PDA

View Full Version : Cannot remove rear sight on AR >:/

CrossedRifles
12-05-2011, 7:49 PM
Got my Troy DOA in and I want to remove my old one.

I've been trying for a while but the damn screw has not budged one bit.

There's probably loctite on it or something.

It's a LWRC Skirmish rear that came with my LWRC M6A3.

Any pointers? Screw driver + hammer and tap it? Apply heat?

I used the blowdryer ( lol ) for a minute or two but it didn't work.

Help me out. :p

Merc1138
12-05-2011, 7:57 PM
Got my Troy DOA in and I want to remove my old one.

I've been trying for a while but the damn screw has not budged one bit.

There's probably loctite on it or something.

It's a LWRC Skirmish rear that came with my LWRC M6A3.

Any pointers? Screw driver + hammer and tap it? Apply heat?

I used the blowdryer ( lol ) for a minute or two but it didn't work.

Help me out. :p

Blow dryer? Get a propane torch to warm it up.

mrvash
12-05-2011, 7:59 PM
Apply heat, or some elbow grease ;)

tomd1584
12-05-2011, 8:00 PM
even with loctite, i've never had a problem removing anything. just man up!:p

It looks like those take a flathead, right? push in & twist!

Merc1138
12-05-2011, 8:01 PM
Apply heat, or some elbow grease ;)

Or maybe turn it in the correct direction.

lefty loosey, righty tighty...

I know left and right can be complicated, but I'm sure he'll eventually figure it out :p

CrossedRifles
12-05-2011, 8:04 PM
I had a hard time finding a screwdriver in this house.

Where do you think I'm going to find a propane torch? :p

I grew up in this anti-gun / mechanically retarded house. :rofl:

Jyruiz
12-05-2011, 8:05 PM
Try spraying some lube and let it sit for a little bit.

CrossedRifles
12-05-2011, 8:05 PM
Or maybe turn it in the correct direction.

lefty loosey, righty tighty...

I know left and right can be complicated, but I'm sure he'll eventually figure it out :p

I already knew that. :p

Seriously though, anything other possible ideas?

:(

tomd1584
12-05-2011, 8:06 PM
I already knew that. :p

Seriously though, anything other possible ideas?

LOL, it's a screw, not rocket science! Lets see how many posts it takes to keep saying the same thing.

Merc1138
12-05-2011, 8:13 PM
LOL, it's a screw, not rocket science! Lets see how many posts it takes to keep saying the same thing.
There are probably screws involved in rocket science somewhere.

rplusplus
12-05-2011, 8:18 PM
Ok from an Engineer this time. Heat not a good idea as it makes all the metal swell... what you need to do is fing the right tool (what is the head of the screw) and then oil the thread... then tap and twist (righty tighty lefty loosy) and the tapin releases the friction to the threads. *I am not being flip here I just have done a dozen of these* Trust me. =] Tap and Twist. A little lube and you will reach Nirvana.

510GUY
12-05-2011, 8:19 PM
Righty tighty lefty loosey

rplusplus
12-05-2011, 8:22 PM
Righty tighty lefty loosey

I think he's got that... an important thing here is... tapping... if you tap the tool you release the thread lock and it makes it loosen the grip... Tap twist left tap twist left tap twist left... do that with some oil and soon... viola!

Dr Rockso
12-05-2011, 8:32 PM
Nothing wrong with using heat, particularly if somebody installed it with red Loctite which is designed to release with the application of heat. If you have a soldering iron touch it to the screw at the closest exposed point to wherever the threads are. The tap and twist technique does work well, but when red Loctite is involved sometimes it's not enough.

CrossedRifles
12-06-2011, 1:38 AM
Well it's stuck on there good. Scratched my AR multiple times trying to get it off.

Screw's slot head is deformed from all the trying.

roushstage2
12-06-2011, 3:26 AM
Get a hold of LWRC and ask them if they used some sort of thread-locker on it? If so, mini-torches are around $20 at a hardware store...

dieselpower
12-06-2011, 4:50 AM
I had a hard time finding a screwdriver in this house.
Where do you think I'm going to find a propane torch? :p

I grew up in this anti-gun / mechanically retarded house. :rofl:

this is more the problem than the screw....

Take the upper off the lower, (please God tell us you know how to do that), and take it to a gunsmith. You are just going to keep damaging the bolt head and scratching the heck out of the upper.

Next up----- go to freaking Sears and buy a tool set, a folding work bench and a vise. ;)

rero360
12-06-2011, 5:38 AM
Ok, this is what you do:

lock the upper in the vice thats on your mill's table, then with a 1/4" end mill, proceed to remove the old iron sight, make sure to pay attention to your depth of cut so you don't cut into the receiver.

Hows that for an overly complicated solution? :D

tomd1584
12-06-2011, 8:47 AM
Ok, this is what you do:

lock the upper in the vice thats on your mill's table, then with a 1/4" end mill, proceed to remove the old iron sight, make sure to pay attention to your depth of cut so you don't cut into the receiver.

Considering he had a tough time finding a screw driver, this sounds a little too complicated.

zfields
12-06-2011, 9:33 AM
this is more the problem than the screw....

Take the upper off the lower, (please God tell us you know how to do that), and take it to a gunsmith. You are just going to keep damaging the bolt head and scratching the heck out of the upper.

Next up----- go to freaking Sears and buy a tool set, a folding work bench and a vise. ;)

Oy Oy.

I got one of there goofy cyrogen screw driver sets a while back, impressed. I normally hate anything sears.

LTP90
12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Ok, this is what you do:

I like this solution!
So since he has already stripped the screw head it appears.....whats next
I know what I would do, but it might not be technically the correct way to do it, and requires tools he probably doesn't have handy.

tomd1584
12-06-2011, 10:30 AM
OP, if you get the sight off, I'll give you $30 for it (since it's probably damaged). :D

killshot44
12-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Looks simple enough.....need a blade that fits the screwhead. Obviously...

http://www.lwrci.com/images/Product/medium/237.jpg

LWRC's website says it's secured by "a locking helicoil which requires no additional thread lock for installation and will stand up to thousands of rounds of recoil and rugged use".......Could it be there's something holding the opposite side keeping it from loosening? Did you RTFM?

shadow65
12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Ok from an Engineer this time. Heat not a good idea as it makes all the metal swell... what you need to do is fing the right tool (what is the head of the screw) and then oil the thread... then tap and twist (righty tighty lefty loosy) and the tapin releases the friction to the threads. *I am not being flip here I just have done a dozen of these* Trust me. =] Tap and Twist. A little lube and you will reach Nirvana.

If it has red loctite, it will have to be heated hot enough to melt the loctite.
dave N

jokat989
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
just use an angle grinder and cut it off

Agent Tikki
12-06-2011, 2:29 PM
Brake fluid, a few drops and let it soak in over night. Becareful not it get it all over the place tho.