcasm.

GM4spd
12-07-2011, 3:58 PM
http://www.fototime.com/F3B80EB5172F75A/standard.jpg

jvpark
12-07-2011, 4:14 PM
Its no myth, These guys just dont want you to out shoot them. I did exactly what they did in this video and im shooting dime size groups @ 1000yrds with my Ak.:p

I CANNOT AGREE WITH YOU BECAUSE WE WOULD BOTH BE WRONG.:)

msand951
12-07-2011, 8:59 PM
ok this :oji:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjbnYm_HmXg

khaze
12-07-2011, 9:29 PM
No wonder mine don't shoot well...cow barrel and not broke in properly..

Merc1138
12-07-2011, 9:32 PM
No wonder mine don't shoot well...cow barrel and not broke in properly..

Huh? Are you one of those guys who makes a few random nonsense posts and then spams the forum with a URL about some clothing for sale out of the blue?

marathonman
12-08-2011, 6:00 AM
Huh? Are you one of those guys who makes a few random nonsense posts and then spams the forum with a URL about some clothing for sale out of the blue?

Check out the video then his comment makes sense and is funny

Merc1138
12-08-2011, 7:47 AM
Check out the video then his comment makes sense and is funny

Oh crap, I totally forgot about the bull/cow barrel thing so that post just looked really random, my bad.

CK_32
12-08-2011, 8:33 AM
Again... :facepalm:

CHS
12-08-2011, 9:21 AM
"Does barrel break in do anything?"
"I think it does"
well it doesn't matter what you think, if it doesn't accomplish anything then it isn't worth doing. It either has an effect or it doesn't, and no one seems to be able to show that it has any actual effect.

QFT!!

People keep being convinced that there is "something to it" regarding shoot-clean-shoot-clean barrel breaking in when there is absolutely no data to support their claims. They are basing this entirely off of bad advice and "feelings" rather than logic, fact, or science.

While you're at it, pick up one of those magnetic bracelets to refocus your chi and purify your essence.

This is elementary school level science, people. If there is no data to support your hypothethis, then ITS WRONG.

NO ONE has been able to do a controlled study and show ANY DATA at all that barrel "break in" works.

blastbear100
12-09-2011, 9:55 PM
I don't wanna hijack the thread, and if I am, please tell me and I'll just shut up. But is it true that when you first fire a brand new gun, you need to use match grade ammo? Is there any special advantage?

BTW, it's a bolt action 22-250, Thanks!

Merc1138
12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
QFT!!

People keep being convinced that there is "something to it" regarding shoot-clean-shoot-clean barrel breaking in when there is absolutely no data to support their claims. They are basing this entirely off of bad advice and "feelings" rather than logic, fact, or science.

While you're at it, pick up one of those magnetic bracelets to refocus your chi and purify your essence.

This is elementary school level science, people. If there is no data to support your hypothethis, then ITS WRONG.

NO ONE has been able to do a controlled study and show ANY DATA at all that barrel "break in" works.

Exactly. The firearm industry a multi-billion dollar a year global industry. If someone could show some proof that using cleaning product X between shots made a difference, they'd have done it by now.

Is it possible that barrels might get better in the future? Sure, with different materials and manufacturing techniques. But no amount of voodoo is going to change anything.

I don't wanna hijack the thread, and if I am, please tell me and I'll just shut up. But is it true that when you first fire a brand new gun, you need to use match grade ammo? Is there any special advantage?

BTW, it's a bolt action 22-250, Thanks!

No.

The only advantage is that if your gun is accurate enough, and you're an accurate enough shooter, match grade ammo will be more accurate(it's more consistent, sometimes uses heaver/specialized bullets, etc.). Reloading and tuning things for your specific gun can get you better results than factory loaded match grade ammo.

freonr22
12-09-2011, 10:02 PM
seriously, any thoughts on a quick semichrome hand lapping?