PDA

View Full Version : General Survival Considerations

thenodnarb
12-03-2011, 8:34 AM
This is a list I made just to help me get my priorities straight when it comes to prepping, and to help others to consider all the different necessities of life when you can't count on the grid or supply chains to help you out. These are somewhat in order of importance(categorically not absolutely). You might put these categories in different priorities, and some things are just as important as others, so don't get caught up in that. I didn't want this list to be some exhaustive article so I only mention topics within each category. Anyway, hope it helps. Let me know if I have any glaring omissions.

General Survival
Water-
Water Storage-barrels/bottles/
Water Purification-portable/stationary/under sink
Water Source-Transfer pump/Well pump and related
Shelter-
Location-on the go/at home/B.O.L.
Heat-wood/propane/portable stoves/chemical hand warmers/Fire starting
Light-Candles/lanterns/flashlights
Bedding-cots/sleeping bags/pads/pillows/blankets
Clothing-durable/cold weather clothing/wet weather clothing/footwear
Chairs!
Food-
Food Storage
Cooking-Stoves/fire
Producing-Gardening/Live stock/Hunting/Fishing
Preserving-Dehydration/canning/freezing
Sanitation
TP/Women’s sanitation/bathing/cloths washing/soap/dental hygiene
Latrine-esp how it relates to water sources
Energy
Electricity-Generator/Solar/Wind etc.
Fuel-Gasoline/Propane/Diesel/ stove fuel/white gas/transfer pump
Batteries-flashlights/vehicle/battery banks/radio/phone
Power management-Inverters/Charge Controllers/battery chargers
Protection
Guns
Ammo
Security systems- CCTV/physical barriers/non-electric warning systems/LPOPs (Guard duty)
Transportation
Which Vehicle-EMP proof or spare parts that are shielded? Rugged. 4 wheel drive. Hauling capability. People carrying capability.
Navigation-GPS/maps/compass/land navigation
Communication
Cell Phone
Radio-ham/GMRS/FMRS/CB
Internet(available?)
Health
First Aid
Medicine-Antibiotics/pain killers/special considerations
Vision concerns-Glasses/contacts and related
Community
Mutual Assistance Group-Rally points/shared skills/Charter (rule of law)/Safety in numbers

Chaparral
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Dont forget to include the dogs and anything they might need, including very long term supplies of antiworming/flea meds etc.

Experience has taught me now that they are indeed the best security system ever. SHTF and I want a six month to year supply of Royal Canin or whatever the wife is feeding them these days.

Got Stuff?
12-03-2011, 9:01 PM
Pretty good list that got me thinking....

A comfortable backpack with water bladder for each member of the family just in case you have to become mobile and can only take what you can carry from your supply stash.

Might be a good idea?

jp1911
12-03-2011, 9:38 PM
Your list looks really good and covers the bases. These are just some items I have noticed looking at different threads about this topic that are not included. This could be because its seen as common knowledge. But to some it may not be.

Vehicle / Power unit supplies
Engine Oil and spare filter
Fuel filter
Coolant / Antifreeze
Fuel Stabilizer
Octane Boost (For aged fuel to bring back to life for use in generators)
Extra Belts
Spark Plugs
Trans oil
Gear oil
Grease
Assorted hose clamps and hoses

Documents
Deeds, Pink Slips, Birth Cert., Bank info etc.

Tools
What you are comfortable using and need for possible tasks at hand.

But the most important item is knowledge and mind set. Learn how to use every item you have and become comfortable with how it functions, learn how to do the repairs needed to keep your gear going.

12-03-2011, 9:42 PM
Very good list. Need to save this!

ciscollector
12-04-2011, 7:57 PM
Very good. I've been meaning to put a binder together broken into different categories with articles and info I've collected. This looks like the start of an index for me.
Thanks.