PDA

View Full Version : HK91A2 in CA

ladiver
12-05-2011, 9:33 AM
I was recently speaking to someone about buying an AR15. He mentioned that he has a HK91A2, with high cap mags, that is registered as an AW. He has never even taken it out of the case since the early 90's.

He asked me what if he could take it to a range and shoot it. My guess is no, but I am very new to the AR scene. Please, Calgunners, give me some information that I can pass on to him.

Thanks,

Jeff

desert_dick
12-05-2011, 9:44 AM
He can shoot it.
Some ranges will want to see his copy of the AW registration confirmation he got in the mail when he registered it.
-Rich

Ed_Hazard
12-05-2011, 9:49 AM
As long as it's a RAW he's good to go. I've taken my RAW's to Angeles Shooting Range a few times and never been hassled, Beta mags and all.

Your not required to carry your letter from Bill, but a photocopy in the case is a prudent move. He might want to brush up on the restrictions imposed on one while transporting RAW's to be sure he stays legal.

SgtJT27
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Of course he can shoot it, as long as its registered on his name and make sure to bring a copy of his RAW letter from DOJ.

Omega13device
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
As others have said there are no issues shooting a RAW at a range as long as it's otherwise legally configured.

I wouldn't worry about getting hassled. Six years ago, maybe. Today, doubtful. There are so many off-list HK 91 clones out there these days that no one will give it a second look. I've had my PTR91 out many times and even other shooters don't seem very curious about it. That said, if he feels like bringing a copy of his registration letter as a security blanket it certainly won't hurt anything, but it's not required by law.

ladiver
12-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys. Does he need a BB or other tool, or are detachable mags OK if it is registered?

Followup question, can he let others fire it while he is there?

desert_dick
12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
No BB required if it's registered. Hi caps he has are ok.
Others can shoot it while he's nearby.

-Rich

cannon
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys. Does he need a BB or other tool, or are detachable mags OK if it is registered?

Followup question, can he let others fire it while he is there?

He can do anything he wants without restriction but go full auto. :D

Quiet
12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Can't make it into a SBR either.

Omega13device
12-05-2011, 1:49 PM
To the OP, an SBR is a short-barreled rifle in case you were wondering.

FYI here is an FAQ on RAW ownership/usage: http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197295

MrPlink
12-05-2011, 2:06 PM
Just bring a copy of the RAW paperwork and follow all applicable laws and there should be no issue.
Thats an awesome rifle btw, had one in the family many moons ago when I was just a JrPlink

crazychinaman
12-05-2011, 2:25 PM
He can use his High cap magazines .No bullet button.He cannot loan you his mags ,unless he is present .He can shoot it anywhere ,but BLM land that is not under range control.Just keep a copy of the DOJ letterhead.The rifle must be in locked case,and also remember ,He can only go from house to range then back home.No getting food or other stops ,as quoted in the AW law.

saki302
12-05-2011, 4:08 PM
I've been shooting my AWs for over a decade- I do carry a copy of the reg paper, but I've never been asked to show it yet.

It transports like a pistol- locked container.

-Dave

Omega13device
12-05-2011, 7:40 PM
It transports like a pistol- locked container.

Note that the trunk of your car is considered a locked container. So an unlocked case in the trunk is ok.

In a truck bed or inside a car, truck or SUV, the case must be locked.

ladiver
12-05-2011, 8:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I will let him know. I know he will be stoked. He has been concerned about transporting ans using it. Now that I am getting an AR (hopefully), we will go to the range and shoot.

MrPlink
12-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Now that I am getting an AR (hopefully), we will go to the range and shoot.

prepare to be jealous :D

even if you prefer the AR pattern, evil features + no mag lock + std cap mags ='s win