View Full Version : .22 AR 15

12-05-2011, 9:18 AM
I am looking for a dedicated .22 AR and have been leaning toward the CMMG Quebec A. The lowest I could find it for was $489 shipped:

If I were to order it from CMMG, it would be around $595 after shipping:

Now the thing is I can only add upgrades if I order it from CMMG as far as mil spec ano, forward assist etc. If I end up getting it from CMMG it will end up being probably close to $700. Now my questions is are the upgrades worth the extra $200? Am I better off with the CMMG than a SW 15-22 or other brand?

12-05-2011, 9:53 AM
As far as upgrades go... I personally recommend the Stainless Steel version. It runs really well, requires no breakin period, and basically wipes clean.

The forward assist is nice, but IMHO, most people will never use it. I personally do use it, but i do recognize that if your gun is so dirty that you have to use the forward assist to get the round to seat, then you need to clean it. Still, its a nice training tool.... As I said, most people probably do not need it, but i like it.

The Mil Spec Anodizing... The only real difference is that the Anodized will match better with your lower receiver, where as the Ceramic looks a little different. Some people say that there is a difference in wear resistance... I personally disagree and think that it is a slight difference at best. That said, a majority of my uppers have been with the Anodized finish to match my lowers.

The Go/No Gauge upgrade... Frankly, its not needed unless you took apart your entire bolt (which is NOT recommended by CMMG) and you were so careless that you bent the rails out of spec.

The Bolt Hold Open Adapter... You can always do this upgrade after the fact, but it is really nice to have as you get a true Bolt Hold Open.

I personally think that the CMMG Evolution is the best system out there fore a AR based .22LR. Why? Because of how standardized all the parts are, how many options you have, and finally because of how reliable and accurate they are.

My suggestion would be to buy an Upper from Dave (Shadow65 here on CalGuns), you'll get a really good price with EXACTLY the features your looking for... Then you can go down to a local gunstore and buy a complete lower or a stripped lower and build off of that.

I Recently built another CMMG Evolution based rifle for < $600 (including tax, shipping, DROS fees, everything) with ALL the features (Minus a Rail System) that CMMG offers for their .22LR Uppers by getting an Upper from Dave.

12-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Get the cmmg evolution upper. You can get the upper alone for 379$ (I paid 399 at rifle gear but since found them all over for cheaper) runs reliable accurate and awesome. I can snipe broken orange clay targets at 100 yards and turn them into dust with 1 shot with a sighted in red dot.

12-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Get a hold of me.
CMMG will not ship a complete rifle to CA. I can help you get the upper you want.
Dave N

12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
+1 on what everyone says

And, +1 on Shadow65, Dave is the man!
He will get you the best price and steer you in the right direction. I have an Evolution upper from Dave and it performs beautifully. He's experienced w/ the CMMG product line - he tests all the products first hand.