PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 vs. MR1

Go Navy
12-04-2011, 3:45 PM
It would be nice to have a semi-auto carbine type rifle free of evil features, with a real mag release button, rather than the gimmicky bullet button or fixed mag (I have an FN SCAR 16S with a bullet button and I'm keeping it).

If we limit the universe of choices to major manufacturers, recognized brands, available at most dealers in Taxifornia, proven designs, with no evil features, in 5.56/.223, I arbitrarily narrow things down to the Mini-14 vs. the Benelli MR1. I own a newer model Mini-14 stainless/synthetic Ranch Rifle in .223 and like it and it shoots well. But, I've handled the MR1 in the store a couple of times and it is calling out to me seductively, and I may not be able to resist the siren song.

Here are some pros and cons between the two. What's your opinion?

Mini-14 Ranch Rifle:

Available in 5.56/.223 OR 6.8 SPC, which is interesting.
6.75-7lbs, depending on which stock you choose (wood is available for traditionalists)
18.5 inch barrel
Stainless option
Will not run AR-16/M16 mags
Design upgraded and improved recently by Ruger
Scope rings included
Piston driven
No rails
No comb insert
No adjustable length of pull
Street price around $900 new

Benelli MR1:

5.56/.223 only
7.9 lbs
16 inch barrel
No stainless option
Runs standard AR-15/M16 mags
Synthetic stock only...Comfortech stock gets good reviews
Picatinny rail standard on top, but rear sight too high (can be removed w/effort)
Piston driven
Comb insert
3 sizes recoil pads standard
About $1200 street price, new

In my mind, once you move into the featureless realm, while there are other lesser known manufacturers and/or cheaper alternatives, it comes down to these two in Taxifornia.

Reductio
12-04-2011, 3:49 PM
Entire picture thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=253777

Better than either:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/FF4Fun/1-1.jpg

Go Navy
12-04-2011, 3:51 PM
I can't tolerate the look of that "thing" on the pistol grip, but thanks for the suggestion.

Reductio
12-04-2011, 3:52 PM
I can't tolerate the look of that "thing" on the pistol grip, but thanks for the suggestion.

Well that's your problem, form > function. :p Featureless AR can clock in cheaper and 'better' than either of the options you've got there, look also at hammerheads / monsterman grips. If you're just looking for looks though, why not bullet button?

Go Navy
12-04-2011, 4:11 PM
Here's a review attached on the MR1.

Mossy Man
12-04-2011, 5:01 PM
never handled the MR1 before, but if you look around for sales you can generally find a standard synthetic blued ranch rifle .223/5.56 for around $650 and I endorse the mini.

Even the shop near me (who are traditionally pretty expensive) has a sale for $650 for brand new mini 14s.

for $100 or so, you can add in a good scout rail like an ultimak or something.

but, i'm going to say AR mags >>>>>> mini 14 mags

ap3572001
12-04-2011, 5:08 PM
I own both. Like them both.

comblock
12-04-2011, 5:26 PM
.223 theres the saiga. If your willing to go a different caliber, 545x39, 762x39 .308 all featureless in a saiga.

tiger222
12-04-2011, 6:40 PM
I like the mini for nostalgia (A-team!) I like the MR for high quality rifle, so your pick.... a stainless mini with wood though ;) handle them both, but the MR is probably the better pick for overall use. And just to through a ringer in the loop, I have a HK SL6 which I just love too.

SgtJT27
12-04-2011, 6:44 PM
Stick with the mini-14. Easier to manipulate controls compared to the MR1.

Bhobbs
12-04-2011, 7:12 PM
I like the Mini over the MR1 but I don't have either.

I saw a Nut'n Fancy (yeah I know) review of the new Tapco Mini 14 gen 2 mags and they seemed pretty solid.

Go Navy
12-04-2011, 8:52 PM
I like the mini for nostalgia (A-team!) I like the MR for high quality rifle, so your pick.... a stainless mini with wood though ;) handle them both, but the MR is probably the better pick for overall use. And just to through a ringer in the loop, I have a HK SL6 which I just love too.

Never heard of the HK SL6 before. Thanks for letting us know about that!

bohoki
12-05-2011, 12:30 AM
i maybe childish but calling my gun an MR is almost as funny as my walther pp

jyo
12-05-2011, 1:14 AM
I believe I've had a Mini 14 of some sort my entire adult life---can't really say anything bad about them---yeah, I know, they're not target grade rifles, but I generally hit most anything I aim at, so no problem. Now that factory 10 shot magazines are available, even better. I seem to see them regularly on sale at BIG 5 for around $650---stainless a little more.

Target19
12-05-2011, 7:53 AM
I would get a used M1A.
Mini 14 over MR1 anyday the whole piston system from a Benelli M4 never appealed to me the Benelli M4 is pretty finicky about ammo in my opinion also don't like the barrel on the MR1

dfletcher
12-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I have both, although my Mini was sent to Accuracy Systems and a new barrel, some additional work was done. I wouldn't again buy an older pencil barrel Mini, so for comparison to the MR 1 I guess we'd use the "new improved" Mini - yes?

I very much like my Mini, wood stock with wood forend and the trigger is very nice - I think it's better than the MR 1. The MR 1 is very reliable, I've put about 1K rounds through it with no failure at all - zero. It takes all my AR magazines. I figure accuracy of each is about the same, not a whole lot of add ons for the MR 1 if a person is so inclined.

The MR 1 does have a bit more control to it during firing, stays on target better. I have an AAC brake on the Mini and a Nordic on the Benelli. It was very mild mannered before but the Benelli doesn't even move off target when firing now. The Mini does a bit of jumping about what with the op rod slapping back & forth - the Benelli is much crisper.

I don't see a huge diference between the two, like them both.