PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Lower ?

icenix
12-04-2011, 9:26 AM
So, if I purchase a complete lower I have a 10 day wait. Is that the same with a stripped lower? Does it matter if I purchase the LPK from the same place at the same time?

If there is no 10 day wait, how does registration work on the gun?

I know there are videos on YouTube about how to put a LPK together with a stripped lower, but as someone who has never done it, would I be able to do it easy enough? I don't want to embark and then get stuck and not be able to finish.

Does a stripped lower have to be mailed to an FFL like a complete one in CA?

Just want some info and peeps opinions. Thanks

Spitfire75
12-04-2011, 9:39 AM
Yes, you still need to wait 10 days. The lower receiver is what the BATFE considers to be the actual "firearm". If you buy a lower parts kit at the same time, you can take that home with you. LPKs are just considered as "parts".

The only tools you'll need to install the LPK is a couple do small roll pin punches and a hammer. You may also want to pick up some masking tape to help you avoid scratching the lower while you hammer in the pins. If you're also installing a butt stock, you may need a special wrench for that, depending on which type of stock you wish to install.

Finally, yes...stripped lower receivers must be shipped to an FFL. Is has to happen before the DROS and 10 day wait begins.

Good luck and have fun! I'll be building a new (number 6) one in a week and I can't wait!

troysland
12-04-2011, 9:39 AM
Yes, 10 day wait on the stripped lower. Everything else can be purchased online or store. And have it sent to your front door.

CSACANNONEER
12-04-2011, 9:50 AM
While there is a ten day wait on stripped lowers, there is ZERO "registration" for them. So, your question about registration can only be answered by letting you know that lowers and all long guns are not registered in California. DROS paperwork does not even have a place for a SN. The only exceptions are that RAWs, registered 50BMG rifles, firearms registered using the voluntary registration form and those guns released due to a LEGR form end up "registered" with the state. If you buy a new rifle from a gun shop, it won't be registed though.

icenix
12-04-2011, 9:58 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, one of my other concerns is scratching the dang lower while putting it together, lol. I saw a guy on YouTube put one together, and he had done it before, and he scratched it up a bit.

tomd1584
12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
electrical tape can avoid any scratches. just wrap your channel locks & lower receiver with electrical tape and you're GTG.

My first lower took about 30 minutes, and that was going super slow & careful.

Good luck!

GMG
12-04-2011, 1:21 PM
electrical tape can avoid any scratches. just wrap your channel locks & lower receiver with electrical tape and you're GTG.

My first lower took about 30 minutes, and that was going super slow & careful.

Good luck!

Good info right here !

VCMike
12-04-2011, 3:22 PM
Just purchased a stripped lower after waiting the 10 days they made us have a lock, They threw it in for free but that just seems like the dumbest thing ever to lock the mag well on a stripped lower.

CSACANNONEER
12-04-2011, 4:27 PM
Just purchased a stripped lower after waiting the 10 days they made us have a lock, They threw it in for free but that just seems like the dumbest thing ever.

If you don't have a safe, it's the law. I guess the dumbest thing is buying guns and not having a safe.

glock7
12-04-2011, 4:59 PM
Don't worry about scratching the lower. Its gonna happen. It happened when I did mine. I don't even sweat it. That being said tape it up and that shOuld help. That bolt catch is a bearcat and also the trigger guard can be a pain. Good luck and enjoy. Got an upper for it yet?

glock7
12-04-2011, 5:02 PM
Some people put their hard earned money into the firearm and can't afford the safe....besides if an intruder comes in a safe does no good without the weapon....;)

icenix
12-04-2011, 5:54 PM
Don't worry about scratching the lower. Its gonna happen. It happened when I did mine. I don't even sweat it. That being said tape it up and that shOuld help. That bolt catch is a bearcat and also the trigger guard can be a pain. Good luck and enjoy. Got an upper for it yet?

I have one that I am looking at and like, it's a Stag 2HT. The lower has been my problem, as the only ones local are all standard and no enhanced LPKs, such as a Spikes standard lower. This will be my first AR and I was thinking I would prefer the enhanced lower, but I don't know if I really need it. However, if I want an enhanced one I have to FFL it or build it from a LPK. So, just going through my options.

icenix
12-04-2011, 5:56 PM
Just purchased a stripped lower after waiting the 10 days they made us have a lock, They threw it in for free but that just seems like the dumbest thing ever.

