PDA

View Full Version : FFA Breeder Pig

DeanW66
12-04-2011, 2:10 PM
Ok, so I saw an ad on craigslist for somebody selling their "Breeder Pigs from the FFA project." I replied and simple asked, what is expected from somebody who buys one of these to be done with them? I never got an answer from the OP.

So, does anybody know what are the expectations? I mean $150 for 135 pound porker is a lot less $ than most of the guided hunts ;-). Posted to camping/outdoors 'cause its not hunting.

Neuvik
12-04-2011, 3:04 PM
You buy pigs and you do what you want with them. Unless they have wussified FFA to the extreme, you wont phase them declaring that you just plan to slaughter them. Although discretion is best...

If you want a breeding pair, find out when they were bred, and look up the recomended breeding cycle is for the particular breed. You will need to buy or make pig boards to pen in the boar; and both the sow and boar will tiller up the earth to no end. They even do it with rings...so hopefully that isn't a problem. Although by the lbs, it seems like its a pet breed so they wont be too hard to manage.

MrsFS
12-04-2011, 4:47 PM
Decent price. Take it home, fatten it up, and take it to a good butcher. Good eats! The quality and taste is so much better than the meat in the store. We get an FFA pig every year at the fair. The lambs and goats are good eats too!

Sunday
12-05-2011, 7:00 AM
My neighbor kids raise pigs every year "4H". They are real cute when little and grow up to be big ugly pigs that are good to eat.

DeanW66
12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replies all.