PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of a vertical foregrip on an AR15?

jdouglas
12-03-2011, 12:01 PM
The title of the thread says it all.

Basically, I'm trying to justify spending money to get one. :D Not an expensive one either; just something simple for around or under $30 (including a rail or whatever to mount it). I'm kinda looking at RifleGear's Promag grip ($13), and a basic Midwest Industries rail ($15-20 depending on length).

If there is nothing to be gained from adding this though (aside from weight), then maybe I'll just save the money for something useful like a muzzle break or extra magazines.

cmace22
12-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Personal preference on ergonomics. Some people like VFG's some people dont. Some people run AFG's some people dont. Purely preference.

Merc1138
12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Some people like to hang onto them, some people use them as a forward or rear hand stop. Other people use them as a monopod, some people get grip pods. You're asking a question that has answers that vary from person to person. Try it out yourself, they usually aren't expensive and if you don't like it you can sell it and make most of your money back.

mreed
12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
preference, i like the thumb break method of VFG, just try one for yourself man , never know until you do, if just say to try somones at the range and see if you like it.

canative
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Personally I like my Grip Pod for bench shooting or prone. I can remove it or leave it with ease.

jdouglas
12-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe I should buy it anyway, just to try it out...

h0use
12-03-2011, 12:53 PM
i like it when shooting it. plus its somthing to grab on too as well if need be

MrPlink
12-03-2011, 1:34 PM
its worth trying out. You can get a magpul model for well under 30 bucks.
I used to like em a lot, but then I switched over to AFGs about 2 years ago. This summer I decided I would give it another run, and I think that lasted all of 2 range trips.

In_this_city
12-03-2011, 1:45 PM
I used to have them on all my ARs, then I switched to AFGs. Just recently I switched back to barebones, no grip. My preferences change a lot.

chrisf
12-03-2011, 3:23 PM
I love mine. Magpul moe, They are on the smaller size but fit my large hands well. I hate the ones that are too long. Magpul got it right on.

RRichie09
12-03-2011, 3:23 PM
Went from VFG to AFG to just a handstop.

VFG - worked as handstop but didn't like holding it as a grip.

AFG - was hard to pull the rifle into my shoulder. (maybe I was doing it wrong haha)

Handstop - perfect.

MaHoTex
12-03-2011, 3:28 PM
Go for the AFG instead of the VFG. At least that is my opinion.

UserM4
12-03-2011, 3:51 PM
Always liked the thumb break hold and then the AFG came out and it sucked. Now it's either back to a VFG or featureless.

Exile Machine
12-03-2011, 3:55 PM
I use a Magpul MOE RVG (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/magpul-moe-rvg-blk-2805.html) mounted on the left side forward rail. Makes it easier to spray fire from the hip. Saves weight too because you can leave the sights and optics off.
-Mark

glock7
12-03-2011, 4:28 PM
So you can go full retard:)

Bete Noire
12-03-2011, 4:33 PM
Just buy one of each. Everybody needs a closet full of spare parts. The economy isn't going to jump start itself. Just buy an American one!

Droppin Deuces
12-03-2011, 4:43 PM
I don't think there's any secret to it. It just opens up a lot more options for gripping the forend.

FatalKitty
12-03-2011, 5:05 PM
VFG is for guys that wear body armor.

you don't have full range of motion in full battle rattle and an A2 - so a gangster grip helps

if you're not in body armor just hold the rifle like you're supposed to, as in - no VFG

jdouglas
12-03-2011, 5:08 PM
Half of the reason I'd get it would be just for looks.

(Someone really needs to make an AR-15 accessorizer website where you can accessorize any AR-15 with every available part on the market, just to see how it looks. :D)

mrvash
12-03-2011, 5:16 PM
Ever since I've gotten into black rifles (Saiga converted, CMMG AR15 and current build) I've always and will always have VFG's. To me, they add much more of an ergonomic advantage. I'm fond of the KAC VFG and Magpul RVG

MrPlink
12-03-2011, 5:45 PM
VFG is for guys that wear body armor.

you don't have full range of motion in full battle rattle and an A2 - so a gangster grip helps

if you're not in body armor just hold the rifle like you're supposed to, as in - no VFG

funny you mention this, am ex-marine buddy of mine felt they were useless period save for sweeping CQB motions.

FatalKitty
12-03-2011, 6:19 PM
I have to agree, i just held the magwell

MrPlink
12-03-2011, 7:02 PM
I have to agree, i just held the magwell

yeah, thats what he said too. Funny thing is IIRC he has a VFG on his personal rifle

negolien
12-03-2011, 7:40 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=mako+foregrip&hl=en&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=520&wrapid=tlif132297328695610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11415784318627952535&sa=X&ei=e_jaTsbuJ4qRiQLE3YnoDA&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA#

http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/reg.htm

2nd ones very nice here's a link to another discussion on VFGs

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=491454

$P-Ritch$
12-03-2011, 7:50 PM
It really is just personal preference. You're just going to have to try them all. I started with a VFG, then kept the VFG and switched to the thumb break grip, then I gave the AFG a whirl, and now I am content with a handstop and the thumb over bore grip.

jgraham15
12-03-2011, 8:06 PM
Half of the reason I'd get it would be just for looks.

