PDA

View Full Version : SIMPLE Emergency welding: How to tutorial for anybody.

TrailerparkTrash
12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I know several people have seen this stuff before, but many have not. Here is some basic, SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE ideas on how anyone can put together their own emergency welding kit for the road without spending very much $$$ (when compared with buying a welding machine).

The techniques demonstrated in the videos are to be used for an emergency and yes, THE WELDS DEPICTED IN THE VIDEOS ARE NOT PRETTY. So please, don't comment on how "crappy" the welds are, or "how terrible those guys were at welding." They are EMERGENCY WELDS out in the field when you DO NOT HAVE YOUR PERSONAL WELDER in your truck, back pack or back pants pocket!!!! Remember, even duct tape and bailing wire can only get you so far. Sometimes you're just gonna have to "spark up" and bond metal together with some type of welding technique.

Also, it's apparent that one or two of these guys have no real experience on extensive welding technique, but so what. That's for another topic another time.

These videos are simply ideas to give you ways to maybe come up with your own techniques of getting an EMERGENCY welding repair done out in the middle of nowhere and GETTING HOME. As one video states on their opening credits:.. "....BECAUSE WALKING HOME SUCKS!"

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHJ0NSjZnM

and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTuc_Mb9NDs

Now, this next video shows some guys speaking broken english at first. Don't judge the book by it's cover or their appearance. Just watch the video and see how they fix a broken piece of jeep suspension out in the middle of "nowhere." Watch till the end and you'll see something interesting what they use as "scrap" metal to join some suspension parts together under their jeep! Pretty smart these guys are. Again, the welds are NOT PRETTY but would work for EMERGENCIES out in the desert to get you home. ...because WALKING HOME SUCKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLazY5J9RA

Lastly, here is a device that looks pretty good, however I think it's a complete rip-off!!!! It retails for $600-700 bucks!!!! It does the same thing with two or three car batteries as the above stick welding does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8MtQSr1IcU

Personally, I believe that stick welding produces better welds IN THE HANDS OF A SKILLED WELDER. Putting together your emergency welding kit with an electrode stick holder, a pair of old jumper cables, a few battery cables and battery terminal post clamps, Harbor Frieght welding mask, cheap leather gloves and some E-6010 welding rod will run you LESS than $100.

On a side note for those that have never welded, the above stuff can be purchased at Home Depot and any auto parts store (for the battery terminal clamps and battery lead wires). Also, the E-6010 rod is an excellent all purpose rod that can weld metal in rusty and dirty conditions. It leaves a nicer weld bead than the old "E-6011" which is what it looks like the guys in the video were using.

Anyway, I recommend everybody take some type of welding instruction from either books, youtube, friends, or schools just to get the basics down. Within a couple hours of reading, one will NOT be a pro, but for an emergency weld, anyone can do it with some common sense. Also, follow all safety instructions in the video. Especially the one about covering the batteries with an old blanket or piece of carpet. Hydrogen exploding is not cool. More importantly is protecting your eyes from spatter and UV exposure during the welding. Investing in eye protection is madatory!

I have my own metal fabrication shop at home. I've been welding for several years and I too really enjoyed the drive the folks in these videos have to make these clips. It gives all preppers some neat and truely SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE ideas to help you survive out in the middle of nowhere....because WALKING HOME SUCKS! Have I already mentioned that?? :D:D:D

If anyone wants to learn more about welding without really getting professional guidance/training, may I suggest youtube and the book "Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch. ("HP BOOKS," the Penguin Group publishing, ISBN 978-1-55788-513-5). Last time I saw this book was at the local Home Depot in the welding section. It's a basic guide to get anyone going if they have a desire to learn more without spending a ton of money.

devilinblack
12-06-2011, 1:32 PM
Thanks for those links. After breaking a leaf spring on my off-road trailer during deer season I've been kicking around this idea. I already have two batteries in my Bronco and was thinking of adding a third for just this purpose.

I'll definitely have a kit together before my next trip.

cranemech
12-06-2011, 2:27 PM
I helped my brother install an extra alternator on his Land Cruiser used strictly for welding. He says it works pretty well, and like TT said it's better than walking.

ireload
12-07-2011, 3:16 AM
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Sanderhawk
12-07-2011, 9:57 AM
Thanks for the links. I have seen this done with 2 batteries before. 3 seems to work better.

wjc
12-08-2011, 3:18 PM
Here's a tip:

In a real TEOTWAWKI situation, most gas stations and auto repair facilities cary either arc, tig, or oxy-acetelyne welding gear.

If you get stuck, hunt down one of these places and use their equipment to get back on the road.

TrailerparkTrash
12-08-2011, 3:31 PM
Here's a tip:

In a real TEOTWAWKI situation, most gas stations and auto repair facilities cary either arc, tig, or oxy-acetelyne welding gear.

If you get stuck, hunt down one of these places and use their equipment to get back on the road.
That is a good idea. I never thought of that. Provided your vehicle can physically make it out of the brush and the damage incurred isnt preventing one from driving or moving the vehicle off of the trail.

But, as you stated, if one can wheel chair the broken vehicle to a shop, that would be the best course of action to take. Bring your credit card too!!! :D :D

freonr22
12-08-2011, 4:20 PM
Haven't watched the videos yet, but in a pinch, coat hanger is a mild steel welding rod with oxy acetylene is not bad.

TrailerparkTrash
12-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Haven't watched the videos yet, but in a pinch, coat hanger is a mild steel welding rod with oxy acetylene is not bad.

Very true! I've never done it, but that's actually a great idea for "on the trail" emergency welding. It won't be pretty, but I'm sure it would be another "band-aid" for the vehicle.

I know coat hangers have been used with DC arc welders too, but the welds look worse than lined up boogers on a public bathroom wall! :D:D

freonr22
12-08-2011, 10:23 PM
True story. I has a 1973 or so ford ltd? The rear sway bar broke on the way to work. The car was undrivable. I had to get to work. I went to my brothers house at 730 in the morning. Woke him up. Hey, I need to get to work. He says. Mmmmm....o k I got it. He tells me to go get him a coat hanger. I'm like, wtf? Sure. He gets his oxy acetylene set it and welds the 1-1 1/2 sway bar in 10 minutes. He tells me, look, it's similar steel maybe? It will work for today. ... It held until I threw the car away. It was beautiful knowledge to share ;-/)