PDA

View Full Version : Sac Valley: 300-1000 yards, December 10 & 11

Ahhnother8
12-03-2011, 9:25 PM
Sac Valley Shooting Center:

December 10 - Folsom Special (300, 500, 600, 800 yards)
December 11 - Palma match (800, 900, 1000 yards)

Folsom Special course of fire will be 2 sighters and 10 for record at 300, 500, 600, and 800 yards. Twenty minutes for each stage and the target will be pulled and marked for each shot.

The Palma match is unlimited sighters and 15 shots for record at 800 yards, 2 sighters and 15 shots for record at 900 and 1000 yards. Time limit is 22 minutes for each string.

Both are prone matches, so all shooting is on the ground. All types of rifles are welcomed (except .50's) - there will be target rifle, f-class, and possibly tactical awards if there are enough competitors in each class. Muzzle brakes will be allowed, but those using them will be given much grief. Each shooter will be pulling targets and scoring throughout the day. After each shot, the target will be pulled and marked. Meet at Culbertson Cove (the building/camping area below the 1000 yard line) between 7:00-7:30 for squadding. Cost is $20.

O'Connell will be doing squadding right there. It is a semi-informal match, with much harmless banter and fun. If you have never shot at mid to long range before, just show up with a 100, 200, or 300 yard zero. There will be plenty of help with comeups from there. We typically have a BBQ immediately after the match. Hamburger or hotdog and chips and drink for $2.

Hope to see a few new shooters out there.

mattt
12-04-2011, 7:08 AM
btt

mattt
12-06-2011, 5:23 AM
btt

negolien
12-06-2011, 6:09 AM
Good chance to see a competition at a great place. I assume volunteers to pull targets and clean up are welcome?

mattt
12-06-2011, 4:38 PM
Eveyone is welcome always nice to see range 12 in action but you have to be there early before the gate is locked 7.30 am

wooger
12-06-2011, 4:46 PM
Better yet, bring a rifle and do some shooting while "volunteering". :)

mattt
12-06-2011, 6:14 PM
2 shooters I know are shooting there AR,s 223 sat but I am not sure if the 223 can make it to 800 yards? I dont think so as this is a short range round ;)

alfred1222
12-06-2011, 6:17 PM
I think i can come to this one, do you have to be a member to shoot?

mattt
12-06-2011, 6:28 PM
No you dont have to be a member Just show up let someone know you are new and your set.Pm me for more info. You will learn more at one long range match then months on the internet!!

killshot44
12-06-2011, 6:29 PM
123 views and this little response.......?

There has to be a couple hundred Calgunners within driving distance to Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.
Every month these matches get posted and yet no one shows up besides the few who have started coming up this year. I don't get it.

Sac Valley is one of the nicest places one can shoot and the ONLY place in NorCal to shoot long range.
Nearly every person who comes out and tries it gets hooked and the matches are well-run and idiot-free.
We shoot early to take advantage of still air, yeah it's really early and it's a drive - but are you a shooter or not?

Saturday's "Folsom Special" is perfect for first timers, starting at 300 yards. Alright, let's hear those excuses! :rolleyes:

Lead-Thrower
12-06-2011, 6:47 PM
I really want to be there this weekend, but I have finals and graduation next week (I know, excuses excuses...). I will definitely try to make it out there in January though.

PachecoFTW
12-06-2011, 7:22 PM
I would love to go but my only long range capable rifle has yet to be DROS'ed and i work weekend and i have to take my little brother to a card playing tournament.

nimoZ
12-06-2011, 7:46 PM
I hope to be there for both days :D

Same size target for 300, 500, 600 and 800?
(F-Class)

Looks like great weather too - 0% chance for rain...

killshot44
12-06-2011, 8:36 PM
Same size target for 300, 500, 600 and 800?
(F-Class)

Using the F-Class Half MOA X Ring targets, different targets at each distance. But at 800 the X ring is 5" and the Ten ring is 10". Easy!

nimoZ
12-06-2011, 8:40 PM
Using the F-Class Half MOA X Ring targets, different targets at each distance. But at 800 the X ring is 5" and the Ten ring is 10". Easy!

