View Full Version : Slide Serrations

03-02-2007, 5:15 PM
How do you feel about the serrations on the front of the slide on many new
semi-automatic pistols? Are they of any real use, or is just a current fad?
I personnaly don't like them, mostly for cosmetic reasons. I have been shooting 1911 type pistols for nearly 50 years and have never had a problem racking the slide with just the rear ones.:rolleyes:

03-02-2007, 5:21 PM
I think they are popular with some shooters because it makes it a little easier to check the chamber by slightly pulling the front of the slide back. I used to dislike front serrations, preferring the slab sided look of GI 1911's, but after a while they "disappear" and you hardly even notice them.

03-02-2007, 5:54 PM
I don't like them on 1911's but the new hk looked pretty sharp with them.

03-02-2007, 6:10 PM
They are the spawn of Satan. Especially on a 1911.

03-02-2007, 6:52 PM
I don't care for them and they serve no real purpose for me. If i wanna do a "press check" to see if chamber is loaded i just prefer to use overhand grip with left hand on rear serrations. They are a Fad and a Trend because they look tacticool.

03-02-2007, 7:19 PM
I don't really like them either, but there are so few 1911's certified in California without them. I'm currently looking for a stainless Springfield mil-spec. I love the look of it without them.

03-02-2007, 7:20 PM
I have no problem with them...

While it may not be useful at the range, Blood is very slippery.. When your hands and gun are covered in it they may be just what you need at that time!

03-02-2007, 7:35 PM
Why are those serrations there when you have that great rear sight handle to grab for racking:)

03-02-2007, 7:45 PM
They are the spawn of Satan. Especially on a 1911.

I am starting to agree...my gripe nowadays isn't that the forward serrations are there, but that (in springfield's case) the damn things (both fore and aft) are kinda chunky and sharp. Every time I tuck one of my Loadeds into my waistband behind my left hip (I'm a lefty) it grinds away a bunch of threads off my jeans.....or takes off some leather from my holsters...etc.

I wouldn't mind additional serrations if they were more like the old-school pre-70 style 1911 serrations from another age.

03-02-2007, 7:48 PM
They'll tear up a nice leather holster with the quickness. Otherwise, I personally don't feel a need for them, but they don't bother me. Just a personal preference I guess. I also don't use them to press-check, but I guess if someone feels a need to press check from the forward end of the slide, give them some forward serrations. That's much better than them using the Steven Segal method :rolleyes:

03-02-2007, 7:51 PM
FYI they are there so you can charge the slide back when naturally holding the gun in a two hand style, which is important for people in combat that want to keep their gun on target at all times. If you grab your 1911 and shoot it until it's empty, drop the mag, slam another mag home, then place your off hand to cup the front of your strong hand, you can reach up from underneath and pull the slide back just enough without moving either hand to let it fly home. So they aren't just for cosmetic reasons.

Personally they don't really bother me, but I find 1911s without them look aesthetically better.

03-02-2007, 8:15 PM
I also prefer my 1911s to not have them but it does make it easier to check the chamber.

03-02-2007, 8:19 PM
they do serve a purpose for most and it depends on your training. it also depends on if you chamber check your weapons which some or most people may not do. sometimes a duty gun is transferred between 2 people, and this could be used to insure you are in the right condition. believe me on this. some may refer to a safety rule, but if both of you know its loaded and pointed and in a safe direction for the handover, or you pass it to someone while its holstered on a duty belt. there are numerous ways to check the chamber. after the initial loading and making ready, i always check the chamber on any weapon. i would hate to hear that click when its go time. sometimes mags arent seated or they are not working right. as for racking the slide. i always for the most part, rack it rearward and not use the 'slide stop'. it is always best to rack it and use all the coils of the spring to work the action. some manufacturers owner's manuals even say so.

03-02-2007, 8:30 PM
While it may not be useful at the range, Blood is very slippery.. When your hands and gun are covered in it they may be just what you need at that time!

Front cocking serrations = YUCK