PDA

View Full Version : just fired my AR today=happy camper!

jonjonkills101
12-06-2011, 12:58 PM
so finally took my piston AR out to test fire...

adams arms midlength upper
aero precision lower w/ DPMS lpk
(approx. 800 dollar build)

came together solid, didn't need an accuwedge or anything

and it was a success! it was only 60 rounds but they were 60 flawless rounds and the gun cycles nicely. i even did double taps and unloaded the mag as fast as i could to try and bring out problems, but nothing happened. it was my first self-assembled AR so i didn't know what to expect. everyone has their thoughts on the piston vs DI debate, but im glad i went that route.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jonjonkills101/photo-3.jpg

some things i noticed...i bought two 10/30 pmags, with the 10th round in there is very little play so i have to slam the mag to lock into the receiver. once its on, it is very rough to rack the rifle. most likely because of the minimal play its a tight fit. i was just wondering if this will eventually get better as i fire the rifle more often? other than that, everythings good

high_revs
12-06-2011, 1:10 PM
weird on the pmags. who did you get them from? i have 10/20 and 10/30. last round is not as tough as yours. Might want to drop them a note just in case. i don't recall a "break-in" on my pmags but I did get them all from one of our sponsors here - riflegear.

congrats on the build!

Bhobbs
12-06-2011, 1:16 PM
so finally took my piston AR out to test fire...

adams arms midlength upper
aero precision lower w/ DPMS lpk
(approx. 800 dollar build)

came together solid, didn't need an accuwedge or anything

and it was a success! it was only 60 rounds but they were 60 flawless rounds and the gun cycles nicely. i even did double taps and unloaded the mag as fast as i could to try and bring out problems, but nothing happened. it was my first self-assembled AR so i didn't know what to expect. everyone has their thoughts on the piston vs DI debate, but im glad i went that route.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jonjonkills101/photo-3.jpg

some things i noticed...i bought two 10/30 pmags, with the 10th round in there is very little play so i have to slam the mag to lock into the receiver. once its on, it is very rough to rack the rifle. most likely because of the minimal play its a tight fit. i was just wondering if this will eventually get better as i fire the rifle more often? other than that, everythings good

My 10/30 PMAGs are the same way. The 10th round is tough to get in. Instead of loading the mag with the bolt forward. Lock the bolt back, load mag and hit mag release. It will make seating the mag easier.

jonjonkills101
12-06-2011, 1:21 PM
I bought them at parallax tactical in san Diego. They're a good place and has been my go to place for my stuff. They convert in house and pin the floor plate. I had a friend who bought their pmags and they worked fine with his SW. I tried them on my brothers delton and it's tight too but not as tight as my rifle. I'm leaning on the Adams one piece dedicated piston bolt. It may be slightly larger so when the
Mag locks in the first round is sandwiched tight with the bolt which makes it hard to pull back. I know parallax has to ensure that only 10 rounds can fit so they have a very tight tolerance when they convert it. So iono I'll give them a call and see what they say

jonc
12-06-2011, 1:29 PM
simple and CLEAN!!!

Bhobbs
12-06-2011, 1:46 PM
I bought them at parallax tactical in san Diego. They're a good place and has been my go to place for my stuff. They convert in house and pin the floor plate. I had a friend who bought their pmags and they worked fine with his SW. I tried them on my brothers delton and it's tight too but not as tight as my rifle. I'm leaning on the Adams one piece dedicated piston bolt. It may be slightly larger so when the
Mag locks in the first round is sandwiched tight with the bolt which makes it hard to pull back. I know parallax has to ensure that only 10 rounds can fit so they have a very tight tolerance when they convert it. So iono I'll give them a call and see what they say

Try seating the mag with the bolt locked back. It should seat easily. Then you can just hit the bolt release.

Colt-45
12-06-2011, 2:01 PM
My 10/30 PMAGs are the same way. The 10th round is tough to get in. Instead of loading the mag with the bolt forward. Lock the bolt back, load mag and hit mag release. It will make seating the mag easier.