OK, So we will spending some time changing targets, or maybe just the centers?
- Nothing involving the elements is ever easy :)

17+1
12-06-2011, 8:53 PM
Can't do it!

Taking the wife's brother shooting this coming weekend.

ilawson
12-06-2011, 9:46 PM
So it's shot prone, can I use a sling?

Pthfndr
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
So it's shot prone, can I use a sling?

You can always use a sling in a prone match. F Class and Tactical rifle people are about the only ones who don't.

Pthfndr
12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
OK, So we will spending some time changing targets, or maybe just the centers?
- Nothing involving the elements is ever easy :)

300 yards uses one target, 500/600 use a different target (with different centers for each), and 800 uses the LR target (same one as 900/1000).

Whether you have to change out targets/centers just depends on which relay you are on. Usually you'll have to do it at least once. No big deal.

mag360
12-07-2011, 3:29 AM
all I have is .223 AR and an acog so I'm ill equipped but it sounds fun. Need a good bolt gun or AR10 to have some long range fun.

mattt
12-07-2011, 4:49 AM
Was joking about 223 not being good enough.I am shooting a 223 along with 3 other friends in the match sat. People shoot iron sights out to 1k and your acog should work.

17+1
12-07-2011, 5:56 AM
all I have is .223 AR and an acog so I'm ill equipped but it sounds fun. Need a good bolt gun or AR10 to have some long range fun.

I shot my M1 to 800 in Sac a couple months ago...has 1 MOA click GI sights and a standard contour barrel. Used a old crusty web sling.

Shot a 130-something out of 150 with it. Think I even got x's...wasn't that hard. ;)

Cheap Shot
12-07-2011, 7:27 AM
I have been to one WW1/WW2 match and one of these informal anything shoots matches as a non-shooting volunteer both times. I didn't even realize thay changed the target sizes. I was group 3 both times and must have just missed it somehow in the rotations. I really plan on bringing my rifle next time I go, but lack of work is biting my playtime budget.

alpalwal
12-07-2011, 9:31 AM
I came out to a class a couple months ago and had a great time. I'm just working on getting my reloading bench all set up so I can have some ammo to shoot! Hopefully I'll make it out in a month or two.

negolien
12-07-2011, 3:32 PM
Went out to zero my Nikon Buckmaster and was on paper but not really tight groups ... Paid alot for one of them green laser boresighters but it doesn't work for crap at any reasonable distance beyond 25 yards. I went to rancho which only has 25 and 100 for rifles so ....It's alot easier to go 25 yards a pop then adjust ya know? The Eotech was puching holes like an inch and a half in diamater at 25 yards with 2 ten round clips of wolfy at a good pace with no rest between mags..I shot her at 100 and she'd hit an 8 or 6 inch plate probably With the Eotech. the nikons body shot size but I was adjusting and have a hard time seeing 100 yards to adjust without the breaks ya know.

Pthfndr
12-07-2011, 7:57 PM
It looks like there will be 9 or more guys from my vintage military rifle group coming out Saturday. We shot the same distances on the same targets for our matches.

Most of them shot 2-3 matches, so they know how to pull and mark targets, and mark a score card.

wooger
12-07-2011, 8:00 PM
You going to put them on the same relay or on three+ points?

Pthfndr
12-07-2011, 9:01 PM
You going to put them on the same relay or on three+ points?

That's up to Jim. I'm going to suggest to Jim that he put them on the same firing points. You know how it is with the military rifle sights since you've done it, and some of them may need a "little" help out at 800.

mattt
12-08-2011, 5:26 PM
Wow looks to be a great turnout for sat

fusionstar
12-08-2011, 5:40 PM
I would love to come and see how everything is done. My Bolt guns are all locked up in my sisters house up north. If not then im going fishing.

mattt
12-08-2011, 6:17 PM
Be at range 12 Before 7:30 and come watch how it works. The front gate at Sac Valley will be open and drive to the end of the range which is 12 there will be alot of poeple coming in at this time for the match so follow them.

