PDA

View Full Version : I'll never go back to Turners !!!!!! UPDATED

MARLANDO
12-03-2011, 1:53 PM
So this morning I met up with a fellow calguner to do a Private Transfer at the Rancho location, We met their at exactly at 10AM when they open so we can go about our day, As we walked in with the AR that we want to transfer , The Asst Mngr, Mark greeted us by saying if we are going to do a transfer that their system takes a long time over an hour and a half and we should go to Ammo bros! WTF !!!

We said we will wait there as we are there already no need to go to Ammo Bros.
Mark with a bad attitude walked us back to the gun counter while he was holding the gun case with the gun in it. He asked for our ID's on off you goes to the back to do the paper work, after some time he comes out with some paper work, he started to have me sign the papers for the transfer, I this point I realize he made a mistake buy switching the names around, after I let him know what the problem was, Mark with a VERY bad attitude started to throw a fit and gave me back my Gun I told us to leave, WTF!! Go to ammo bros cause our system here sucks for transfers and its down !!!

At this point I was Pissed along with my buddy. It wasn't for my kids that where with me, I would have went off, I explain to Mark every since we walked in you treated us that we where in your way, again he asked us to leave and go to Ammo Bros for our transfer.....

After telling him that I 'm a loyal customer and do alot of business with Turners, he said leave, go to Ammo Bros for your business, WTF !!

Oh Well, I guess my future business will be with Ammo Bros and all of my buddies will too...

What a shame this was, all my years buying and selling guns, I never'd got treated like this at any gun store,

I guess all the Stuff is True about Turners, BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!

Nelsona
12-03-2011, 2:08 PM
Wow WTF man. Turners Pasadena always treated me nice with PPT and great customer service. Turners Reseda on the other hand is not good.

Ed_Hazard
12-03-2011, 2:09 PM
Yeah, I dont Why is it that this seems to be a recuring theme w/Turners. It seems almost as soon as they realize your doing a PPT, it's like you just starngled a kitten in the store.

I have done some PPT's at several Turners store and it's allways a pain. I dont mind the long wait, I'm ready for that. I dont mind the occasional paperwork snafu's, hey it happens. What I do mind and find is the atitude that seems to be a badge of honor amongst all the Turner's stores employees for their clear disdain in haveing to do a PPT.

The grumbling, eyeroling and sometimes clear rudeness of the employees is too much to bear. That is why whenever it is in my control, I prefer to do PPT's at Ammo bros. They are always if not suoer courtious, at the minimum Professional about the manner in which they handle themselves and the transaction.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a Turner's basher by any stretch of the immagination. I have bought MANY guns and supplies from Turners over the years and will continue to do so. I just find it dishearting when these complaints come up as often as they do and all I can do is shake my head and agree w/the OP.

Hopefully the right people will implement some better training, not just in doing PPT's, but basic customer service. Just my 2 cents on the subject. Ed

Ed_Hazard
12-03-2011, 2:13 PM
Wow WTF man. Turners Pasadena always treated me nice with PPT and great customer service. Turners Reseda on the other hand is not good.

See thats the point. I can walk into the Norwalk store and allways expect and receive top shelf service. I attribute this to the long time I have been shopping at this location as well as all the fine staff that work their.

However go to FV, or the old Redondo store and suddenly your a pariah for wanting to do a PPT. It comes down to a basic breakdown in service. Go to either Ammo Bros. stores to do a PPT as a firt timer and you'll get profesional service.

Akers
12-03-2011, 2:22 PM
Never seen a Turner's I liked. I went into the Kearny Mesa store on Friday around 1030am to buy my wife her Stainless 10/22 for Christmas. I took a number and an 45 mins later It went from 12 to 13. I was #17. I spent the hour looking around at the over priced Magpul gear and the single brand of holsters they carry...oh and listening to an employee bit$# about how he has pneumonia for a week. I honestly just don't get it....I have bought guns there but only because of the price. The service is crumby and the staff are not knowledgeable about what they are selling.

I need to stick with what I told myself a long time ago, even if you spend a little more its better to give your money to good people like Faith Armory, Parallax or so on.

freonr22
12-03-2011, 2:22 PM
report them to the doj for refusing to do ppt

dkindrumr
12-03-2011, 2:29 PM
That and they actually have more docs to complicate the challenging ppt process. Riflegear is by far the Best FFL I have ever dealt with and I will always steer others toward them.
I turn down alot of potential PPT offers if the other party insists on another FFL.

