PDA

View Full Version : rh trigger and lh bolt rifle

sendithit
12-05-2011, 7:35 AM
I've never shot a bolt-action, but I was thinking: With regards to bipod-equiped left-hand bolt rifles, would there be any advantage for a right-hand trigger puller/right eye dominant shooter to use a left-hand bolt rifle? I'm thinking the bipod does the job that the left hand normally does in supporting no-bipod rifle and allows the shooter to use his/her left hand to manipulate the left bolt-handle while the right trigger hand also helps to maintain/steady the rifle in the pocket of the shoulder, thus making follow-up shots easier/quicker/more accurate. Or am I off-base in my theory?

Merc1138
12-05-2011, 7:43 AM
I've never shot a bolt-action, but I was thinking: With regards to bipod-equiped left-hand bolt rifles, would there be any advantage for a right-hand trigger puller/right eye dominant shooter to use a left-hand bolt rifle? I'm thinking the bipod does the job that the left hand normally does in supporting the rifle and allows the shooter to use his/her left hand to manipulate the bolt-handle while the trigger hand also helps to maintain/steady the rifle in the pocket of the shoulder, thus making follow-up shots easier/more accurate. Or am I off-base in my theory?

Depending on the position, the left hand may be sitting under the stock in front of the shoulder supporting the rifle or adjusting a bag supporting the rifle. Doing that is an easy way to make extremely small adjustments that are stable. If you're on a bad surface, your left hand may end up helping to stabilize the bipod so it doesn't move around.

Plus, depending on the action you may need to move your face to operate the bolt(you may need to do it regardless of the side of bolt operation shooting from the same shoulder), since you have more clearance on the right side operating it with your right hand because your nose doesn't get in the way.

sendithit
12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
That makes perfect sense to me...thanks for the insight!

Fjold
12-05-2011, 3:51 PM
Most bolt action guns are designed to vent gases from a failed cartridge away from the shooter's face. Depending upon what rifle that you buy this could be compromised,

Some factory rifles and many custom actions have the option of a left side bolt with a right side ejection/loading port and a lot of F class and benchrest shooters are buying that option. I have a left handed Remington 788 that was built with a left bolt and right port.