PDA

View Full Version : Sun Oven Group Buy? Anyone?

monibrew
12-03-2011, 7:28 AM
Hello, I am looking to get a Sun Oven and wondered if anyone wantd to go in on a group buy?

Any opinions or other ideas related to a Sun Oven type device are always welcome.

thenodnarb
12-03-2011, 7:35 AM
why not just build one?

monibrew
12-03-2011, 8:56 AM
Thought of that as well, lack of time is my issue. Not that it would be too difficult. Any other ideas or would cooking over open flame be just as if not easier?

thenodnarb
12-03-2011, 9:51 AM
Thought of that as well, lack of time is my issue. Not that it would be too difficult. Any other ideas or would cooking over open flame be just as if not easier?

A dutch oven would be my preference. Failing that, you can do a cardboard box oven. Line it with tin foil. Then put a pie tin on the ground with 4-5 good sized coals. Rig up a rack above it(i've seen soda cans and a metal tray on top to elevate it. It might need a little oxygen to burn well, so you can rig up a tube to goes from the outside of the box that leads to the coals. You place the box upside down on this little arrangement, and if you want to moniter the heat, stick a meat thermometer through the box on top.

bodiebill
12-03-2011, 10:05 AM
designs for a home built sun oven?

fabguy
12-03-2011, 4:22 PM
I was trying to get a few people together in august to do a build party but we couldnt get a design together, and I was waiting on prices from some vendors then My grandapa passed away and I had forgot all about it. If anyone is still interested let me know, I know a few members were interested also. Problem child was very interested, and like I said I had forgot all about it.
Let me know and we can use my shop to get alot of it done.

covertcombatant
12-04-2011, 3:03 PM
I love my sun oven!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

llamatrnr
12-04-2011, 3:09 PM
I love my sun oven!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

This!

wheels
12-04-2011, 5:21 PM
I was trying to get a few people together in august to do a build party but we couldnt get a design together, and I was waiting on prices from some vendors then My grandapa passed away and I had forgot all about it. If anyone is still interested let me know, I know a few members were interested also. Problem child was very interested, and like I said I had forgot all about it.
Let me know and we can use my shop to get alot of it done.

I'm still interested - probably best after the holidays.

HIG541
12-04-2011, 5:59 PM
i would still be interested. got to see what the price is

Seeker
12-04-2011, 6:21 PM
Im interested. But right now I have bills so maybe after the holidays. :D

Got Stuff?
12-04-2011, 7:25 PM
I have plans for a solar oven somewhere. I even tried it a few years back. I'll look to see if I can find the plans.

Stormfeather
12-04-2011, 7:44 PM
Im definitely interested depending on pricing, but as others have said, after the holidays would probably be best!

252yft
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Im definitely interested depending on pricing, but as others have said, after the holidays would probably be best!

+ 1 After the Holidays

fabguy
12-05-2011, 6:42 PM
OK sounds great, (tagged) Lets plan on maybe spring. I will let you all know as time gets closer. Maybe we can get some plans together before and I can have everything ready by the day we all decide.

ProblemChild (I didn't forget you) ;)
252yft
Stormfeather
Seeker
HIG541
Wheels

If I missed anyone let me know, or if anyone else wants to get in chime in.

covertcombatant
12-05-2011, 8:59 PM
If you guys buy me some beer ill bring the oven over and you can do some measurements. There are a few things I would change on it.

wheels
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM
If you guys buy me some beer ill bring the oven over and you can do some measurements. There are a few things I would change on it.

I'd be in for funding some development beer. I'd really like to see something that could be packed in my vehicle and survive rough roads - multiple uses.

Librarian
12-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Just for grins, http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Better uses for tinfoil than hats!