10/30's are just like this, and sorry it wont improve overtime, the mag wont get any looser. That's just a setback we have with the 10/30's. Some of my 10/30's don't even lock in place unless I lock the bolt back first then insert the magazine. It's not the gun, it's the magazine.

hcbr
12-06-2011, 2:06 PM
nice, glad to hear she can shoot :D

jonjonkills101
12-06-2011, 2:10 PM
10/30's are just like this, and sorry it wont improve overtime, the mag wont get any looser. That's just a setback we have with the 10/30's. Some of my 10/30's don't even lock in place unless I lock the bolt back first then insert the magazine. It's not the gun, it's the magazine.

i called parallax back adn they said they could san down the block for me for free, but they are a little far off from me. i actually knocked out the bottom pin of the magazine and took out the internals, its just a plastic block. i just sanded it down slightly, not a little too much. i just have to get it where i can put 10 and enough play for half a round to get in but NO MORE than that, and that should be enough play to tap the mag in and rack it with a closed bolt easier. it'll be a tuning process, but i think i figured it out.

thanks guys

Bhobbs
12-06-2011, 2:11 PM
i called parallax back adn they said they could san down the block for me for free, but they are a little far off from me. i actually knocked out the bottom pin of the magazine and took out the internals, its just a plastic block. i just sanded it down slightly, not a little too much. i just have to get it where i can put 10 and enough play for half a round to get in but NO MORE than that, and that should be enough play to tap the mag in and rack it with a closed bolt easier. it'll be a tuning process, but i think i figured it out.

thanks guys

I wouldn't mess with the mags. The solution is to load with the bolt locked back. That won't create a potentional illegal situation.

jonjonkills101
12-06-2011, 2:21 PM
I wouldn't mess with the mags. The solution is to load with the bolt locked back. That won't create a potentional illegal situation.

yeah im stopping now, i sanded it out a little bit but put everything back and pinned it back up. if it doesn't solve my issue, then yeah i'll just load with the bolt locked back. its not worth going to prison over for a little more functionaility haha

tomd1584
12-06-2011, 2:49 PM
Congrats!

high_revs
12-06-2011, 2:51 PM
these guys have the right idea. i didn't think of it but like the suggestion below, i load up the mags with the bolt locked back and i just release bolt from there.

Try seating the mag with the bolt locked back. It should seat easily. Then you can just hit the bolt release.

jonjonkills101
12-06-2011, 3:06 PM
these guys have the right idea. i didn't think of it but like the suggestion below, i load up the mags with the bolt locked back and i just release bolt from there.

its my first rifle with evil features, and weapon capable of 10 rounders (without the ridiculous extended long mags) i have been shooting a remington 700 and 1911 for like the pass 6 months so it kinda stunned me when i couldn't get full function out of a 10 round mag. but then again, it has a bullet button which is the ultimate function killer haha. im over it now, just looking forward to shooting it again :)

HKDoc
12-06-2011, 3:15 PM
Nice rifle, great price for a piston build!

gemini1
12-06-2011, 3:24 PM
If you sand down a mag block even just enough to allow the pmag to load/locked in the magwell on a closed bolt, you will be able to load an 11th round in. Remember that pmag is plastic, and it will expand/bloat if you force an extra round in.
Ask me how I know?
I had to figure out a way to bring back my mag block to its former height to make it use-able.

jonjonkills101
12-06-2011, 3:28 PM
Nice rifle, great price for a piston build!

special thanks to black friday week for my overall price haha

thanks

glock7
12-06-2011, 4:40 PM
Good stuff. There's nothing better than shooting that AR. Except for sex...;)

jvpark
12-06-2011, 4:42 PM
is the Adams Upper the gas piston that was on sale at Midway?

jonjonkills101
12-06-2011, 4:58 PM
is the Adams Upper the gas piston that was on sale at Midway?

Yeah