PDA

View Full Version : Parkerized AR15 Barrel Looks Like Crap

aermotor
12-06-2011, 7:49 PM
I painted my AR a while back and ending up getting sick of it, so I undertook the death throw is stripping the paint off of the entire thing. Yikes.

Anyway, it's all done and pretty decent, except the barrel and front sight look like shiny, light grey colored crap. Is there anyway I can get them back to a matte type finish and darker without having them re-parked or painted? I DON'T want to paint any surface on this.

Suggestions and tips would be great.

ETA: Is there anything I can do like dipping the hot barrel in used oil or something? Anything to darken it up a bit and flatten it out. No idea.

It's hard to really tell from the pic, but it's a lot lighter and shinier grey.

http://aermotorstudio.com/calguns/ar15-park.jpg

Cali-Shooter
12-06-2011, 7:52 PM
Pics? Give us an idea of how crappy it looks aesthetically.

Sent from Black Mesa Research Facility, Level 3 Dormitories, Room 309.

targetarcher
12-06-2011, 7:55 PM
Step one- get an entirely carbon steel AR....

The paint is probably in the pores of the parking, just like normally oil is (that's why it's a rust preventative).

(Edit- now that you've decided to try hard anodizing the entire thing instead of parkerizing, step one becomes "aquire an aluminum barrel and bolt carrier group". Let me know how that turns out)

Distro
12-06-2011, 8:03 PM
Get some dust on it. The shine will go away.

aermotor
12-06-2011, 8:04 PM
Step one- get an entirely carbon steel AR....

The paint is probably in the pores of the parking, just like normally oil is (that's why it's a rust preventative).

(Edit- now that you've decided to try hard anodizing the entire thing instead of parkerizing, step one becomes "aquire an aluminum barrel and bolt carrier group". Let me know how that turns out)

Updated original post, forgive my coating of materials ignorance.

Get some dust on it. The shine will go away.

Not a bad idea, though not sure how permanent the dirt will be. Maybe if it can work into the metal.

shark92651
12-06-2011, 8:22 PM
Buy a small bottle of Dicropan T-4 from Brownells, heat up the barrel and sight with a torch or heat gun and rub it all over the sight and barrel.

aermotor
12-06-2011, 8:29 PM
Buy a small bottle of Dicropan T-4 from Brownells, heat up the barrel and sight with a torch or heat gun and rub it all over the sight and barrel.

That's the type of answer I'm looking for. Thank you! Do I need to degrease it first?

shark92651
12-06-2011, 8:39 PM
That's the type of answer I'm looking for. Thank you! Do I need to degrease it first?

That would help to ensure an even finish. Don't expect miracles, but put it on very generously and let it sit for a few minutes before you wipe off the excess and it will darken it up. Heat definitely helps.

6mmintl
12-06-2011, 9:04 PM
Keep it in a glass case? its a tool, not artwork.

17+1
12-06-2011, 9:37 PM
Use a sooty flame to dull the sights.

Anyone that shoots irons should know this...;)

aermotor
12-06-2011, 9:52 PM
Keep it in a glass case? its a tool, not artwork.

Should I put you in a glass case as well :p

Thanks for the tips guys.

17+1
12-07-2011, 6:01 AM
Should I put you in a glass case as well :p

Thanks for the tips guys.

6mmIntl seems gruff, but my wife calls him the 'big teddy bear'.

He's been around the matches for years...knows what he's talking about.

aermotor
12-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Just because something is a tool doesn't mean it can't look good. People say this all the time about ARs ad nauseum.

Noah3683
12-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Just because something is a tool doesn't mean it can't look good. People say this all the time about ARs ad nauseum.

I actually agree with this. I have well over $30,000-$40,000 in snap-on tools. They have been used daily for many many years. In fact 70% of them are well over 30 years old. Some upwards of 50 that were passed down from my father who also used them daily. They are in pristine condition and always taken care of. Not exactly the same thing, but the point is

Dannicus
12-08-2011, 1:20 PM
Consecutive mag dumps might do the trick...:cool: