PDA

View Full Version : survival school

cptorrez
12-03-2011, 6:37 PM
Just wondering what you guys think of this place:

www.californiasurvivaltraining.com

I was thinking it might be a cool thing to do, maybe brush up on some skills and learn a little hands on

thenodnarb
12-03-2011, 8:06 PM
Just wondering what you guys think of this place:

www.californiasurvivaltraining.com

I was thinking it might be a cool thing to do, maybe brush up on some skills and learn a little hands on

At first I thought you were going to link to this: http://shtfschool.com/

But back to your topic... the one and two day courses look reasonable. I don't think i'd shell out for the 7 day course though. I think a friend of mine is on one of these courses right now. She said she was taking a survival course in tehachapi. When She gets back i'll ask her if this was the course and how she liked it. She said that she was doing plant identification and uses when I spoke to her.

cptorrez
12-03-2011, 9:57 PM
Ya I was thinking of the two day.

Tripper
12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Check this one out
it supports hunting, and would be a really good parent/child class

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/advanced/index.aspx

but it seems if it doesnt get participation it gets cancelled
get registered for the next one, so it doesnt get cancelled

cptorrez
12-03-2011, 10:34 PM
That dfg class seems interesting. What is the cost, and where is it held?

Tripper
12-03-2011, 11:31 PM
they'll schedule next years in the next month or so hopefully, i think like 50 bucks, but dont quote me on it. keep an eye on it, and sign up, so it doesnt get cancelled due to lack of participation.
if you have kids or new hunters, the advanced hunter clinics are great.

tozan
12-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Those look like good classes and a good starting point for further learning and maybe even as an alternative you might be interested in a group I have done weekends with. Check out Paleo Planet (http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/)they have a lot of very well trained people on there and they love to share their collective knowledge with new people.

In some of the sub groups they have members who have written a lot of books and are considered experts in their fields.

cptorrez
12-04-2011, 4:46 PM
They all seem like good choices, I like that paleo planet site. I think ill take the ca survival class for two days. I also think it would be cool to grab a couple of buddies and just go out to the forest with minimal gear and "survive"

tozan
12-05-2011, 1:45 AM
They all seem like good choices, I like that paleo planet site. I think ill take the ca survival class for two days. I also think it would be cool to grab a couple of buddies and just go out to the forest with minimal gear and "survive"

I like doing Fri evening to Sun afternoon trips the rules are simple everything you take must fit into a fanny pack and you can not carry anything in your hands. For the most part it amounts to carry food or sleeping gear.

cptorrez
12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
That sounds fun

RobGR
12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
I think a friend of mine is on one of these courses right now. She said she was taking a survival course in tehachapi. When She gets back i'll ask her if this was the course and how she liked it. She said that she was doing plant identification and uses when I spoke to her.

thenodnarb, did she do the course and which school did she attend?

Anyone have any additional comments or recommendations for a two survival course in Socal/San Diego?

Been meaning to do something like this with the wife, so a recommendation for a couples course would be great.

tacksman
12-27-2011, 7:11 AM
Just take all your SHTF gear into the backwoods(not a KOA) and stay for a few days and nights. This is a sure fire way to see what you REALLY need and what you THOUGHT you needed.

I've done this many times with my backpacking gear.

RobGR
12-28-2011, 8:30 PM
I get your point, tacksman, but I would like to learn more beyond my basic hiking & camping skills from someone with more experience. There are definitely survival skills that one can learn beyond the whole SHTF scenario. The SHTF stuffs does not intrigue me, more about living off the land with nothing. But I have never approached my hiking or camping with that mindset, mine has always been to be prepared and equipped. A good class could teach a person skills that might take years to acquire.