PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on Mosin Nagants

Mossy Man
12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Was thinking about going to pick one up

They have them for $119 (I know not the cheapest i've ever seen, but it's only $20 or so) at River City. I am not sure which model they have, but it's probably whatever is the most common.

I checked there last time and they had a lot of them.

Can anyone give me some good info on Mosin Nagants?

I understand the 7.62x54mmR is pretty corrosive, so I've heard to use warm water and dish soap followed by some regular CLP or No.9 immediately after firing.

Are there any suggestions or tips for choosing one? What to look for, what to look OUT for, etc?

Any "must have" accessories for it?

Thanks in advance.

EvoXRiley
12-03-2011, 10:38 AM
dont buy into the whole"corrosive is the devil" proper cleaning which any gun owner should do, regardless of ammo is key to a good gun.

i own one its a awesome gun! cheap to shoot, fairly accurate and can be modified if you you need :)

if you like the wood stock keep it, i use a drop of old english and a old sock to clean it up every now and then and it works great.

you can also purchase a ATI stock for the mosin and make it more modern looking.

GL!

omgwtfbbq
12-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I would check the C&R forum. It's a hot bed for Mosin collectors/shooters. You can find a whole lot of information as far as what models are more desirable than others and what to look for when choosing a mosin for own.

Also, 7.62x54R is not by its nature corrosive. It's when you buy ammo of any kind that uses corrosive primers that you encounter that issue. This happens most often with large batch surplus ammo.

There is a debate about what cleans corrosive salts best, most effective heard is ammonia (some swear by windex) and hot water

Mossy Man
12-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I would check the C&R forum. It's a hot bed for Mosin collectors/shooters. You can find a whole lot of information as far as what models are more desirable than others and what to look for when choosing a mosin for own.

Also, 7.62x54R is not by its nature corrosive. It's when you buy ammo of any kind that uses corrosive primers that you encounter that issue. This happens most often with large batch surplus ammo.

There is a debate about what cleans corrosive salts best, most effective heard is ammonia (some swear by windex) and hot water

i would probably be shooting whatever is the least expensive ammo, which is probably some sort of surplus, i neglected to mention.

send it_hit
12-03-2011, 10:43 AM
also, i'd browse around http://7.62x54r.net/, tons of info

omgwtfbbq
12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
i would probably be shooting whatever is the least expensive ammo, which is probably some sort of surplus, i neglected to mention.

Well the general rule that I've heard is clean with an ammonia based cleaner, rinse with warm/hot water and then clean and lube as usual.

As a beginners rule for choosing a mosin a hexagonal receive is usually an indication of rarer or higher quality series of manufacture. Then again I'm not an expert and there are dozens if not hundreds (maybe even thousands) of different runs of the same basic design. I stick with my suggestion to check out the C&R forums. There are regulars there who own dozens of mosins and who know a ton.

chicoredneck
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Ammonia is not neccessary and does not do anything to help remove the salt. It may help remove copper if left in the barrel, but it can also cause damage to the barrel if left in too long. Water is all it takes. Hot, soapy water works better. The soap helps to remove any oil/grease that may be preventing the salt from being picked up by the water.

rojocorsa
12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Go on over to the C&R sub-forum, we have cookies.

h0use
12-03-2011, 1:49 PM
its a great rifle! and ammo is cheap!! i just applyed for my c&r ffl. hoping to get it soon. i plan to buy a crate of them!

Merc1138
12-03-2011, 1:56 PM
Ammonia is not neccessary and does not do anything to help remove the salt. It may help remove copper if left in the barrel, but it can also cause damage to the barrel if left in too long. Water is all it takes. Hot, soapy water works better. The soap helps to remove any oil/grease that may be preventing the salt from being picked up by the water.

Also the windex that so many people swear by is mostly water and only has a very small amount of ammonia in it. It's the water doing the work.

grant22
12-03-2011, 3:20 PM
A Mosin-Nagant was my first firearm, so it holds a pretty special place in my heart. It's a cheap gun, cheap to shoot and operate, dead simple, somewhat accurate, and a part of history.

Try J&G Sales (jgsales.com) for pretty cheap ammo. Yes, it's corrosive and easy to deal with. But before I knew better, I put it away the first time for 2 months without cleaning and the bore still looked flawless.

Good luck

JAGACIDA
12-03-2011, 3:40 PM
When it comes to choosing, if you have the option to hand pick one naturally go for the best looking or near perfect condition. If you mail order one JG sales will hand pick one for you for an additional fee. Worth it.
Corrosive ammo is just that, if left unattended after shooting it will begin to rust. Maybe not immediately but damage will be done. Follow the heed of previous posters on cleaning.
Check with 7.62x54R.net for tecnical info plus of course CG because there are probably more owned in CA than anywhere else.
Above all, have fun and be safe and if you'd like create a thread about using the MN for home defense.

G-Man WC
12-03-2011, 3:55 PM
All the info you will ever need is at these two sites.
Spend some time and you'll be schooled Fo Show. -g

http://www.mosinnagant.net/
http://7.62x54r.net/

DeathByDoubleDip
12-03-2011, 4:27 PM
Make sure your local ranges are okay with the cheap steel-core ammo, if that's what you're planning to shoot. I have a lot of people who frequent Burro Canyon telling me it's okay during rainy seasons, but then the Burro Canyon staff itself telling me it's banned outright. :confused: