PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 questions

grant22
12-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but here goes.

I'm really interested in getting a 700 SPS Tactical in .223, but looking to see if the 5R model at Bud's is worth the extra money $$$? I understand the stock on the 5R is really nice, but I'd be selling it anyway since either 700 I get will end up with a B&C vertical grip style stock.

Basically, is the 5R way more accurate, does it have any other features that are way nicer (trigger?), and I'm not factoring in the nicer stock since I'll be removing it anyway.

Any help is appreciated.

GUNNTZ
12-04-2011, 1:15 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=500421&highlight=remington+5R

Read this, most questions were covered recently. I own one and say yes it's worth the extra money.

grant22
12-04-2011, 2:28 PM
Roger that, read that thread a while ago.....just want to make sure the 5R by itself is worth the extra bucks since I'll unfortunately be shedding the stock. The classic angled grip doesn't mix well with my wrist, so unfortunately, it'll have to go.

Also, the only info I can find on the 5R weapon we're talking about is on Bud's site, and it doesn't state what trigger it has or anything. The info there is minimal.

I like the idea of buying a highly accurate bolt action .223 without going custom, but want to make sure the 5r will be a good long term rifle. It would be nice if the stock was the only thing I'd be swapping out would be the stock.

GUNNTZ
12-04-2011, 3:08 PM
The barrel and stock are the reason for the increase in cost. Trigger is the x-mark adjustable they put in all of their rifles. The bolt appears to be standard to, but may have some hidden improvements; not sure. At 150 mine will stay on a quarter, unless I twitch. If you are looking for a custom trigger set and a better stock, you might want to go custom because it sounds like you are looking for some specific pieces in your build.

grant22
12-04-2011, 3:23 PM
Let me bug you with a few more questions:

-Is the X-Mark pretty good? Are you totally happy with its feel?
-Is it true I could probably sell the stock for $200 - $250?
-Is the stock and action bedded? Wondering if I sold the stock and put on a B&C Medalist, would that be hurting the accuracy.......in that case I'd leave the factory (H-S?) stock.

Thx for the advice.

GUNNTZ
12-04-2011, 3:58 PM
In my opinion (key idea here):

X-mark trigger is pretty damn good, highly recommend you set it to 2.5# and becomes real smooth after 200+ pulls.

Not sure what the stock could sell for, I kept mine. I like the enhanced palm swell and cheek rest on the stock, though a pad did make it better.

They are aluminum bedded from the custom shop. If the new stock is not bedded to the gun accuracy could go out the window. Never looked at a stock change, but have considered adding a detachable magazine.

grant22
12-04-2011, 4:36 PM
Thx Gunntz, you've been a big help.

SgtJT27
12-04-2011, 4:46 PM
I have the B&C medalist stock and it's aluminum bedded, didn't hurt accuracy at all. If you're more Comfortable with the vertical grip of the B&C then go for it.

grant22
12-04-2011, 5:33 PM
Thx, good to hear. I'll probably spend some time with the original stock, then go from there.

Did you sell your original stock?

brian01tj
12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
In my opinion (key idea here):

X-mark trigger is pretty damn good, highly recommend you set it to 2.5# and becomes real smooth after 200+ pulls.

It's an ok trigger. Id prefer an old version stock trigger to the new xmark. Set it light and get used to it. Then try out a nice aftermarket one and pick one you like, its a great improvement.

Not sure what the stock could sell for, I kept mine. I like the enhanced palm swell and cheek rest on the stock, though a pad did make it better.

$200 range

They are aluminum bedded from the custom shop. If the new stock is not bedded to the gun accuracy could go out the window.

They arent aluminum bedded. The stock has bedding block in it. "Bedding" is a process that involves a bedding compound to the stock that fills all the small imperfections in the stock and mates your action to the stock perfectly. This is another way to improve accuray over an aluminum bedding block in you stock.

Here is a link to a great bedding job done to a rifle. He is a fellow shooting buddy of mine and has done several other stocks. You need to register to actually view it but it a GREAT write up.

CHECK IT OUT HERE (http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7)

grant22
12-05-2011, 6:38 AM
Alright, I've decided I'm buying this rifle in .223 but do have a few more questions:

-I can't find this rifle anywhere on Rem's websites (military, police, or reg). Do any of you know where this rifle is listed and its specs?

-This rifle (for me) will be all about accuracy at the range. I am, however, interested in converting it to accept mags. Will this conversion affect accuracy?

-I have an oppertunity to buy this rifle in AZ with a threaded muzzle. Do any of you know if this was a Rem option? Or is it possibly done by the dealer? Will it affect accuracy?

THX

brian01tj
12-05-2011, 8:36 AM
Alright, I've decided I'm buying this rifle in .223 but do have a few more questions:

-I can't find this rifle anywhere on Rem's websites (military, police, or reg). Do any of you know where this rifle is listed and its specs?
See the links below

-This rifle (for me) will be all about accuracy at the range. I am, however, interested in converting it to accept mags. Will this conversion affect accuracy?
No it will not change accuracy at all.

-I have an oppertunity to buy this rifle in AZ with a threaded muzzle. Do any of you know if this was a Rem option? Or is it possibly done by the dealer? Will it affect accuracy?
I believe its the AAC version or somthing like that. But that gun comes with a 1:12 twist barrel....see my notes below on this. A threaded barrel does not hurt accuracy but will you be buying a muzzle brake for it? If no than its not needed.

This would be my choice. It has the faster twist barrel which is 1:9. This is a benefit because it allows you to shoot heavier bullets, which are best for distance shooting.
Rem. 700 .223 5R Stainless with 1:9 twist $1066 shipped (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540283)

If you plan on shooting within 300 yds this is another option. The 1:12 twist is only good for the super light weight bullets for varmint hunting.
Rem. 700 .223 SPS Tactical Hogue Stock 1:12 twist $581 shipped (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42069)

grant22
12-05-2011, 9:18 AM
Thx for the links......I know about the Bud's site (which offers no real specs on the gun), but can't find this rifle on any of Rem's sites.

I don't need a brake, but like the threaded barrel for throwing on my Gemtech Trek suppressor.

Although most of my shooting will be within the 300 yd line, I think I would also prefer the 1-9 twist.

Thx for the tips guys!

GUNNTZ
12-05-2011, 4:45 PM
Here is a link to a great bedding job done to a rifle. He is a fellow shooting buddy of mine and has done several other stocks. You need to register to actually view it but it a GREAT write up.

CHECK IT OUT HERE (http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7)

Whether you use an aluminum block or filling in the gaps with compound, it's still considered bedding the action of the rifle. It's just a different way and most likely cheaper I'm sure, is the other way better...I'm sure this could be debated until we're blue in the face. As for the trigger, my opinion still stands. When they are new, they're a little rough feeling, but they do smooth out. Not everyone can or wants drop more cash on a new trigger setup, especially if they're shooting habits don't dictate it.