PDA

View Full Version : Mosin m38 pitting

Jimmy Deuce
03-01-2007, 5:42 PM
I recently purchased a mosin m38 and when I removed the wood stock I found piting on the under side of the barrel. Is this common? should i not fire it or be concerned abou the integrity of the barrel??

fal_762x51
03-01-2007, 5:59 PM
It depends on how deep the pitting is, if it is shallow, you're fine. It happens when water gets between the stock and barrel, sitting there. It is common on a lot of milsurps.

Tzvia
03-01-2007, 6:07 PM
Use some 0000 steel wool and oil, or bore cleaner. Remove the active rust and take a look. If the pitting is shallow it is fine. I like to coat the 'below the wood' metal with RIG or carnuba wax to prevent further rust, and remove the action every year to check and recoat.

tankerman
03-01-2007, 7:55 PM
It's not really water between the stock and barrel, these guns were inundated with moisture. Surplus rifles are packed away in musty damp warehouses for decades man stocks get saturated with moisture, this is a testament to the quality of cosmoline. When the guns put away for storage the stocks were not always removed before the cosmo was added, so when the stock started sucking up the moisture it attacked the portions without protection commonly where the stock covered the metal. Man I have seen some nasty moldy old guns that are fresh from storage, it is truely amazing that so many guns are in such good condition

fal_762x51
03-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Moisture is water. ;)

Jimmy Deuce
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
how can I tell what shallow is?? Anyone mind if I email them pics and you can give me yout opnion?

socalguns
03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
In millimeters buddy.
For ex, if the outer diameter of the barrel is 30mm,
the inner is 8mm, that makes the barrel 22mm thick,
so I guesstimate shallow would be up to 4mm.
Important to consider is the surface area of the pitting
(definetly wouldn't want a lot of 4mm pits)