View Full Version : rechargable batteries

12-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Does brand to brand matter with batteries? So can I use my Panasonic charger on my Duracell batteries. What about eneloops?

12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
You should be fine as long as the batteries and charger type match. ie NiMh or NiCD. NiCd needs to be discharged fully before recharged or it will develop a memory and kill the batteries quick. NiMh doesn't have that problem for the most part. You can still use a normal NiMh charger for NiCd but you need to discharge the batteries manually first. Usually you hook the battery up to a bulb and run the battery down until the light is very dim(obviously bulb designed for DC).

12-05-2011, 6:05 PM
If you really care about what is going on get a Maha charger. (http://www.amazon.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C9000-WizardOne-Charger-Analyzer/dp/B000NLUSLM)

The charger is badazz and lets you do many more things than a standard quick charger.

Four independent slots
It's like having four charger-analyzers for AA and AAA NiMH / NiCD batteries.
Large backlit LCD display
Digitally displays capacity, voltage, time and current.
Endless programming possibilities - over 10,000 ways!
29 selectable charging and discharging rate. Charging current from 0.2A to 2.0A and discharging current from 0.1A to 1.0A in 0.1A increments.
Five modes of operation
Charge: Recharges the battery at the selected rate.

Suitable for batteries used frequently.

Refresh & Analyze: Charges the battery, rest for one hour, discharge, rest again, then recharges it. Selectable charging and discharging rate.

Suitable for batteries stored for more than two weeks but less than 3 month or those showing poor performance.

Break-In: Also known as IEC capacity measurement and "Battery Forming". Charges battery at 0.1C for 16 hours, rest for one hour, discharges battery at 0.2C, then recharges again at 0.1C for 16 hours.

Suitable for new batteries and those stored for more than 3 month.

Discharge: Discharges the battery at the selected rate.

Cycle: Performs charge-discharge cycle for up to 12 times with discharge capacity stored in memory. Recharges battery after final cycle.

New ways to take care of your batteries and maximize runtime!

Battery Matching

In most devices, usually two or more batteries are used together. When batteries are used in a series, the performance is limited by the worst one. In other words, one poorly performing battery can significantly reduce the device runtime.

Battery matching refers to grouping batteries with similar “actual” capacity. To perform this, use the Refresh & Analyze mode to determine the battery capacity. Group batteries with capacity within about +/- 5% of the rated capacity.

Battery Forming

New batteries and those stored for extended period become chemically deactivated. Battery forming is a charge-discharge-charge cycle which forces a full charge into the battery at a very slow rate. This process activates the battery. In certain cases, it needs to be repeated two or three times.

Battery forming can be performed using the Break-In mode.

Delivers just the right charge

Independent negative delta V, temperature and timer protection eliminates over and undercharging.

Super light travel worldwide power supply and 12V compatible

Worldwide 100-240V switching adapter - light weight and small. Also compatible with 12V input. Will work on car when used with the optional cigarette lighter adapter.

12-06-2011, 4:48 PM
nice brother. thanks

12-06-2011, 5:00 PM
Panasonic is owned by the worlds largest battery manufacturer matsus hita. Or they were at one time anyways

12-06-2011, 8:45 PM
i use my duracell charger to charge energizers i also drink pepsi out of a coke glass so far the world hasn't imploded

funny my nihms have HR stamped on the bottom its pretty much the same with every brand i wonder if one company makes the cells and they just shrink wrap them with who ever orders them energizer,duracell,radioshack

12-07-2011, 9:12 AM
Great timing. I was just thinking this morning that I should come here and ask for what to look for in a good charger since I'm ready to make the jump to all rechargeable. Thanks PC.

12-07-2011, 6:54 PM
Charger: u can spend a lot for a fancy one that tell u all about your battery, or u can spend little for something that just work and not much else. But mach sure u buy something that can charge 1 battery at a time because it meansthat it has individual channel for each slot. A refresh button is nice to have butnot mandatory. Amazon has a Sony charger with 4 sony precharged AA for less than $20. As far as battery go, just buy Eneloop. Its THE best mass produced AA and AAA battery out there. If u cant find it, buy something with precharged on it. 2000 mAh is good enough. "precharged" means it can hold charge for 6 months or longer. Those 2500mAh would self discharged in matter of minutes. ( okay, days, but u get my idea.