(Someone really needs to make an AR-15 accessorizer website where you can accessorize any AR-15 with every available part on the market, just to see how it looks. :D)

Here you go

http://www.ar15builder.com/

radioburning
12-03-2011, 8:12 PM
I really like a VFG on my HK94 clone, but on my AR I like a stubby grip as a hand stop.

YMMV

Steve1968LS2
12-03-2011, 8:14 PM
I like the stubby Tango Downs or the Magpuls.. I mostly use them as a grip stop. I tried the MP AFG but didn't like it.

They are cheap enough to try and see if you like em'

bohoki
12-03-2011, 10:23 PM
it makes it easier to shoot a rifle wrong

Javi
12-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm still new to shooting: What's the need for a "hand stop"? I've only seen those recently.

jokat989
12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
to stop your hand from moving out of position

Javi
12-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Hmm. I'm guessing from rapid fire?

I've never used a vertical foregrip but I don't like them haha. Don't like that every DD I see in Turner's holiday flyer come with one. I wouldn't mine trying it out on someone's rifle but I won't buy one, I don't see the need to for myself . Hand stop: I'd get that for an AR-15 pistol.

socal-shooter
12-03-2011, 10:44 PM
vfg = good little stash spot for batteries, allen key, bullet button tool etc

shooting4life
12-03-2011, 10:56 PM
So your pictures on the Internet are cooler.

negolien
12-03-2011, 11:15 PM
It's actually a differant shooting technique.... Look at a majority of comp shooters and even combat situations.... The Thumb over hold has become quite popular... and does allow for freedom of right arm manipulation quite nicely. Fast CQB work in tight situations allows the VFG to be to good use imho.

Merc1138
12-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Hmm. I'm guessing from rapid fire?

I've never used a vertical foregrip but I don't like them haha. Don't like that every DD I see in Turner's holiday flyer come with one. I wouldn't mine trying it out on someone's rifle but I won't buy one, I don't see the need to for myself . Hand stop: I'd get that for an AR-15 pistol.

No...

It's so your hand doesn't change position. Maintaining the same position is being consistent. A rear handstop usually involves rear-ward pressure pulling the gun into your shoulder. A forward handstop would be in front of your hand. Either way, your hand is always going to be in the same spot.

Javi
12-04-2011, 12:39 AM
That's kind of what I was getting at with rapid fire, that your hand position could change from shooting faster. Or do you mean when you mount the rifle, that your hand is in the spot you want it in every time? Doesn't sound like something I'd need, at the moment.

TXDARKHORSE361
12-04-2011, 1:19 AM
Like everyone has said it is all on personal preference and that is always subject to change, I've usually rocked some kind of fore grip or grip pod on my military issued rifle and personal AR's, I was pretty fond of the plain nothing special VFG but I never held onto it as a lot of people do, basically used it as a backstop for my hand while using the thumb over barrel technique but after trying out the Magpul AFG I was sold and that's what I currently use.

ran this setup for awhile
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/270146_2142136081111_1477470139_2470513_1981989_n. jpg

Eventually switched to this setup
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/PC040551.jpg

I like switching between the magwell and the handguards so that's why I like this setup, The Mako Group makes a pretty cool product that acts as a magwell funnel/grip that just bolts on real easy which is what I have on the magwell in the second picture, they have them for $25.50 on their website, http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/mwg.htm

But like everyone has said there are thousands of aftermarket products out there for the AR and there's always gonna be something you like better down the road.

Huge Grant
12-04-2011, 8:24 AM
I run a VFG (grippod) *and* AFG on my AR, cuz I can't decide which I like best right now. (One side effect is my carbine looks frickin cool!) Generally, I find the VFG more natural for CQ/swinging between short distance targets. For longer distances... say, shooting an 8-inch steel plate from 100+ yds standing... I find the AFG allows for greater accuracy. To each his own.

Merc1138
12-04-2011, 9:55 AM
That's kind of what I was getting at with rapid fire, that your hand position could change from shooting faster. Or do you mean when you mount the rifle, that your hand is in the spot you want it in every time? Doesn't sound like something I'd need, at the moment.

If your hand position is changing from muzzle flip and recoil, you need to stop grabbing things like a wuss.

Yes, you can use a handstop to pull it tighter into your shoulder to help control it. The consistency when picking the thing up matters. If your hands are always in the same spot, and the stock is in the same spot on your shoulder, the recoil and muzzle flip should always be the same, swinging it should always feel the same, the weight balance will always feel the same.

The AFG basically acts as a rear or forward hand stop, just at an angle.

FatalKitty
12-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Never considered this purpose but it's a sound one!
I for one just put my index finger wrapped over the front "stop" on my MOE (rifle length) This allows consistent hand placement and some reward pressure, as well as enough room to break my thumb over the top of the bore for control, that and my hand is in a stable position to hold the rifle if I lower it and switch so secondary.

ryno066
12-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Im not a big fan of the AFGs. just got one and it forces my elbow to an awkward angle to hold the grip right.

donw
12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
i, personally, prefer the standard grip...the VFG gets in the way for my preferred style of shooting.*

i am going to try the AFG soon, though...it seems to be "More my style"

*i was trained in the classic military shooting positions by u.s. army infantry, and i like/prefer to use a supported position any time i can. but...i can also see where a VFG would be advantageous in a dynamic entry situation...

it's six to one, half-a-dozen to another...