PDA

View Full Version : Campfire pizza (pics)

problemchild
12-06-2011, 4:44 PM
I actually made this in my oven with a cast iron skillet and lid but it was only a test
to see if it could be done over a fire.

The dang pizza came out excellent and my wife, who is not a fan of pizza, ate half of it.

For the dough I used:

Thin crust (crunchy)
1.25 C all purpose flour
1/2tsp yeast (optional)
1/2 C warm water (mix water and yeast 10 mins ahead of time)
1 tbsp olive oil or any oil you have
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic
few shakes of oregano
some pesto if you have it
any optional seasoning you want (jalapenos would be great)

Mix water, yeast and balance of ingredients. Make into a dough ball and add a
bit of flour to make a non sticky dough. Knead as much as you feel like.
Couple mins should be good. Stretch or roll out on flat surface and wax paper or
floured foil. I used a smooth tall coffee cup to roll it out. Let sit for a few minutes
( I did 10 mins).

Add pizza sauce from can or jar but not too thick (nice thin coating 1/8th inch)
Add cheese (white and orange)
add meat or veggies (I used ham and pineapple)
slide off foil or wax paper into skillet the best you can
Put lid on skillet and place in fire, add coals to top and check often
(or oven at 425-475f for 10-20 mins give or take)

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/pizza.jpg

jonc
12-06-2011, 4:49 PM
that looks great!!!!!!!:43:

ExAcHog
12-06-2011, 4:59 PM
Okay....I have done ALOT of cast iron cooking, but I have never thought about pizza. I tip my hat to you problemchild.

TrailerparkTrash
12-06-2011, 5:15 PM
That looks awesome!!!!! You just gave me an idea to use my dutch oven for pizza! With the dutch oven, just a few hot coals can be placed on the lid as well as bottom and sides to get a perfect "hot" cooking area.

Just a very few coals is all it takes for a dutch oven. Otherwise the food gets burned quickly.

Thanks for posting!

Salty
12-06-2011, 5:23 PM
Nice!

Thought: Prepare it in take-and-bake fashion at home for easier campsite cooking?

problemchild
12-06-2011, 5:44 PM
Nice!

Thought: Prepare it in take-and-bake fashion at home for easier campsite cooking?

Great Idea. Make 5 of them and freeze them up in plastic wrap.

chris
12-06-2011, 7:38 PM
Okay....I have done ALOT of cast iron cooking, but I have never thought about pizza. I tip my hat to you problemchild.

cooking with cast iron is the way to go. an ex i had hated them.

Cali-Shooter
12-06-2011, 7:56 PM
It looks like standard microwave pizza (in a good way). Nice work, looks tasty as hell too!

TurboChrisB
12-06-2011, 8:10 PM
Uhhh...Yum!!!

Scout2Diesel
12-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Now I'm really sad I missed getting the cast iron skillet with the lid before they were sold out. Good idea to just use the Dutchoven! Thanks for the dough recipe!

ireload
12-07-2011, 3:55 AM
Hey did you copy my recipe PC? Lol. I did the same thing with my camp dutch oven over two years ago. I used the 400 deg f. temp since I did not want to take a chance of burning it. The ingredients were similar to yours. I pulled it off the internet. I used Canadian bacon and panchetta. Not too much panchetta though. It will make the pizza on the salty side. But I took a short cut on the dough though. Got mine ready made. Mine came just a hair under done.

FatCity67
12-07-2011, 7:33 AM
YUM!!! Hawaiian!!! pass the BBQ sauce please.