PDA

View Full Version : 22LR 1911 as first hand gun?

blackberg
03-02-2007, 8:15 PM
Hi All,

ok so I am thinking of getting my first handgun, dont know why but I have not really been into handguns for some reason. But Seeing all the 1911 pics here has made me want one.

I have seen the suggestions of how you should start with a small caliber then work up so you can develop a good habit and not develop any bad habits.

Since most likely I would want a normal 1911, would it be wise to get a 22LR 1911 and start of with that and develop a good shooting habit and then move up? at the same time gain shooting experience with the 1911 platform?

I was thinking of a kimber factory 22LR, not a conversion kit.

I tend to keep my old stuff even after I upgrade, so in the end I would have 2 guns (at least:D )

Any suggestions?

thanks

losangeles
03-02-2007, 9:25 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that approach. Me, if I were to take that route, I'd probably go with the full caliber version and have a conversion kit. Then, when you can train with all the feel and grip of the gun you will be using minus the recoil. At some point when you are comfortable with the major caliber, you can always switch back and forth.

And for later, it's cheaper to shoot .22lr so you can get a lot of practice on the fundamentals that way and always end a session with the full caliber.

edsel6502
03-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Get a 1911 and a .22 conversion kit.

The conversion kit should teach you the in and outs of your 1911 without having to deal with the recoil of a .45

Once you got the hang of your 1911 in .22 switch over to .45. At this point, you would have gain good muscle memory habits.

Also, on a little tangent do not underestimate the help that attending some pistol classes can give to you as a first time handgunner.

asintado
03-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Making a 1911 a dedicated .22lr platform sounds like a waste of a 1911 and buying a .22lr 1911 off the shelf can be pricey. I say purchase an inexpensive 1911 and a .22lr conversion kit and start there. At least you have the option of shooting either caliber. Later on if you decide to upgrade to a quality 1911 you always have the option of keeping your inexpensive 1911 as a .22lr pistol or use it as a base to learn how to build up a .45 acp 1911.

Astig Boy
03-03-2007, 2:00 AM
Agreed with everyone else on here. Get both...but be sure to practice first with the 22lr and then move to the 45. And dont let the hyped up 45 recoil scare you, the 45 is not all that bad to shoot and start off with.

blackberg
03-03-2007, 10:42 PM
thanks all,

a conversion kit sounds good, what is the better kit? the kimber?

my thing in the conversion was that I would have to buy a 1911, then the conversion kit. while a dedicated is just one expenditure, and may be cheaper than the pistol and kit. On the other hand, buying 2 guns is more money than buying one and a kit, but I would have 2 guns :D .

I am definetly planning on pistol classes, dont want to develop a bad habit at all.

thanks

leelaw
03-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Get a Kimber, and also a .22lr conversion kit.

thomye
03-03-2007, 10:56 PM
i have the kimber conversion and the only thing i don't like about it is that the slide does not lock back after last round is fired. I heard that advantage arms does and one other one, marvel. I personally liked the kimber for look and quality but the slide thing is a little annoying.

Travis
03-04-2007, 5:50 PM
I also vote for a Kimber and a conversion kit.

zefflyn
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
i have the kimber conversion and the only thing i don't like about it is that the slide does not lock back after last round is fired. I heard that advantage arms does and one other one, marvel. I personally liked the kimber for look and quality but the slide thing is a little annoying.

The Marvel units don't lock back. They are made of aluminum (otherwise a .22 couldn't blow-back the slide) and locking-back on the steel slide stop would wear out the notch.
http://www.marvelprod.com/beauty.htm

The Marvel is more accurate than the Kimber, because the barrel clamps down on the slide stop and doesn't move.

But on the original question, I don't know how much cash you have, but you're on the path of Much Expense. A Kimber .22 costs around $700 - same as the regular .45's. A conversion kit is about $300, same as a quality .22 handgun. If you get a .45 and conversion kit, that'll be around $1,000 for one-and-a-half guns.

Just get something like the Ruger 22/45, for the price of a conversion kit. After you've shot that to your heart's content, pick up a 1911 - you'll have two handguns and can take a buddy shooting. :D

Ninja45
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Now, that is a better plan!!!

I went that route, buying a Ruger 22/45 which is a 22 semi-auto pistol with controls similar to the 1911 (slide stop, mag release, and safety), but at a price of a .22 conversion kit. I use the pistol for training new shooters I am able to introduce to the shooting sports.

Ninja45