PDA

View Full Version : Mosin m38 removing rear sight

Jimmy Deuce
03-01-2007, 7:08 PM
I have tried a punch and hammer havent really got any where any advice or ticks I should know?

five.five-six
03-01-2007, 7:25 PM
soak soak soak, tap tap tap, soak soak soak tap tap tap repeat :)

guimus
03-01-2007, 7:34 PM
yeah, penetrating oil is your friend

Charliegone
03-01-2007, 8:06 PM
I have tried a punch and hammer havent really got any where any advice or ticks I should know?

Really its that hard? Mine came out super easy. Maybe its because I used CLP thoroughly.

M. Sage
03-01-2007, 8:08 PM
Are you taking the base off, or just the sight? Be careful, that spring under the sight is VERY stiff (at least, it is on the 91/30.)

Jimmy Deuce
03-02-2007, 7:51 AM
What about using a hack saw replacement sights are cheap enough?

Charliegone
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah...are you taking the pin that pivots the sight? Or the one to the back (IOW the one closer to the action?) That one should be very easy...the back one well...thats another story. If you are trying to install one of those scope mounts its just that pin that you gotta take out. The mount I bought only requires that front pin and the leaf to be removed. Then it is adjusted with allen screws and wrench. I would not use a hacksaw. If you can't punch it out from one side, try the other.

Jimmy Deuce
03-02-2007, 3:57 PM
Yes I am trying to install one of those scope mounts . Yes it is the pin closest to the dangerous end of the barrel. I will attempt to use clp or penetrating oil but if it doesnt work I may have no other coice buto hack saw it down the middle. Don't want to but might have to.