PDA

View Full Version : Step One: Pick A Barrel

NorCalRifleman
03-02-2007, 8:11 AM
Okay, so I'm shopping around to start my first AR build (which will begin as soon as I return home from Iraq) and the biggest variable at this point is the barrel.

I want a coyote/ground squirrel rifle, so it has to have reach but it can't be too heavy. I was thinking of a 20 inch heavy that steps down to .750" after the gas block (a very common barrel).

Anyone have experience with these versus full bulls of the 20" or 24" variety?

What's the weight difference and how much heavier are they than the government profile that's real skinny under the handguards and .750" after the FSB?

I carry a standard M16A2 every day so any comparisons should be made to that configuration if possible. Actual weights of barrels or complete rifles would be excellent. I've just never held a bull AR and I don't want to buy something that is going to be a pain to hike around with. Then again, I have gotten used to walking around with a rifle, 210 rounds of ammo and a mother of an armor vest, so how bad can it be? :p

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. How much weight can you drop by fluting a bull barrel?

6172crew
03-02-2007, 8:16 AM
http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

At the bottom is a Varmint barrel, Id have them flute it to save some weight.

I dont think you can go wrong with a WO product unless yuor looking for GI chromeline.

NeoWeird
03-02-2007, 8:27 AM
I've always been under the mindset that unless you are pushing the limits of your cartridge in a competetion style of fashion, the added accuracy of these barrels isn't really all that great for the average shooter. Don't get me wrong, they are more accurate, esepcially over cheaper brands, but for shooting coyotes at ~100 yards an A2 contour barrel will serve just fine.

I mean picture it this way. You said you carry an M16A2 all day. If you were walking and you say a coyote 100 yards out, could you hit it? I bet you could, and with a decent piece of glass you could even be picky about where you hit it. So is hassling yourself, paying double the price, etc. just so your group is .650" instead of .800" really going to make a big difference to the coyote?

Don't get me wrong, the barrels have their place, but it defeats their purpose to use factory ammo because of their inconsistancies. So unless you are reloading it's kind of a moot point, and if you are reloading then there are more factors to what you are going to load for (twist rate, bullet weight, powders, etc) than we can easily go over here just to cover what would be good.

Again, this is my opinion, but I believe unless you are shooting out past 300 yards, those 'precision' barrels are just a gimic that new shooters waste money on. Again, they have their place, but it's not with people just getting seriously into the sport.

Go with a good company and get whatever barrel fits the length, contour, etc. that you need. I'd imagine that any Bushmaster, Colt, Armalite, CMMG, etc. barrel with accomplish the task you need without costing you an arm and a leg.

ocabj
03-02-2007, 8:28 AM
What bullets are you going to be using?

The White Oak varmint barrels are currently only cut in 1 in 7" twists. I'm not a varminter, but I know that varmint hunters prefer light weight bullets in the realm of 55 or lower. Is that the case for you?

I suggest you figure out what you want to shoot as far as bullets go, then find a barrel in the appropriate twist rate.

As far as weight reduction, I doubt you'll get more than a 1lb differential between a 'bull' barrel 20" and a fluted 20".

Personally, I don't think you'll have trouble carrying a rifle with a 'bull' barrel. But I come from a mindset where heavy is better. My high power service rifle AR weighs in at about 15lbs with lead weights in the front and rear.

BTW: I'll say it before someone else does -- you may want to retake a picture for your avatar with the finger off the trigger. Rule #2: Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Prc329
03-02-2007, 8:31 AM
I'm getting pretty good groups out of a Rock River Arms Wilson barrel I bought from Adco Firearms. i bet one of the barrels he sells would serve your purpose. You won't spend more then $270 for a barrel. I own 2 16' barrels in 1-8 from him. One is a mid length gas system and I get just under 1" groups at 100 yards when I can hold the rifle still. That is perfect for me. I only paid $200 each for the barrels. No chrome lining though but they are stainless (the two I bought).

NeoWeird
03-02-2007, 9:04 AM
I'll say it before someone else does -- you may want to retake a picture for your avatar with the finger off the trigger. Rule #2: Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Yeah, but he's in the 'box so everywhere is down range and he's always ready to fire. At least he's wearing eye protection...

shinigami
03-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, but he's in the 'box so everywhere is down range and he's always ready to fire. At least he's wearing eye protection...

It's funny, every time I look at that avatar I cringe a bit :D

bu-bye
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
First off I want to say thanks for serving. You have made me and my family proud of you all :)

A 20 inch heavy barrel is going to weigh a good amount esp if you put a big hunk of glass on top and have a heavy hand guard. Fluting, if done right, can help a LOT. My buddy has a 20 inch white oak with LaRue handgaurd and ACOG which is much lighter then my DPMS heavy barrel 16" upper. A good couple pounds in fact. Accuracy wise they are the same but my is easier to group because of the 16X scope. Here is a pic of the two....

http://64.124.10.205/dpmsWOsmall.JPG

6172crew
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
First off I want to say thanks for serving. You have made me and my family proud of you all :)

A 20 inch heavy barrel is going to weigh a good amount esp if you put a big hunk of glass on top and have a heavy hand guard. Fluting, if done right, can help a LOT. My buddy has a 20 inch white oak with LaRue handgaurd and ACOG which is much lighter then my DPMS heavy barrel 16" upper. A good couple pounds in fact. Accuracy wise they are the same but my is easier to group because of the 16X scope. Here is a pic of the two....

I got to check out that white oak at Chabot, I really want one of those.
I think he said he was getting under 1moa with good ammo, no?

Im surprised your DPMS can shoot that well.:)

mltrading
03-02-2007, 11:32 AM
For the purposes you stated, any BBL inbetween 18" and 24" will meet your requirements.

The 18" and 20" ones are available everywhere. No need to discuss. If you like long BBL, 24" is good looking.

The 24" heavy BBL (.750) is easy to get. But I only see Model1 sell 24" heavy BBL made by ER Shaw.

If you like bull BBL, there are a lot of choices. For 24"'s. Model1 offers ER Shaw fluted (.830, which is rare) BBL. WOA, DPMS and RRA all offer bull BBL in .930.:)

6172crew
03-02-2007, 4:07 PM
Not bad for chrome lined IMO.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=317809

bu-bye
03-02-2007, 8:18 PM
I got to check out that white oak at Chabot, I really want one of those.
I think he said he was getting under 1moa with good ammo, no?

Im surprised your DPMS can shoot that well.:)

Oh man my DPMS used to do 1/4MOA in the pre-3000 round days! Barrel is over the hill now but will still shoot sub MOA all day. My next barrel will be a WOA