PDA

View Full Version : who allows prone shooting in east bay?

send it_hit
12-05-2011, 1:54 PM
Having developed a successful .223 load for 100yds, I'm looking to start learning to shoot in different positions before I shoot longer distances. I'm in Hayward, and usually end up at Davis St. or Chabot. I've never seen prone shooters at Chabot, but I know it's not allowed at Davis St. Any other options that allow it, that are relatively near by? (BLM isn't really an option yet, if I'm going to go all the way out to BLM I'd like to be comfortable in different shooting positions already.)

If there is somewhere nearby, what are the must-haves for prone shooting? I'm assuming sandbags and a shooting mat. I've seen some vids on snipershide where they talk about the importance of the bags, can anyone recommend some good ones? Any good mats? Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks folks :D

Ytisfedup
12-05-2011, 2:03 PM
Chabot is good with any position.

Pistongunner
12-05-2011, 2:05 PM
Ive shot prone at Chabot

send it_hit
12-05-2011, 2:06 PM
Chabot is good with any position.

Ive shot prone at Chabot

sorry dumb questions... but since i've never seen it... you just lay out between the benches on the 100yd line?

gose
12-05-2011, 2:06 PM
Chabot and Metcalf (at least at the 200y range) should be GTG

gose
12-05-2011, 2:07 PM
sorry dumb questions... but since i've never seen it... you just lay out between the benches on the 100yd line?

yupp.

When I'm done shooting I usually put it on the table to make it easier for the RO to check, though there's no real requirement to do that, afaik.

PandaLuv
12-05-2011, 2:08 PM
USI!

but for member only at the MP range.

EmmaGoldman
12-05-2011, 2:10 PM
Richmond.

send it_hit
12-05-2011, 2:34 PM
looks like chabot's gonna be the way to go... any ideas on the bags/mat?

Molby242
12-05-2011, 2:57 PM
Sunnyvale Rod and Gun allows prone. You just have to ask for the bench to be moved for you. They provide blocks and sandbags too, but only limited supply.

don't know if Chabot has blocks and bags handy.

Obviously a Plant
12-05-2011, 9:33 PM
Chabot has a few bags and a block on each bench. A yoga mat or a blanket might make lying on the concrete more comfortable... try something out on your driveway. Their Bags will raise your rifle about 2", so you might consider bringing a small bucket/ block or tripod to get you where you want.

joelogic
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
... but since i've never seen it...

Most people that shoot are seated paper shooters.

ns3v3n
12-06-2011, 9:50 AM
you can shoot prone at metcalf or field sports park in san jose(same thing), just walk all the way to the left by the 100 yard lanes and shoot. Although at that section, there's only steel targets to shoot at. You might be able to occupy the last lane by that section and put your paper target up and shoot prone, but it'll be off to an angle and not in a straight line.