StratORcaster
12-03-2011, 3:13 PM
Mark had a rotten attitude from the beginning. I asked him if I needed to fill out forms and he said no assuming I was the seller. I'm done. I now regret bringing my neighbor there last month to buy 2 guns while I bought my hd. We didnt even get a chance to tell him that the seller was gonna buy a shotty. See tou at ammo bros in the morning Mando. Unbelievable.

bill_k_lopez
12-03-2011, 3:20 PM
Did a handgun transfer at Signal Hill about a month ago, fact of the matter is there was LESS paper work than what I had to do for a handgun transfer at Ammo Brothers.

I'm not a big fan of Turner's, but my experience with them was pleasant and I would do a transfer there again if it was convenient for the buyer.

---

As far as being told go do the PPT somewhere else? I mean, how many times did he tell you to go somewhere else - sounds like multiple in your post. It would only take 1 time for me to leave - you must have really wanted to give them your money if you insisted on staying.

ke6guj
12-03-2011, 3:33 PM
It would only take 1 time for me to leave - you must have really wanted to give them your money if you insisted on staying.actually, the more they want to get me to leave, the more I want to stay to make THEM do the PPT. yes, it is a pain in the A for the FFL to have to do the PPT, but they are required to do so as part of being a dealer in CA. If half of the dealers in CA can be dicks and chase off PPTs to guys like who will process a PPT courtously, then those nice guys are going to end up having to take on all of the PPT burden in the state. F that.

freonr22
12-03-2011, 3:36 PM
^that was exactly my point Jack!

S.A.
12-03-2011, 6:17 PM
I've done a couple ppt's at Ammo bros, both were long, second one was real long with some eye rolling on their part. They are not the fastest, IMHO.

Yugo
12-03-2011, 6:22 PM
I did a PPT at ammo and it took about 26min. As far as the Reseda store Randy is the only guy that has great customer service. Sorry to hear about your troubles live and learn I guess and +1 for a DOJ report.

kauaibuilt
12-03-2011, 6:39 PM
Did a PPT last week at the Kearney Mesa store. Manager (I think she was the manger) was actually cool about it and it did take a LONG time but we got it done.

One of the workers was cool. Had a customer that was taking a while checking out a gun so asked if there was anyone looking for ammo that would just need a quick hand - cool move I thought.

SoCal Choppas
12-03-2011, 6:46 PM
If you're in Rancho area, take it to the Magnum Range..they do ppt or OC shooting range...I had great service with a smile from both places doing ppt.

intheknow
12-03-2011, 6:50 PM
Turners has always done well with ppt's.... you sure hes not JUST doing his job and you are mistaking his attitude because you are use to the "restaurant" type customer service? you know.... it IS a gun/fishing store after all....

MARLANDO
12-03-2011, 7:03 PM
Turners has always done well with ppt's.... you sure hes not JUST doing his job and you are mistaking his attitude because you are use to the "restaurant" type customer service? you know.... it IS a gun/fishing store after all....

Restaurant service ? Funny.

Press Check
12-03-2011, 7:12 PM
Wow, man. Just wow. I thought the Reseda location was bad, but that just takes the cake.

dctex99
12-03-2011, 8:45 PM
Restaurant service ? Funny.

Maybe HE tips the guys at his Turners...........:confused::confused:

Sleighter
12-03-2011, 9:08 PM
I hate how stores act put out when asked to do this stuff. Like WE WANT TO DO IT EITHER! I've lived in a free state that allows cash and carry and it was GREAT. I mentioned it to a store (unnamed) and they were upset and asked how I felt responsible without going through a professional business, but then when I asked if they would do a ppt, got the eyerolling from the counter guy. This whole thing is a mess.

Steve1968LS2
12-03-2011, 9:27 PM
Funny.. I just did a PPT at the Kerney Mesa location and it went as smooth as butter..

We took a number, and when it was our turn they took care of us.

No problems in Orange either.. or Norwalk.. or Azusa.. No experience at Reseda, maybe they get sent the rejects.

Have run across the occasional stupid/jerkish sales guy.. but most are GTG.

Target19
12-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Sounds like someone needs a new job right.
You should never have been treated that way especially at Rancho...isnt that where their headquarters are???

h0use
12-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Wow that sucks man! I am sure turners will read this and hopefully contact you and try to win you back! I have been doing business with the san Marcos store for sometime and so far they have been great.

FTW9999
12-04-2011, 12:15 AM
My guess is the sales guys don't either get a comission or credit for a sale on PTT so they don't want to do them but that's just a guess...

StratORcaster
12-04-2011, 10:09 AM
My guess is the sales guys don't either get a commission or credit for a sale on PTT so they don't want to do them but that's just a guess...

Fair guess, although this involved the assistant store manager(leader)! As for restaurant service, I would liken it to a server taking a take out order, where one may not expect a tip or as large a tip.
Sure, this may have been a "to go" order or PPT, but we both spend thousands of dollars per yr. there on ammo, fishing gear, guns and such.
This was a classic customer service FAIL!! Sighing, frowning, head shaking and ultimately refusing to perform the transaction. Finally, recommending Ammo brothers both at the beginning and end of the failed transaction??
Awfully short sighted and NOT an isolated incident apparently. I only today discovered why another hunting buddy won't deal with Turners. This is not a good survival tactic with our current economy.:leaving:

jonc
12-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Just don't like PPT'.....

Clownpuncher
12-04-2011, 11:04 AM
If I had to guess it is probably 1 of 2 things.

1: They work off commission and PPT's mean no money. Now, since most stores are good about it, this probably isn't the case.

2: Probably the more likely scenario, he is one of these guys who shows up at the last minute to work and is pissed that he actually has to start working at 10 when his shift starts. How dare someone come in and expect something of him right when his shift starts. He probably needs time to get settled and wake up. Come back at 11 when he's ready. :rolleyes:

Press Check
12-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Turners is about 10 minutes from me, and EBR Works is 20 minutes from me in the opposite direction, and I always go to EBR Works for PPT's. I've never purchased a firearm from Turners, and don't intend to.

robcoe
12-04-2011, 1:09 PM
So this morning I met up with a fellow calguner to do a Private Transfer at the Rancho location, We met their at exactly at 10AM when they open so we can go about our day, As we walked in with the AR that we want to transfer , The Asst Mngr, Mark greeted us by saying if we are going to do a transfer that their system takes a long time over an hour and a half and we should go to Ammo bros! WTF !!!

We said we will wait there as we are there already no need to go to Ammo Bros.
Mark with a bad attitude walked us back to the gun counter while he was holding the gun case with the gun in it. He asked for our ID's on off you goes to the back to do the paper work, after some time he comes out with some paper work, he started to have me sign the papers for the transfer, I this point I realize he made a mistake buy switching the names around, after I let him know what the problem was, Mark with a VERY bad attitude started to throw a fit and gave me back my Gun I told us to leave, WTF!! Go to ammo bros cause our system here sucks for transfers and its down !!!

At this point I was Pissed along with my buddy. It wasn't for my kids that where with me, I would have went off, I explain to Mark every since we walked in you treated us that we where in your way, again he asked us to leave and go to Ammo Bros for our transfer.....

After telling him that I 'm a loyal customer and do alot of business with Turners, he said leave, go to Ammo Bros for your business, WTF !!

Oh Well, I guess my future business will be with Ammo Bros and all of my buddies will too...

What a shame this was, all my years buying and selling guns, I never'd got treated like this at any gun store,

I guess all the Stuff is True about Turners, BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!

Experiences like this are why I only go to the Signal Hill Turners, I have always gotten great service there.

Ricky-Ray
12-04-2011, 5:23 PM
Turners Pasadena always treated me nice with PPT and great customer service.

+1 for Turner's Pasadena.

jpigeon
12-04-2011, 6:42 PM
They got some bad seeds employed there sometimes. I usually get good service at turners but since I am there frequently I do run into bad customer skills. The last time I did a PPT at the Orange store the manager had an attitude and told us to leave after we did the paperwork and started counting money. He said it was Turners policy to handle money outside. Which is BS cuz I have exchanged money at Turners plenty of times. A guy paid me in 2's and 1's at ammo bros with no complaint from the staff while we stood there for about 20 minutes or so counting out to $350. Grow a thick hide and let it go...

Malmon
12-04-2011, 9:11 PM
I have done several PPT's at Turners and all of them takes more than an hour wait, EXCEPT one, David at the Corona store made it quick and easy.
In general, I do not set foot at a Turner's store unless they have something on sale that I like. Customer service is definitely not their strong point.

huntercf
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience, I shop at the Turner's in Rancho quite often and they have always been friendly and courteous to me. I do know they are waiting for their new computer system to come in as the old one was made by a manufacturer that is no longer in business so it is really slow.

robz@turners
12-05-2011, 8:41 AM
PPTs are a pain for everyone but it is no reason for an employee not to still have a good attitutude and provide good customer service.

Sure we are waiting for a new computer system which will speed up the process, but you the customer are having to deal with the wait moreso than the employee.

We do not tolerate poor service as a company and I will be at the Rancho store today. If any of you ever have any questions please feel free to e-mail or PM me.

Thanks

Japsican
12-05-2011, 8:45 AM
I've done PPT's at Turners Pasadena, Orange, and Chino Hills. All were pretty painless with good customer service. As mentioned before, there can be some bad seeds, but that goes for every company.

MARLANDO
12-05-2011, 9:13 AM
Well Went to Ammo Bros (Ontario) Sunday mid-day, lots of traffic going on, walked up to the cashier and asked up what will be the wait time (as the store was very busy) The young lady said we can start in now, and with a smile!
Less than 45mins we where out, Great Customer Service!!!

Going back there next week to start my DROS on a 870 tactical.....;)

intheknow
12-05-2011, 9:28 AM
Maybe HE tips the guys at his Turners...........:confused::confused:

im saying you expect him to be all Jolly up the a** in the AM... dudes not a morning person? or someone passed away in his family? girlfriend dumped him? he sent you to ammo bros kus he just about had enough of people *****ing at him? boss went and cut his hours... i can go on forever....

MARLANDO
12-05-2011, 9:53 AM
im saying you expect him to be all Jolly up the a** in the AM... dudes not a morning person? or someone past away in his family? girlfriend dumped him? he sent you to ammo bros kus he just about had enough of people *****ing at him? boss went and cut his hours... i can go on forever....

When your dealing with an Asst. manager you should expect more than just a reg. employee, No excuses !

Mark at the Rancho store was just childish they way he handle it.
I own my own company with 35 employees, We all treat customers, big or small with respect, and if one ever treated a customer like Mark did, that employee will be terminated !
At this day and age, Customer service is KEY to be successful :oji:

Call me Old School, I Guess....

Mister.E
12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
im saying you expect him to be all Jolly up the a** in the AM... dudes not a morning person? or someone passed away in his family? girlfriend dumped him? he sent you to ammo bros kus he just about had enough of people *****ing at him? boss went and cut his hours... i can go on forever....

If an employee can't act in a professional manner, despite something that may be going on in his personal life, he shouldn't be in customer service.

If you're having a bad day put on your big boy pants and do business, or stay home, because it sounds like Turners lost a couple customers.

a90cal
12-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Must be his BFF!

URBAN COMMANDO
12-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Turners is the WORST for PPT that is why I am no longer a customer ! I will gladly do it at Ammo Bros or Ridlegear I refuse to give Turners any more of my $$$

intheknow
12-05-2011, 11:00 AM
If an employee can't act in a professional manner, despite something that may be going on in his personal life, he shouldn't be in customer service.

If you're having a bad day put on your big boy pants and do business, or stay home, because it sounds like Turners lost a couple customers.

then it would be safe to say that because we have humans running our stores, that there will ALWAYS be bad customer service one way or another and therefore will always have a bad rep with that one customer making a complaint regardless of other factors that can and WILL occur.

MARLANDO
12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
then it would be safe to say that because we have humans running our stores, that there will ALWAYS be bad customer service one way or another and therefore will always have a bad rep with that one customer making a complaint regardless of other factors that can and WILL occur.

We have choices as consumers where we take our business, Turners is becoming the "Big5" of customer service, Ammo Bros and RifleGear, and those type of places are the "Mercedes" of Firearm stores.

I'm sure these places have "humans" also that work there....

freonr22
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
PPTs are a pain for everyone but it is no reason for an employee not to still have a good attitutude and provide good customer service.

Sure we are waiting for a new computer system which will speed up the process, but you the customer are having to deal with the wait moreso than the employee.

We do not tolerate poor service as a company and I will be at the Rancho store today. If any of you ever have any questions please feel free to e-mail or PM me.

Thanks

Thanks for the response Rob

Mister.E
12-05-2011, 11:19 AM

I've had both good and bad service from Turners. Good enough to keep me there and not bad enough to run me away. I can take that not everyone is filled with sunshine and rainbows, but if an employee of any store flat out told me to leave I wouldn't come back either. I'm also certain this isn't the reputation Turners wants to have. They've made noticeable improvements that I've seen at my local store, and its much appreciated.

Steve1968LS2
12-05-2011, 9:24 PM
They got some bad seeds employed there sometimes. I usually get good service at turners but since I am there frequently I do run into bad customer skills. The last time I did a PPT at the Orange store the manager had an attitude and told us to leave after we did the paperwork and started counting money. He said it was Turners policy to handle money outside. Which is BS cuz I have exchanged money at Turners plenty of times. A guy paid me in 2's and 1's at ammo bros with no complaint from the staff while we stood there for about 20 minutes or so counting out to $350. Grow a thick hide and let it go...

I always do the money outside the store.. any store.. it's only polite not to conduct YOUR business in THEIR business..

Some FFLs may not care, just something I do.

dshortone
12-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I would go to Turner's before I'd go to Ammo Bros, Gunrunners, Gunslingers, Shooters-Edge, Evans Gunsmithing Shooters World or Aegis. First three have way too much attitude, and the last three have a VERY poor understanding of legal requirements for a PPT/general firearms sales. Shooters-Edge was the longest PPT I've ever had: over 1.5 hours for a single rifle.

stitchnicklas
12-05-2011, 10:41 PM
well i know that if i was at the rancho store and had something like this happen..
i would just walk next door to their corporate office building and ask for bill the head guy and have a talk about what happened.

just saying...

sugar vs. salt

GUNS!!!!
12-06-2011, 3:32 PM
I've done 3 PPT's recently. 2 at Turners in West Covina and 1 at Ammo Bro's in Cerritos. and everything has been great at both places. It was a bit longer of a wait at Ammo Bros as I had to take a number, but it gave me some time to walk around and browse the isles...

One of the PPT's at Turners was done on my 1 hour lunch break and only took about 25mins. The other took about 45mins as it was a trade/PPT. I've never expierenced bad service at the West Covina Turners, I did however receive the wrong info on inventory once which was very upsetting as the person actually told me he just needed to make a sale... but the price quote was just a simple error. Seemed like he just really wanted to get me the store.

Uxi
12-06-2011, 6:58 PM
I did my very first handgun by PPT at the Orange store. Good experience. I see them doing them all the time at the West Covina and seems pleasant enough. Been buying new the last few times, though thinking of going used again and Turners is definitely on my list (though always had good experiences at Ammo Bros, too).

stormy_clothing
12-07-2011, 4:05 PM
before coming here to look for a ***** fest group hug call there corporate line, it works most of the time and if it doesnt return here.

by the way this post is the most ironic one I have read all week - good call getting upset about the time it took for the clerk to get upset about the time it took.

dpuder
12-08-2011, 12:51 AM
I hand a wonderful exp at Rifle gear bought HK USP 45 the guys before me were doing PPT and were done in what seemed like less than 30 miin

nbirnbaum2
12-08-2011, 7:35 AM
Never seen a Turner's I liked. I went into the Kearny Mesa store on Friday around 1030am to buy my wife her Stainless 10/22 for Christmas. I took a number and an 45 mins later It went from 12 to 13. I was #17. I spent the hour looking around at the over priced Magpul gear and the single brand of holsters they carry...oh and listening to an employee bit$# about how he has pneumonia for a week. I honestly just don't get it....I have bought guns there but only because of the price. The service is crumby and the staff are not knowledgeable about what they are selling.

I need to stick with what I told myself a long time ago, even if you spend a little more its better to give your money to good people like Faith Armory, Parallax or so on.

I love Paralax for black guns, actually found prices to same or better usually they will give a cash discount and well ...nice and 35 dollar PPT best in town, same with glock store pricing down the street. I had some issues at turners in Kearney Mesa but the MGR over rode and helped out did a great job. They seriously need an ammo pickup counter so no waiting on the "gun" guys. Ive found them to have very good customer service.

Uxi
12-08-2011, 8:12 AM
They seriously need an ammo pickup counter so no waiting on the "gun" guys.

Agreed. Separate ammo counter without guns in front of it, though I imagine most of the employees would still get stuck at the gun area. Maybe they could move all the ammo behind the cashier (who would probably have to move from the front of the store)?

10ringshot
12-08-2011, 7:46 PM
I just don't understand the pissy attitude from most gun shops on PPT. You have the state forcing two gun guys into your store to do transfers. Treat them like gold and they will stay and buy things like "I don't know" ammo, gun cases,targets and cleaning supplies and MORE GUNS. These gun stores have a golden goose that nets them a solid stream of traffic through their doors that a million dollars worth of TV and Radio can't get them. I would love for Californians be forced into my shop every month by the state or feds.
As far as Turners I'v gotten a lot of attitude at Orange forcing me to go to Ades. Turners Chino Hills just did a transfer this week with big smiles and friendly service. I will be back next week picking up the firearm and will spend money there. The only thing I can't stand is the $6 tax Turners put on every pistol sale with the stupid extreme enforcement of the cable lock BS.

dshortone
12-08-2011, 8:22 PM
The only thing I can't stand is the $6 tax Turners put on every pistol sale with the stupid extreme enforcement of the cable lock BS.

Did you bring in the OEM lock (if so equipped) or a receipt for the lock that you've purchased in the past 30 days? No "tax"as you call it. Every gun shop does it. They are just following the law.

LBDamned
12-08-2011, 9:00 PM
Did you bring in the OEM lock (if so equipped) or a receipt for the lock that you've purchased in the past 30 days? No "tax"as you call it. Every gun shop does it. They are just following the law.

Every shop doesnt automatically add it to the bill (prior to pick up) without even asking you if you have an approved lock...

The law just states you need a lock that is no older than 30 days... it doesnt say you have to by one with the gun. Turners has a habit of just adding $6 to the bill for a lock... if you dont look over the invoice when you pay, you just bought their lock (I'm pretty sure they count on that).

I'm a Turner's fan - so I'm not bashing... I just with they would ask "do you need a lock?" or "do you have an approved lock?" - prior to charging you for it.

LBDamned
12-08-2011, 9:04 PM
Agreed. Separate ammo counter without guns in front of it, though I imagine most of the employees would still get stuck at the gun area. Maybe they could move all the ammo behind the cashier (who would probably have to move from the front of the store)?

+2!!!

It sux when you stand there for 20-30 minutes while a lookie-loo wants to handle every gun in the case (with no intention to buy)... and you need a few boxes of ammo (it's happened more than once).

I'll never forget standing and waiting while the dude next to me goes on and on about a gun that he openly admitted he can't afford - he knew everything about it and spent 10 minutes fondling it, but had no intentions on buying it... DAMN! If I were in there to "browse" I'd at least tell the guy behind the gun counter to take care of the other customer first...

10ringshot
12-09-2011, 6:58 AM
Did you bring in the OEM lock (if so equipped) or a receipt for the lock that you've purchased in the past 30 days? No "tax"—as you call it. Every gun shop does it. They are just following the law.

I was the buyer and the seller did not bring the OEM lock. My point was the left wing gun haters in Sacramento force the sale of a "Fresh Lock" with every gun sale. I didn't know locks expired after 30 days. You should be able to bring in any gun cable lock and leave with the weapon. Forcing an additional sale that you don't need is a "Tax". I have dozens of these worthless things as I put my guns in a safe.

LBDamned
12-09-2011, 7:04 AM
I was the buyer and the seller did not bring the OEM lock. My point was the left wing gun haters in Sacramento force the sale of a "Fresh Lock" with every gun sale. I didn't know locks expired after 30 days. You should be able to bring in any gun cable lock and leave with the weapon. Forcing an additional sale that you don't need is a "Tax". I have dozens of these worthless things as I put my guns in a safe.

If you have a doj approved safe, you don't need a lock

ke6guj
12-09-2011, 8:01 AM
I was the buyer and the seller did not bring the OEM lock. My point was the left wing gun haters in Sacramento force the sale of a "Fresh Lock" with every gun sale. I didn't know locks expired after 30 days. You should be able to bring in any gun cable lock and leave with the weapon. Forcing an additional sale that you don't need is a "Tax". I have dozens of these worthless things as I put my guns in a safe.its not that they expire. they don't want you just "reusing" one lock for 10-years. you'd end up with 20 pistols but only have one lock. They want you to have a lock for each pistol. Yes, you could buy multiples within a 30-day period (such as PPT purchases), but you probably won't end up with more than 2-3 before the receipt expired and you had to buy a new lock.

If you have a doj approved safe, you don't need a lock

he was buying a pistol. The CADOJ safe affidavit does not satisfy the federal need for a lock to be provided during the sale.

LBDamned
12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
its not that they expire. they don't want you just "reusing" one lock for 10-years. you'd end up with 20 pistols but only have one lock. They want you to have a lock for each pistol. Yes, you could buy multiples within a 30-day period (such as PPT purchases), but you probably won't end up with more than 2-3 before the receipt expired and you had to buy a new lock.

you can buy a lock and return it. I (and many) do it often (somehow I still ended up with a drawer full of locks I dont need)...

he was buying a pistol. The CADOJ safe affidavit does not satisfy the federal need for a lock to be provided during the sale.
from my understanding (and I could be wrong) - that is more of a CYA for FFL than actual law... based on how the law is written... even addressed in a thread you were a part of:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=119219

This is not to say it's not easier to just bring a 30 day or less old lock... but IIRC, there are some FFL that accept safe receipt... again, this is not to say erring on the side of caution is not a better option.

Boris
12-09-2011, 12:34 PM
from my understanding (and I could be wrong) - that is more of a CYA for FFL than actual law... based on how the law is written... even addressed in a thread you were a part of:

Based on the verbiage of the law, a receipt for a safe purchased within the last 30 days would be acceptable by the feds. But my understanding is, and I too could be wrong, that the federal government doesn't recognize the State of Calilfornia Safe Affidavit.

ke6guj
12-09-2011, 1:31 PM
you can buy a lock and return it. I (and many) do it often (somehow I still ended up with a drawer full of locks I dont need)... yes, I know that I can buy a lock and return it. Hell, I've walked into Turner's on day 10 and bought a lock at the front counter, walked to the gun counter, showed them my receipt for the newly purchased lock, picked up my new pistol and stopped at the front counter to return the lock. Total time of possession, about 10-15 minutes.

This is not to say it's not easier to just bring a 30 day or less old lock... but IIRC, there are some FFL that accept safe receipt... again, this is not to say erring on the side of caution is not a better option.yes, there is some ambiguity in the wording of the law, (and with the feds refusing to promulgate the required supporting regulations to explain the law), I don't bemoan that some FFLs like Turners (who are a larger target to ATF/CADOJ than your local mom-and-pop shop) aren't going to play as close to the legal edge as others.

heck, the last pistol I DROSed, I gladly paid the $5 for the lock and then donated it back to the FFL when I picked up the firearm.

LBDamned
12-09-2011, 4:07 PM
^^^ I agree - and I don't blame turners for erring on the side of caution... its not worth the squawk for $5 trinket

Got10/22?
12-09-2011, 5:30 PM
Knock on wood. I had great service (PPT) at the Pasadena Turners and the guy by the name of Marion was professional as can be. I just did another PPT today at the Chino Hills Turners and David (Firearm Manager) was helpful and professional too. Just my two cents

neomentat
12-09-2011, 7:18 PM
turners has gotten better on their customer service with their new system...

mrwilson99
12-17-2011, 9:41 AM
Marion at the pasadena store was great, took care of my pot in less than 45 mins. He stated that the systems were being upgraded, otherwise straight forward and very professional! Rob...please let Marion know he did a great job and was not an ******* like I deal with at many other places!

mrwilson99
12-17-2011, 9:42 AM
Ppt damn autocorrect

Turner's Outdoorsman
12-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Ppt damn autocorrect

Whew...! Thanks for clearing that up; he gets a lot of great customer compliments but we want it to be for PPT's and great customer service and not the other...

razr
12-17-2011, 10:43 AM
in the last few months I have visited 3 different Turners and the attitude towards PPT and overall service has drastically improved. Then again…

d4v0s
12-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Turners in reseda jumped through hoops to get my ppt done the other night. Even let us use the computer to pull up bills online for proof of residency after the fax machine option didn't work out. They stayed 30 mins late and got it handled so we both didn't need to make the long drive out again.

I did however get the "you know carrying your mags loaded with your pistol is illegal"... I simply stated that its not illegal and pointed the clerk to the court case that defines what loaded is. Asked him to read up on it and decide for himself.

I usually stick to my local shops where we all push the envelope and stay up on all laws so we can help one another. It was kind of funny to see real gun shop FUD and how it starts.

Blowsh*tup
12-18-2011, 6:14 PM
ive done a transfer at turners 2 actually at reseda and i thought they where cool! ya it did take a while (about 2 hours) but in there defense i will say it was busy

Munk
12-19-2011, 2:41 AM
I did however get the "you know carrying your mags loaded with your pistol is illegal"...

I still hear them tell this lie to every customer buying or transferring a gun.

MacOtac
12-19-2011, 3:28 AM
Turners drinks the tears of the innocent.... heard that one too!

VCMike
12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I go to the Turners in San Marcos and they are good to work with. I have always had good service there. It seems to depend on the attitude of the Black Shirt Managers and the group they now have in San Marcos are good guys.

I read all the bad and just wanted to chime in some good things about the San Marcos store, I have no experience with their other facilities.

5kvdave
12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
PPT's are always going to take a while. It doesn't matter what gun shop you go to. Also with all these new cal gunners specials many more people are now showing up for the deals. I've been shopping @ Turners for over 20 years & have never seen as many people filling up the stores as of late. Victim of their own success. In Reseda store's defense they also have more gun sale personnel behind the counter. :62:

meangreen46
12-23-2011, 1:30 AM
I would go to Turner's before I'd go to Ammo Bros, Gunrunners, Gunslingers, Shooters-Edge, Evans Gunsmithing Shooters World or Aegis. First three have way too much attitude, and the last three have a VERY poor understanding of legal requirements for a PPT/general firearms sales. Shooters-Edge was the longest PPT I've ever had: over 1.5 hours for a single rifle.

I can understand all of your issues you listed with the exception of Aegis. The guys there are literally one of the most knowledgeable gun stores around when it comes to the procedures and laws. I have done numerous PPTs and have watched them do other PPTs. What did they require that was illegal or incorrect? A PPT is a PPT. There really aren't that many ways the state allows you to do them. :confused:

DannyInSoCal
12-27-2011, 11:07 PM
RifleGear or OC Armory - Never more than 15min to complete the transfer.

Turners is sloooooooooooow. Never less than an hour+ long snooze fest...

protoolsnerd
12-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Let turner's on here know . They are being far more responsive to the community now. Transparency is key in a business like theirs ...that and accountability .

The more they know , the less this will happen if they want to keep doing business.

MARLANDO
12-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Well After being P-off about my last transaction in Rancho, I decided to give Turners a second chance on my business, I was looking to buy a Mossy 500A
for awhile, I emailed Turners for a product search and received a quick
response from Rob, he tracked one down for me and had a few at the Norwalk location, Norwalk called me to inform me that they have some in stock and gave me a great quote to go.

So went over there after work to purchase the 500, as I was leaving, Turners posted the " we pay the sales tax deal " so I called Norwalk if they can honor
this coupon the day before it goes in effect, they had no problem with that.

So I walked in met with Russ, looked at the gun for a few mins, than purchased it with the DROS, I was out of there in 30Mins, WOW !!

So I guess they need to weed out some bad apples within their company..

Thanks Mr. Rob K for your service!

LBDamned
12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Well After being P-off about my last transaction in Rancho, I decided to give Turners a second chance on my business, I was looking to buy a Mossy 500A
for awhile, I emailed Turners for a product search and received a quick
response from Rob, he tracked one down for me and had a few at the Norwalk location, Norwalk called me to inform me that they have some in stock and gave me a great quote to go.

So went over there after work to purchase the 500, as I was leaving, Turners posted the " we pay the sales tax deal " so I called Norwalk if they can honor
this coupon the day before it goes in effect, they had no problem with that.

So I walked in met with Russ, looked at the gun for a few mins, than purchased it with the DROS, I was out of there in 30Mins, WOW !!

So I guess they need to weed out some bad apples within their company..

Thanks Mr. Rob K for your service!

the last part is key imo... I've noticed that some of the less than friendly, high in arrogance people are no longer at the stores I frequent (note, I said "some" - there are still one or two)...

And since them being gone, customer service is soooo much better! I'm positive Turners involvement in this thread has a lot to do with existing employees and store philosophy being so much better - and has a lot to do with the progress too...

Head416
12-30-2011, 12:00 PM
This thread is a great example of what I see from Turners. They have some problems, but they're trying really hard to fix them and make people happy.

rplusplus
12-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Ya Know... looks to me that having Turners (and the other vendors) here on this board makes a pretty good venue for feedback to the owners on just how the employees are performing customer service. In the end both seller and customer wins.