PDA

View Full Version : Do indoor ranges allow rifles?

PandaLuv
12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I've never seen any rifles shooting in indoor ranges, are they allowed normally?

I'm taking yet another one of my co-workers to shoot, I'm bringing one of my sigs and she is curious about my AK as well. I'm going to Target Masters in Milpitas.

cpatbay
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Most indoor ranges do not allow high caliber rifles. Some allow .22.

CBRKURT
12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't know any around you but On Target in Laguna Niguel does and Field Time Is Opening up a range in Stanton That will allow up to 30-06

PatientCone
12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
A few around South Orange County, On Target does if you take the rifle class. Iron Sights does for anyone. I checked out TargetMasters website and it does not say anything about rifles, but after reading there rules, they seem to be on the stricter side. So I would say no rifles, but give them a call.

comblock
12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Field time will allow rifle ammo? Thats good news. How about wolf/steel case and/or steel core ammo like the russian 7n1 round.

SDSteve619
12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
There are some indoor ranges that allow it. I think it depends on how much risk and money the range wanted to put into reinforcing the backstop/trap.

In SD you can shoot at P2K in most large calibers and I know in Vegas at American Shooters you can shoot large calibers as well.

PatientCone
12-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Field time will allow rifle ammo? Thats good news. How about wolf/steel case and/or steel core ammo like the russian 7n1 round.

Most indoor ranges don't allow steel cased ammo.

PandaLuv
12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
called them just now, no 7.62X39 love for my co-worker. They only allow .22 and lever action rounds.

EmmaGoldman
12-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure, but it's worth checking Bullseye in San Rafael. I have a feeling they do.

itisagoodname
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Reeds indoor range is right near my work. I'll occasionally bring the AR with the .22 conversion just so i have something else to shoot besides the 9mm. Always gets a lot of looks.

CBRKURT
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Here's all the info as of right now. http://www.fieldtimetargetandtraining.com/index.php

I heard they were going to be open 24/7 but I'm not sure how true that is.

tonelar
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Steel core ammo is what damaged Jackson's backstop. Apparently someone ignored their sign. Now you can only shoot rifles there with ammo purchased there...

PatientCone
12-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Steel core ammo is what damaged Jackson's backstop. Apparently someone ignored their sign. Now you can only shoot rifles there with ammo purchased there...

Yeah, some indoor ranges check through all the ammo before you go shoot. Iron Sights checked through mine and I had a box of 22-250 in the case, even though I didn't bring that rifle, they won't allow that. They are restricted to certain velocities as well.

ChaneRZ
12-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Bullseye and Jackson Arms allow 223 ammo. You need to buy their ammo though and it is frangible. Check Guns and Fishing in Vacaville.

cfusionpm
12-05-2011, 11:35 AM
American Shooting Center in San Diego allows rifles as long as it's not steel (magnetic) ammo. I take my M1A there all the time. 25yd indoor range.

Never thought about anything bigger... But they didn't care about my friend's 30-06 M1 Garand either, as long as his ammo didn't stick to a magnet.

sendithit
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Most indoor ranges don't allow steel cased ammo.

Or magnet-attracting bullets.

zfields
12-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Some do, but they are few and far between. Sometimes they require you use frangible ammo also, which is stupid expensive.

zfields
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
called them just now, no 7.62X39 love for my co-worker. They only allow .22 and lever action rounds.

Thats surprising, some of the lever action stuff carries a HUGE punch compared to 223/762x39

PandaLuv
12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Some do, but they are few and far between. Sometimes they require you use frangible ammo also, which is stupid expensive.

think he said .357 is the biggest.

not sure what he meant by that cause I don't know squat about lever action rifles

bombadillo
12-05-2011, 12:31 PM
My indoor range said anything in a pistol caliber is OK, as well as any rimfire up to .22mag/.17hmr. He's pretty cool about letting people dial things in as well. I did see a guy try to shoot a .270 in there to get it sighted in like an idiot and he was kicked out immediately. He was quite a douchebag too for lying about what he was shooting in there.

Mac7504
12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
LAX shooting range allows it, but you have to take a class first..iirc.

arc
12-05-2011, 1:12 PM
LAX shooting range allows it, but you have to take a class first..iirc.

Huh, I never had to take a class at LAX range to shoot my rifle. I just had to buy their crazy expensive frangible ammo.

Most places I've been to are either pistol-caliber only (which would explain the lever-action comment, some people think pistol-caliber when they think lever-actions) or you have to buy their special frangible ammo.

Hope this helps.
-James

putemup
12-05-2011, 1:17 PM
Ironsights by me does

peter95
12-05-2011, 1:17 PM
22lr you can, but in general no centerfire.

LAX and Sharpshooters both allow centerfire if you take a class with them.

SIGSHOOTR
12-05-2011, 1:22 PM
OnTarget in OC have designated rifle lanes-- they will let you shoot green tips too. I've seen AKs there. But, you have to take a class with them and take a shooting test (it's cake-- off the shoulder at less than 25 meters)-- held every Sunday-- so they know you can shoot and not blast the crap out of the ceiling and target hangar. And if you're a member, they'll reserve you a lane if you give them about an hours notice. For me, it's a convenient place to get some trigger time in when I can't get out to the desert.

Mac7504
12-05-2011, 1:26 PM
Huh, I never had to take a class at LAX range to shoot my rifle. I just had to buy their crazy expensive frangible ammo.

Most places I've been to are either pistol-caliber only (which would explain the lever-action comment, some people think pistol-caliber when they think lever-actions) or you have to buy their special frangible ammo.

Hope this helps.
-James

You might be the exception to the rule, but as far as I know - you have to take a class. Someone destroyed a carrier from what I heard.

alfred1222
12-05-2011, 1:33 PM
Youre getting alot of suggestions for socal, but to answer your question, Target Masters doesnt allow rifles besides .22, and theyre very strict about stuff like that. As for as i know, no range in the San Jose/Milpitas area allows centerfire rifles. Outdoor ranges are your best bet

Merc1138
12-05-2011, 1:41 PM
Youre getting alot of suggestions for socal, but to answer your question, Target Masters doesnt allow rifles besides .22, and theyre very strict about stuff like that. As for as i know, no range in the San Jose/Milpitas area allows centerfire rifles. Outdoor ranges are your best bet

Reed's does, but only pistol calibers like an AR in 9mm(and they won't allow something like a pistol in .308)