PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Fix?

Uruz003
12-05-2011, 8:24 PM
I am currently having some extractor issues with my AR-15. The rifle cycles but fails to eject the spent casing and proceeds to push the next round into the back off the spent casing. This type of error is consistent across all different types of ammunition, from Federal to Remington to Tula, and magazines, such as Pmags and stanags. I have examined spent casings and noticed that the extractor marks were light and did not reach fully into the lip of round. I also examined the extractor while the bolt was assembled and noticed no carbon build up or obstruction of the extractor. Upon disassembling the bolt, I cleared the extractor and removed a small number of brass shavings that must have come off during the extraction process. I hope that this solves the issue, but is there anything I can do to prevent the extractor from "shaving" off the brass or this extractor issue?

I have emailed LWRCI and they are sending replacements, but I was wondering if the wise members of calguns knows of any thing I can do to fix the extractor I currently have.

Many thanks in advance.

My search-fu did not yield anything that would help me with this manner.

G-forceJunkie
12-05-2011, 9:19 PM
Put in an extra power extractor spring or the crane O ring.

jvpark
12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
By any chance are you blowing primers?

G-forceJunkie
12-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Good point ^^^^ Whats the story of the rifle, what barrel is it, what stock/buffer. Overriding the extractor could also be a really overgassed rifle.

Uruz003
12-06-2011, 9:23 AM
mmm that is possible.

The rifle is a stock LWRC M6A2 chambered in 5.56 and a 16 inch barrel with a 1/7 twist. I bought it new a couple of months ago and have only just begun to brake it in. The rifle jammed the first time I tried to shoot it. I was using Federal Eagle .223 at the time. The rifle continued to fail in the same manner as I previously described even when I tried switching between pmags and stanags. I later switched to Brown Bear lacquered steel case that day (same grain/round) and the rifle fed just fine in both pmags and stanags.

The second time I took out the rifle, shot 1 10 round clip of brown bear, followed by 100 rounds of Federal .223 which the rifle shot through perfectly. I later decided to try some tula to test what kinds of ammo did or did not work with my rifle. The rifle began to fail in the same manner. It was at this point that the one of the primers from the spent casing popped out. I switched to remington ammunition and the rifle continued to fail in the same manner, failing to extract the spent casing and proceeding to try to feed the second round in the chamber. Growing frustrated, I decided to put the rifle away for the day and go to the pistol range.

Later that day, when cleaning the rifle, I discovered the brass shavings in the bolt where the firing pin resides. I've cleared the shavings and cleaned the bolt and extractor thoroughly, and have not fired the rifle since. I'm hoping to test the rifle again soon to see if cleaning addressed the problem, but I'm wondering if additional measures need to be done to fix the problem. It's not normal for your extractor to take brass shavings off your casing, is it?

The rifle already has two extractor springs, but I'll see if there are any stronger spring options.

I hope the additional information is sufficient. LWRC said that it was just a temperamental extractor and are sending me replacements. I'm grateful for the replacements, but was wondering if there is anything I can do to "tame" the one I have.

Knife Edge
12-06-2011, 9:47 AM
mmm that is possible.

The rifle is a stock LWRC M6A2 chambered in 5.56 and a 16 inch barrel with a 1/7 twist. I bought it new a couple of months ago and have only just begun to brake it in. The rifle jammed the first time I tried to shoot it. I was using Federal Eagle .223 at the time. The rifle continued to fail in the same manner as I previously described even when I tried switching between pmags and stanags. I later switched to Brown Bear lacquered steel case that day (same grain/round) and the rifle fed just fine in both pmags and stanags.

The second time I took out the rifle, shot 1 10 round clip of brown bear, followed by 100 rounds of Federal .223 which the rifle shot through perfectly. I later decided to try some tula to test what kinds of ammo did or did not work with my rifle. The rifle began to fail in the same manner. It was at this point that the one of the primers from the spent casing popped out. I switched to remington ammunition and the rifle continued to fail in the same manner, failing to extract the spent casing and proceeding to try to feed the second round in the chamber. Growing frustrated, I decided to put the rifle away for the day and go to the pistol range.

Later that day, when cleaning the rifle, I discovered the brass shavings in the bolt where the firing pin resides. I've cleared the shavings and cleaned the bolt and extractor thoroughly, and have not fired the rifle since. I'm hoping to test the rifle again soon to see if cleaning addressed the problem, but I'm wondering if additional measures need to be done to fix the problem. It's not normal for your extractor to take brass shavings off your casing, is it?

The rifle already has two extractor springs, but I'll see if there are any stronger spring options.