If you don't have a safe, it's the law. I guess the dumbest thing is buying guns and not having a safe.

So, do you just tell them you have a safe, or do they make you prove it before they will let you have the gun? If they make you prove it, how do you do that? I don't have a receipt or anything because I got mine a long time ago.

Nismo
12-04-2011, 6:01 PM

Never made a mark on mine when I assembled my lower. Not that it matters as it will get scratched with use but not scratching a lower when assembling isnt rocket surgery.

nickyrr
12-04-2011, 7:06 PM
Besides using electric tape... Buy the right tools for your ar install. Will make your life easier.. I'm taking about punches, hammer, ar block.. will save you time and headache and once your done you can keep it for a later build or sell it here for about the same price either way its worth getting it.

nickyrr
12-04-2011, 7:09 PM
While there is a ten day wait on stripped lowers, there is ZERO "registration" for them. So, your question about registration can only be answered by letting you know that lowers and all long guns are not registered in California. DROS paperwork does not even have a place for a SN. The only exceptions are that RAWs, registered 50BMG rifles, firearms registered using the voluntary registration form and those guns released due to a LEGR form end up "registered" with the state. If you buy a new rifle from a gun shop, it won't be registed though.

Just learned something new today...

CSACANNONEER
12-04-2011, 7:18 PM
So, do you just tell them you have a safe, or do they make you prove it before they will let you have the gun? If they make you prove it, how do you do that? I don't have a receipt or anything because I got mine a long time ago.

There is a safe affidavit that you fill out stating the make and model of your California approved safe. There is a Federal law which reqiuires a gun lock be present when you leave the store with a handgun but, the safe affidavit works for all long guns.

C3ncal559
12-04-2011, 8:09 PM
I got a spikes lower the multi cal stripped lower , rock river lpk, magpul 10/30 clip, bullet button,rock river 6 position stock all from golden state tactical , the guy was great. I spent 280 for all Tht . I looked up how to build one on online and did, before that I never knew how to but know I do and it was a breeze

hcbr
12-04-2011, 10:01 PM
yep 10 day mang, no matter if it's stripped or has the LPK

Purple K
12-05-2011, 1:52 AM
Some people put their hard earned money into the firearm and can't afford the safe....besides if an intruder comes in a safe does no good without the weapon....;)

If you can't afford the safe, you can't afford the gun. Every stolen gun is another gun in the hands of a criminal. How would you feel if YOUR gun was stolen and later used in a murder?

roushstage2
12-05-2011, 2:58 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, one of my other concerns is scratching the dang lower while putting it together, lol. I saw a guy on YouTube put one together, and he had done it before, and he scratched it up a bit.
I just put my very first one together a few weeks ago, and the only part that got nicked was around the bolt catch roll pin because I didn't have a roll pin punch. 3 little "taps" with the tip of a Sharpie, and it looks like new. Just take your time, buy a punch IMO, and you should be fine following the CalGuns assembly guide. Just make sure you get the disconnector and trigger spring installed the correct way.

VCMike
12-05-2011, 5:47 AM

I agree ^^^ I have three California approved safes and I have filled out the Affidavits, they say it is just easier for them to give locks than worry about the paperwork anymore!!!

It just seemed strange you need a lock to purchase an unfinished piece of aluminum, what I am I going to do with it throw it at someone, the lock will hurt them more? I understand it is going to become a gun someday, it was just really goofy looking, locking the lock through the mag well and that is the only part on the stripped lower.

Flintlock Tom
12-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I agree ^^^ I have three California approved safes and I have filled out the Affidavits, they say it is just easier for them to give locks than worry about the paperwork anymore!!!

It just seemed strange you need a lock to purchase an unfinished piece of aluminum, what I am I going to do with it throw it at someone, the lock will hurt them more? I understand it is going to become a gun someday, it was just really goofy looking, locking the lock through the mag well and that is the only part on the stripped lower.

Interestingly, the law does not say you must USE the lock, it simply says the lock must be present.