Metal Fiend
12-08-2011, 6:26 PM
Damn...maybe next time, I've got a funeral to go to on Sat. and I'm driving the GF, her sister & kids to the airport on Sunday.

I've also got a co-worker that shoots out there all time and he was telling me that I really need to check it out.

killshot44
12-10-2011, 2:20 PM
Congrats to Sean, taking the money in F/TR today.

Wish I could have been there to challenge him, he's shooting better every match!

Kudos to everyone who got out there today (or tomorrow)

See you fellas on Jan 14th for the next match.

mattt
12-10-2011, 4:22 PM
Thanks Bob conditions were great and great people.

nimoZ
12-10-2011, 5:17 PM
Thanks Bob conditions were great and great people.

Yes, good job!
- but we are adding sat + sun together, right ?
:D

mattt
12-10-2011, 6:05 PM
Nimo I would like to give you a chance on winning your money back but my 223 sav maxed out of moa at 800 .If I had my 308 I would shoot f/tr sun .Dont get baned from another town you guys stay at!The Swedish f/tr team is getting a reputation:D

nimoZ
12-10-2011, 6:27 PM
Nimo I would like to give you a chance on winning your money back but my 223 sav maxed out of moa at 800 .If I had my 308 I would shoot f/tr sun .Dont get baned from another town you guys stay at!The Swedish f/tr team is getting a reputation:D

J/k - see you next time :)

And just for the record, I think we will be allowed back to Sutter Creek :)

mattt
12-10-2011, 6:34 PM
wow a tactical shooter with a 260 with scope shooting palma targets won high score for the match. Good job.:D

Pthfndr
12-10-2011, 7:07 PM
wow a tactical shooter with a 260 with scope shooting palma targets won high score for the match. Good job.:D

You can blame Jim for that. He's the one that squaded everyone. I know one tactical shooter, from the NCPPRC, asked to use the smaller F class target and was told no, use the regular target.

But, fwiw, I agree with you that the tac rifle class should shoot on the small target.

If it makes you feel better, Jim O thinks F-T/R should use the big target and never have gone to the small one.

Ahhnother8
12-11-2011, 5:26 PM
Another year of long-range shooting is over. There were a few newbies in the beginning of the year who have become regulars out there. Their scores steadily improve and we try to share little tidbits of information from our hard-earned experience each time they come out. The only way to learn though is to actually come out and shoot. Maybe next year, those with the myriad of excuses of why not to come out will actually make it out there to the 1,000 yard line...

Next years goal: More donuts in the pits!!

Pthfndr
12-11-2011, 5:57 PM
Next years goal: More donuts in the pits!!

Dang it! I knew I forgot something. I'll bet if I had told my vintage rifle people they had to bring donuts to their first HP event we would have had plenty.

killshot44
12-11-2011, 5:58 PM
I shot a total of eleven Match Days on Range 12 in 2011 - made more mistakes yet still raised my rank a level.
Hope to shoot more matches next year, make fewer mistakes and make Master or possibly High Master if I'm fortunate.
Definitely had fun, made new friends and learned a LOT.

(and congrats once again to Ahnother8 for representing the USA at the World Championships this fall in Australia......attaboy!)

nimoZ
12-11-2011, 7:51 PM
Brought Doughnuts - Check
Improved - Check (added 34 points from May till today)
Listen and Learn about shooting and reloading - Check
See awesome equipment and shooters - Check
Make new Friends - Check
Bring old Friend - Check
Try to beat your new and old friends - Check (note to self: Try harder next year)
See Another8 point down range from the 800y line and say: "12 has the wrong target", then needing to look twice through my scope to see what he just saw with his eyes - Check

I made my first 8 matches this year, counting the two this weekend and will definitely be back next year :)

sacto929
12-11-2011, 8:06 PM
Dang it! I knew I forgot something. I'll bet if I had told my vintage rifle people they had to bring donuts to their first HP event we would have had plenty.