I hope the additional information is sufficient. LWRC said that it was just a temperamental extractor and are sending me replacements. I'm grateful for the replacements, but was wondering if there is anything I can do to "tame" the one I have.

That's an epic fail for a new rifle. Ask them to issue a FedEx call tag and send it in, let them spend the cash troubleshooting it. It benefits them in that they get the feedback and you get a rifle that works.

Nathan Krynn
12-06-2011, 9:57 AM
+1 on this

Falstaff
12-06-2011, 10:06 AM
My theory is that there is a bad batch of extractors out there. Seems like there are alot of people reporting this exact issue, in fact I repaired two rifles for my neighbor that were having the exact same symptoms. The common thread seems to be steel cased ammo followed by worn extractors. If the extractors are not properly heat treated (case hardened or properly tempered/alloyed I don't know if anyone still case hardens things) then this is what will result.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-06-2011, 10:23 AM
I would send it back on their dime. No point in monkeying around with a new rifle. If it were an older rifle, I would suggest replacing the extractor, adding a stronger extractor spring, and adding an o-ring. All of which should increase the likelyhood of extracting. I am not quite sure what you mean when you say it already has 2 extractor springs, as they normally only have one, and the little rubber eraser-looking thing inside it. But I could be remembering wrong. I am, after all, a monkeyboy.

-Mb

Uruz003
12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
@Falstaff: What have you done to repair the extractors? The specimen is practically brand spanking new and has no noticeable wear.

When I disassembled the bolt and removed the extractor, there were two springs that were in place to put tension on the extractor. It could be a proprietary design? not sure.

Anywho, spares from LWRC should be coming in soon. Going to the range next thursday and see if the cleaning did any good, or if the replacement does any better.

KaLiFORNIA
12-08-2011, 5:01 AM
Get some quality ammo...

MajorMalphunction
12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
@Falstaff: What have you done to repair the extractors? The specimen is practically brand spanking new and has no noticeable wear.

When I disassembled the bolt and removed the extractor, there were two springs that were in place to put tension on the extractor. It could be a proprietary design? not sure.

Anywho, spares from LWRC should be coming in soon. Going to the range next thursday and see if the cleaning did any good, or if the replacement does any better.

GL dude. Let me know how it goes! I know it's been frustrating working with a new rifle.

Uruz003
12-08-2011, 1:11 PM
Get some quality ammo...

Yes, but for the price I paid for an LW it should be reliable enough to eat most ammo I feed it. I plan on feeding it quality ammo for recreational shooting, but if SHTF and I can't choose my ammo, I want to make sure that it'll eat whatever I feed it.

george223
12-09-2011, 1:37 PM
Get a new heavy duty extractor spring.

I put together 2 AR's back in the earlier 90's starting with a parts kit I bought through Shotgun News and gunshow parts. I had the exact same problem with both of them. This was before the internet and nobody that I knew had a clue. So it took me over a year to finally figure it out. They actually worked through (1) 20 round magazine. After they warmed up, the jamming started.

Long story short, was at a gunshow and bought a rehab kit that contained all of the springs. I decided to change the extractor spring. It just happened to be a heavier but you couldn't tell by looking at it. Extraction problems went away. Did the same thing with my 2nd rifle. I don't even know why the weaker springs exist.

A friend of mine had this problem recently with his brand new Daniel Defense AR. He sent it back on their dime and they installed an O-ring. If it happens again, I'll put a heavier spring in for him.

MajorMalphunction
12-11-2011, 2:44 AM
Seems as though LWRC has receiving multiple reports of similar issues. They're going to send him some replacement parts.

Coyote Brown
12-11-2011, 7:48 AM
LMT enhanced bolt has 2 springs.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=196639

sendithit
12-11-2011, 3:10 PM
I'm curious: the extractor extracts the case from the chamber and the ejector ejects the case through the ejection port...so...is the problem with the extractor or the ejector?...or the magazine? Should it matter what brand/construction ammo is being used if the extractor and ejector mechanisms are within spec? I'm still learning.

Uruz003
12-11-2011, 4:36 PM
It's the extractor, not the ejector, that is causing the problem. The spent casing is not getting pulled out, and the bolt is trying to push the a fresh bullet in. Magazines are not an issue, I've tried various combinations of ammunition and magazines, and the failure happens in all combinations, with the exception of brown bear.

I'm learning also, so maybe the gurus of Calguns will be able to answer better than I can. As far as I understand, the different brands of ammo have subtle differences in dimensions and these minute changes can cause a system to fail. But a good AR should eat through most brands of ammo. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the company believes that a faulty extractor is causing the extraction issues and are sending replacements.