PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Muzzle Brake?

Hammertime
12-05-2011, 3:51 PM
Hi there, I am looking to get a muzzle brake that allows for tighter follow up shots, and do not want to spend too much...I know that this might be an oxymoron, but I saw a Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Muzzle Brake for like $28 bucks, and wondered if it was any good?

This is the one I am talking about:

http://yhm.net/images/YHM-28-5M1.jpg

If that isn't a good one, what do you recommend up to $40?

Thank you!

gun toting monkeyboy
12-05-2011, 4:07 PM
Brownell's sells one by Cavalry Arms for around $27. I have it on several of my featureless builds and my AR pistol. It works as well or better than many others in that price range. Even the pistol has managable recoil, albeit accompanied by a 5 foot fireball. I have gotten away from the YHM muzzle devices because they are so danged long. And that aggressive, spikey front edge looks really cool, but it catches on all kinds of stuff. And it ate through one of my gun bags when I forgot it in the trunk for a couple of weeks. I guess it got hungry or something. The CA one is about the same size as a standard A2 flash hider, and has a solid front panel that can't shoot off like a few of the other low-cost brakes.

-Mb

Here is a link to the one I am talking about.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1464/Product/AR-15-CAV-COMP

lorax3
12-05-2011, 4:15 PM
I've got one on my 14.5 CMMG upper, and have had no issues.

Hammertime
12-05-2011, 4:18 PM
Gun monkey-Thank you for the feedback!

Lorax-would you said that besides not having any issues, the brake provided significant results?

lorax3
12-05-2011, 4:32 PM
Lorax-would you said that besides not having any issues, the brake provided significant results?

You know, have not compared it directly to other brakes in a while. Just picked up a Stag4H, and I'll need to the take the two out and see.

If i go shooting soon I'll let you know.

gunsarefun
12-05-2011, 5:15 PM
I have both the YHM Phantom flash hider, and the YHM Phantom muzzle brake. I think I prefer the flash hider because the muzzle brake is so freakin' loud. I can almost feel the concussion of the round leaving the barrel and for me that is almost worse than a hair more recoil with the flash hider version.

addyyoon
12-05-2011, 5:19 PM
4VCQLnHR_0s

P_MZBLdc7Wk

I like it, it works. I also have a Miculek comp, but that sucker is LOUD

Exile Machine
12-05-2011, 5:26 PM
I have the YHM brake pictured and it works well. If you have any loose teeth you need jarred out of your head just stand to the side while someone fires it. The concussion will knock fillings out of your teeth too. But it does control the recoil better than a flash hider and it is cheap. I second the comment that it will eat your rifle bag if you leave it unattended, but I would hate to face this brake in a hand-to-hand out-of-ammo combat situation... If rammed into your chest it would ruin your day. Works pretty good for featureless builds. I have since moved to a birdcage flash hider on my way to a more expensive brake, let me know if you decide to get it I'll sell you mine on the cheap. Has only a few hundred rounds through it. Was used mostly for marketing photos... Why, here's one now:

https://exilemachine.net/images/IMG_7116.JPG

-Mark

MrPlink
12-05-2011, 5:33 PM
my buddy has a phantom MB on his 7.5in AR pistol.

You can feel the concussion in your sinus cavity with that thing!
Its a hoot at the range, because every time he lets a round go the entire line stops and turns their head, only to see this tiny lil AR.

HK Dave
12-05-2011, 5:42 PM
I used to have this brake. The recoil and muzzle rise reduction was considerable. Made the AR feel like a different rifle.

I did get a few a complaints from people next to me though. ;)

gun toting monkeyboy
12-05-2011, 5:43 PM
my buddy has a phantom MB on his 7.5in AR pistol.

You can feel the concussion in your sinus cavity with that thing!
Its a hoot at the range, because every time he lets a round go the entire line stops and turns their head, only to see this tiny lil AR.

Yeah. I get exactly the same thing with my 10.5 inch pistol. Standing behind it is loud enough. Standing next to the person firing it is enough to shake fillings loose. Pretty much all of the muzzle brakes will do that. Especially on pistols. I have a Nordic brake on a carbine, and it is, if anything louder. I have not been real impressed by it. It is in the same price range, but it is a PITA to install. And it is noisy enough to be distracting to the shooter. Any benefit I get from the lack of recoil is negated by the fireball and concussion.

-Mb

Hammertime
12-05-2011, 5:49 PM
Thank you all very much for your input!

HK Dave
12-05-2011, 5:55 PM
Don't take it personally when people next to you pack up and move down a few lanes.

msand951
12-05-2011, 6:13 PM
I purchased one for my upper but havent fired it yet . The only thing I can say is that it looks pretty damn cool.

Thanks for the videos Addyyoon. What kind of red dot was that? Nice set up btw.

Heres a pic of the brake on mine.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/374029_166256003472926_100002655823624_262744_1925 54839_n.jpg

0331Marine
12-05-2011, 6:14 PM
Ares Armor Effin-A. No muzzle climb. Not $40, but well worth it.
http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-prodshow/AA-EFFIN-AC556.html

C4iGrant
12-05-2011, 6:27 PM
YHM products are crude at best. MB's have some serious downsides. From a Tactical standpoint, they have a huge flash signature and are very loud.

There are some exceptions to this rule. One of the best MB's I have seen is the BattleComp. They don't have that bad of a flash signature, and their concussion is the least of any I have tried.

C4

Saber2Golf
12-05-2011, 6:43 PM
I have the YHM brake on a 9mm AR with an Ace stock that I would grab before I'd pick up a baseball bat in a hand-to-hand situation, the combination of a fixed stock and the aggressive crenelation on the YHM would seriously hurt someone's feelings. Though, since mine is 9mm, I can't comment on the efficacy of the brake function too much since there was almost no recoil to begin with.

EvoXRiley
12-05-2011, 7:42 PM
i put a STAG on my gun it was $24 and helped alot. although anyone shooting next to me wasnt to happy, it did a great job of moving it away from me.

i took a carbine class and the guy to my right had to put on a second pair of glasses cuz it was knocking off the first pair no joke!

Dannicus
12-05-2011, 9:21 PM
I had one of those on my Stag. I didn't think it was that loud compared to other AR comps I've encountered at the range. I did find it had just the right amount of compensation. They also make a no-snag version for the same price, too.

rscot
12-05-2011, 9:52 PM
I have one mounted on this one and it works great! I used the smooth one. As far as length, I had to go long since I used a 14.5in bbl. I'm a fan of YHM gear.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn168/scotdodrill/PICT0030.jpg

jvpark
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
I have the YHM brake on a 9mm AR

I stopped reading right there.

addyyoon
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I purchased one for my upper but havent fired it yet . The only thing I can say is that it looks pretty damn cool.

Thanks for the videos Addyyoon. What kind of red dot was that? Nice set up btw.

Heres a pic of the brake on mine.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/374029_166256003472926_100002655823624_262744_1925 54839_n.jpg

Cheap $40 red dot on Amazon.com. It's held it's zero after 500+ rounds, so I can't complain. I'm going through a complete overhaul of that rifle, but I'm keeping the brake haha.

Cali-Shooter
12-06-2011, 1:14 AM
I stopped reading right there.

Then you're probably not going to like this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=505975).

SIGSHOOTR
12-06-2011, 1:36 AM
I had the 5C2-- and I thought it was great. Excellent flash hider and a decent comp to boot-- all for less than $25. And that aggressive end is a meat shredder. I recently replaced it on my 16" carbine with a BC 1.0-- but, I will put it back on (permanently) on my BCM 14.5" middy upper.