Darn it, Rob, you should have reminded us....:oji:

Any idea what the scoring would have looked like had us vintage iron guys been split out from the vintage open guys?

Pthfndr
12-11-2011, 8:11 PM
Darn it, Rob, you should have reminded us....:oji:

Any idea what the scoring would have looked like had us vintage iron guys been split out from the vintage open guys?

I think there were only 3 of us not shooting regular iron sights. I'll double check when Jim emails out the results. But if that was the case Paul W would have been first with a 351.

mattt
12-12-2011, 5:16 PM
Could someone post the match results from sat and sun so I could make a copy.Thanks

phish
12-17-2011, 11:52 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6527144159_6399eba006_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6527144209_1a019a6aaa_b.jpg

Savage rifles taking F/TR both days, with an AR10 type nipping at the heels, oh the horror :p

mattt
12-17-2011, 5:44 PM
Only AR at the heals was Nick R with my w/o upper shooting 223.Was thinking he was going to beat me with my own rifle:eek: He went out and bought a new Savage 12f/tr 308 last week and will be in the f/tr mix every match. The comp level for f/tr is getting better all the time and we shoot the f/class targets with our scoped 223,308 not the palma targets .

BRANDON7766
12-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I wrote this to one of the ncpprc members...maybe you all can chime in. Regarding my first rifle to learn with.

I wanted to pick your brain on rifles...I went to the match we talked about. I'll definitely do a custom gun at some point but for now I want to put my money into good glass, hopefully a night force mil specmor a premeir light...if all else failsna vortex pst.

What do you think of this ?

http://grabagun.com/long-guns/ar/sav-10fcp-308win-24-bl-mcmln-at.html

Seems like all it would need is a scope rail.

This one is pricier and now I'm getting into custom gun price range

http://grabagun.com/long-guns/ar/fn-spr-a5m-308win-24-hb-fltd-blk.html

There is also the AI AE models but not sure if I care for the stock...the A5 I got behind felt great.

I'm leaning towards that savage and I'm a Remington 700 guy but seems like that might be better than a 5r?

Thanks.

nimoZ
12-18-2011, 2:18 PM
I would add three comments:
-The Savages that won Sat/Sun events most likely had 30" barrels.
While a 24" .308 barrel can make enough speed for 1,000y, a 30" will be faster and fight the wind better.
For F-Class, longer is better. For hunting or other types of events it's probably too much.
My barrel is a medium contour 26" and I have barrel envy ;)

- You need to reload. Regardless of gun, factory ammo will not get the best results from your gun. Some may shoot well at shorter distances, but I don't think you would get enough speed for 1ky.

- There are many selections that will get you started and overtime you will learn other things you may want to change.
I would spend less up front, but if you are sure that F-class is what you want - then I would look at the factory Savage Target series, as mentioned in the post above.

Good luck with your selection and hope you make it out to the January event!

I wrote this to one of the ncpprc members...maybe you all can chime in. Regarding my first rifle to learn with.

I wanted to pick your brain on rifles...I went to the match we talked about. I'll definitely do a custom gun at some point but for now I want to put my money into good glass, hopefully a night force mil specmor a premeir light...if all else failsna vortex pst.

What do you think of this ?

http://grabagun.com/long-guns/ar/sav-10fcp-308win-24-bl-mcmln-at.html

Seems like all it would need is a scope rail.

This one is pricier and now I'm getting into custom gun price range

http://grabagun.com/long-guns/ar/fn-spr-a5m-308win-24-hb-fltd-blk.html

There is also the AI AE models but not sure if I care for the stock...the A5 I got behind felt great.

I'm leaning towards that savage and I'm a Remington 700 guy but seems like that might be better than a 5r?

Thanks.

mattt
12-18-2011, 2:59 PM
If you are looking for a rifle for NCPPRC it will be a different rifle then a f class rifle. Tactical rifles use mags and shorter barrels and arent as accurate as f/class and even 223 and 308 f/tr rifles.