View Full Version : What's the best factory single set trigger?

12-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm on vacation in France and found the local hunting shop. They had quite a few guns that I've never seen before. For some reason my eye kept catching the Merkel brand rifles. They had a used KR1 in 7.62. It was an interesting design, the entire receiver slides back when you actuate the bolt lever, rather than just the bolt moving within the receiver. I asked the guy if it has a single set trigger and he demonstrated it for me before handing it over for me to try myself. The gun, used, was 2900, about $3900, and the trigger, when set, felt like it could be tripped by simply breathing on it.

Are there some known companies or models that have really outstanding set triggers, or are most pretty similar. Would a Steyr or a CZ probably feel like the Merkel?

12-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I like the CZ single set trigger. Highly adjustable and it can get down very light. I have the one set on my CZ 527 around a pound, maybe less (don't have a trigger pull gauge but just compared it with my Jewell that's around 2 ounces).

I highly recommend CZ rifles. They are very well built and superbly accurate, especially for a factory rifle! Best of luck to you.