PDA

View Full Version : Another "next rifle" thread

pyro3k2
12-03-2011, 6:52 PM
Here's my situation guys, I'm trying to consolidate caliburs. I've sold off most of my odd ball cal's and decided I was going to get a new rifle. I dropped down my AR collection to just one and the same with my AK's. I returned both back to there "old school" set ups and want to leave them that way. This new rifle I want is going to be the tacticool mall ninja one, and my "go to" rifle. The most important thing is that I don't want this to be either an AR or an AK and with the flood of quality rifles out there in either of the two caliburs I'm pretty much lost in the sauce. Help me please.

And for those of you who hate reading:
1. Can't be an AR or an AK variant
2. Needs to be in 5.56 or 7.62
3. need to be mall ninja ready.

Standard
12-03-2011, 6:56 PM
XCR.
1) Not either, but the best of both.
2) Available in both, and can be converted to either easily.
3) Yup
http://gunreviewpodcast.com/gunreview/uploads/XCR-w-68-SPC-conversion.jpg

mrvash
12-03-2011, 7:07 PM
ACR or SCAR, they're mall ninja out of the box ;)

pyro3k2
12-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Ive held an ACR and was not impressed, the SCAR's and XCR's were very nice but didn't really make me feel the need to own one. Anything else out on the table worth owning?

Reductio
12-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Just going after the easy ones:

MSAR AUG.
SIG556.

nrakid88
12-04-2011, 1:08 AM
M1A

FAL

G3

SideWinder11
12-04-2011, 1:28 AM
Tapco'd out SKS

Colt-45
12-04-2011, 2:28 AM
This might be what you're looking for:

Sig SWAT 556. Totally underrated.

http://www.shooting-proshop.com/gallery/images/sig-rifles/sig556/556SWAT/556-SWAT-w-diopter.jpg

They look even better once they're tacticooled.

straykiller
12-04-2011, 2:50 AM
msar e4 i love mine. here a pic i found on the interweb

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WEVO%20II/STCK0349-1024-Stick.jpg

MrPlink
12-04-2011, 4:14 AM
buy a used SL8 for stupid money, then spend even more stupid money converting it to a G36.

7.62 what btw?

dwtt
12-04-2011, 5:15 AM
XCR.
1) Not either, but the best of both.
2) Available in both, and can be converted to either easily.
3) Yup

I have a feeling the XCR will forever be a niche gun and be coveted by collectors only. How often do you see XCRs at the range?

The OP can also go with a Kel-tec RFB, which is another less common rifle.

GOPOSTALMAIL
12-04-2011, 9:29 AM
XCR-M or any of these
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/GOPOSTALMAIL/IMG_0054.jpg

m03
12-04-2011, 10:03 AM
This might be what you're looking for:

Sig SWAT 556. Totally underrated.

They look even better once they're tacticooled.

Assuming this is based on the Classic, you can order the Swiss 551 stock for it right now for $160.

I have a feeling the XCR will forever be a niche gun and be coveted by collectors only. How often do you see XCRs at the range?

Exactly the reason why he should consider getting one :)

Patriot Man
12-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Just recently shot an M1A iron site, kneeling hitting a 12 x 8 steel , 90% Accuracy at 220 yards. Have shot this gun before but forgot how rediculously nice it was. Not mall ninja or the cal you want, but pretty awesome. Otherwise get an AUG like in the pics above. Just my 2 cents

Standard
12-04-2011, 11:49 AM

The OP can also go with a Kel-tec RFB, which is another less common rifle.

I've had an XCR and it was an excellent gun. I don't really care what I see at the range, but it fit the OPs criteria.

Colt-45
12-04-2011, 6:40 PM
Just recently shot an M1A iron site, kneeling hitting a 12 x 8 steel , 90% Accuracy at 220 yards. Have shot this gun before but forgot how rediculously nice it was. Not mall ninja or the cal you want, but pretty awesome. Otherwise get an AUG like in the pics above. Just my 2 cents

It can be, just add more stuff to this:

http://ghostcustomworks.com/images/S007M.jpg

I want one in my collection, with a sage stock.

nickyrr
12-04-2011, 6:52 PM
pS 90 or M1A..

MrPlink
12-04-2011, 7:00 PM
pS 90

that gun is really lost on the civilian market, and further flushed down the tubes by the CA AWB.

- no fun switch (given the cost of the ammo for it, I guess I could live without it)
- cant get the "correct" ammo for it
- cant SBR it in CA (in addition to just having to make the whole thing even bigger than it is stock)
- cant get/use 50rd mags for it (save you "pre-ban" owners with feautreless or RAW models)

So what are you left with? A rifle that cost more than your average AR, is no smaller than your standard AR, and it shoots a weaker round that is more expensive than what you get in your standard AR!

So while we are on the topic of FN bullys, howbout this badboy?
http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/milm/FNM0138mb.png

pyro3k2
12-04-2011, 11:07 PM
that gun is really lost on the civilian market, and further flushed down the tubes by the CA AWB.

- no fun switch (given the cost of the ammo for it, I guess I could live without it)
- cant SBR it in CA (in addition to just having to make the whole thing even bigger than it is stock)
- cant get/use 50rd mags for it (save you "pre-ban" owners with feautreless or RAW models)

So what are you left with? A rifle that cost more than your average AR, is no smaller than your standard AR, and it shoots a weaker round that is more expensive than what you get in your standard AR!

So while we are on the topic of FN bullys, howbout this badboy?
http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/milm/FNM0138mb.png

daddy likes

SgtJT27
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
If the reason you want to stay out of the ar or ak variants is because of the ergonomics or the feel of it then try a bullpup like MSAR, Fs2000 or RFB.
If not then the XCR, ACR, SIG, FAL, PTR or SCAR

Colt-45
12-04-2011, 11:32 PM

Couldn't agree with you more on the PS90. Unless you can SBR one, no advantage to an AR what so ever.

The FS200 is a good suggestion I was about to add that.

fmunk
12-09-2011, 9:59 AM

What the hell does popularity at the range have to do with the merits of a platform?!

XCR is a niche now because most people don't know or don't understand them. Most don't even know it can be made CA-compliant easily. And most don't consider it because they can get a garden variety AR for much less, without considering what a XCR offers over any AR. There are also tons of people out there who feel a $390 WASR is just fine and wouldn't consider spending any more than that on any gun.

None of these factors have anything to do with the strengths of the XCR's design. Period!

fmunk
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
FYI, there are a few shops (not in CA) selling overrun OD FS2000s at a lower price than what they normally go for. I'm doing some research myself to see if it's something I might want to get.