PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning products

lcpl. huynh
03-02-2007, 7:35 PM
I have a question for everybody. What cleaning products do you guys swear by? What magical solvent(s) would make my rifle immaculately clean and hostile to carbon and rust?

Technical Ted
03-02-2007, 7:46 PM
Elbow grease

ocabj
03-02-2007, 7:47 PM
Butch's Bore Shine or Montana Xtreme are the two latest and greatest solvents (both carbon, powder, and copper fouling) right now. Used by benchrest shooters. I'm using Montana Xtreme right now. Same for bore oil.

lcpl. huynh
03-02-2007, 8:22 PM
Elbow grease

haha, yea, and a million q-tips! mmmmmm, gotta love that carbon, its the gift that keeps on giving.

blkA4alb
03-02-2007, 8:30 PM
Jardines Extreme grease, Slip2000, and CLP.

24_minutes_to_1000
03-02-2007, 9:05 PM
I used to buy commercial cleaners until I found this website:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I'm now using a couple of these formulas with wonderful success, and they're easier on the wallet.

As an aside, I also make my own laundry detergent for 1.5 cents a load, and it works better than anything I've ever bought commercially, so I'm a believer in do-it-yourself solutions.

FinweElensar
03-03-2007, 1:11 AM
I use Mpro7 on my sigs so I use that on my AR as well... CLP afterwards

cgmoe
03-03-2007, 5:27 AM
Ed's RED is great

Gshock
03-03-2007, 10:41 AM
anyone try this militec-1
http://www.laniganperformance.com/advantages_over_clp.html

ocabj
03-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I use Militec to lube my ARs and even my reloading tools.

Militec is a lubricant only. It is not a rust preventative nor a cleaning solvent.

Militec is a far better lubricant than CLP, especially in dusty environments, because it does not gum up when it comes into contact with dust, dirt, or carbon/powder fouling. I switched from CLP to Militec in all my firearms because of this specific issue.

I still use CLP to clean certain items, but I then clean the CLP off completely and use Militec or another lubricant afterwards.

Gshock
03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
thanks for the info ocabj

ViPER395
03-03-2007, 4:09 PM
Outer's Nitro Solvent

Hoppe's Elite

Breakfree CLP

Mnort10x
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I've tried it all and I'm staying with

EEZOX

Really great!
But smells a bit like Desitin Ointment,
(I've wondered if it would also help with diaper rash:D )

http://www.eezox.info/

Really displaces moisture, I've tried all the other CLP's, but this stuff is heaver than water (sinks to the bottom of a glass of water, try that with oil) penetrates, wicks well, cleans, doesn't buildup and after it drys it's a great dry lubricant, does not attract dirt/dust. Best rust preventative I've found. I have all the other stuff in the garage but this is what I pick up.

</IMG>

phish
03-04-2007, 1:08 PM
I use Butch's when I feel my bores are getting pretty nasty, Kroil for in between major cleanups.

Blue Wonder's gel cleaner is also pretty good and not as harsh.

Andrew LB
03-08-2007, 1:40 AM

Just make sure you keep that stuff WELL AWAY from any firearm with a nicely finished wood stock/grip. It stripped the nice aged deep oil/stain finish off a section of the fore grip of my 40 year old bolt action remington target .22 cal rifle my dad got when he was a kid and passed it on to me.

But i will say it works wonders on the metal parts of my XD-9. Quick and easy, and no crazy fumes like butche's bore shine.

.... Hoppes is great too. Not too harsh and when i smell it it brings back memories of cleaning guns with my grandfather when i was very young. :)

creampuff
03-08-2007, 7:22 AM

Ditto for me; and if I think the gun will be stored away for a while, I may give it a blast of Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent.

chiefcrash
03-08-2007, 8:19 AM
Here's what i like to do with my guns:

First, I spray some Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner down there barrel, and leave it overnite

Push a few patches through the barrel. repeat again if the barrel has a LOT of copper and lead in it. Then i use some Hoppe's or Ed's Red, brush it out, some patches. Then another shot of Wipe-Out to leave overnite.

Then, push a few more patches down there barrel. If the gun has a gas system (like an AR), i spray some BreakFree powder blast down the gas tube. Some CLP in the bore to keep out the rust.

That's what I find works for me. Wipe-Out is pretty awesome at getting out the really nasty carbon and powder fouling + destroys all the copper. The brush just gets the little bit that's left.

XeRoFuN
03-08-2007, 8:24 AM
I use CLP, Eezox, and Militec. Depends on what mood I'm in. :D (Eezox or CLP to clean, and Militec for lube).

K9paulc
03-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Break Free CLP ,Mpro7, GunScrubber. Not in that particular order.

theholsterstorecom
03-15-2007, 2:14 PM
eezox Use it for ever.