View Full Version : Would something like this work?

03-01-2007, 2:49 PM
I was working on a demo model for the computer class I teach, and was toying with an M4 model and a bastardized MM grip. I built the 3D render over the top of an actual image, so although it may not look 100% right, it's pretty close as far as dimmensions go. The stock was/is a simple collapsible, but I had to cut down the inner portion to clear the grip. I was thinking perhaps a Magpull would work, since it's more square at the end?

03-01-2007, 2:51 PM
if the stock is collapsible, no.

03-01-2007, 2:54 PM
Ah, the detachable mag plus collapsable stock = AW.

Damn these laws get confusing. I need a checklist.

03-01-2007, 2:54 PM
No, you can't have a collapsible stock with a detachable magazine; no matter what kind of grip you have on it.

And if that was a fake collapsible (as in a fixed, one position), it would not be legal like Monsterman's grip on an A2 stock is because on the MM grip, you physically cannot wrap your thumb around it. On that grip, it looks like if you had big hands you could wrap the web of your hand around it.

It's a great computer drawing, though. Keep trying on stuff like this, we need more people like you to develop alternatives for us CA prisoners.

03-01-2007, 2:56 PM
I thought the caveat for the pistol grip was that the web of the hand could not extend below the imginary line drawn from the top of the exposed trigger?

03-01-2007, 3:04 PM
I suppose that a pinned non-collapsing stock + monsterman COULD work, but

1)it may draw 'pistol grip' attention from DOJ (even though it meets the definitions)
2)it's fugly
3)MM w/ A2 stock just looks and works better, in my opinion.

03-01-2007, 3:38 PM
If you want that kinda grip, why not get a U15 stock?

03-01-2007, 3:57 PM
I like the idea of the detachable magazine, but I am not 100% sold on the U15's look. The buffer tube looks out of place, IMO. I know as a gun owner in CA, we have to make some concessions, and I should not be swayed about a product by it's looks alone. I have one completed OLL, a very simple M4 clone, and I have two more OLLs on the way.

I was considering a U15 setup on one of them, but as I toiled away on the computer, I rotated the stock pistol grip to the rear, and added in material to make it level with the trigger line, ala the MM grip. I guess my main gripe about the U15 is the organic curves, which IMO don't match the rifle. It's a great idea, and gives us an option, but I was entertaining another idea that would try to keep the line of the rifle and still be legal.

03-01-2007, 4:33 PM
I have cut my grips down to do that exact same look. The problem is, the way you have it, your hand is not really small enough to fit in that little area between the receiver and the grip. The best way to do it is to shape it like the U-15. It is workable and doable, but I find it much more comfortable the normal MMG way. That is just me though. I have cut and mutilated many of my grips to try different things, nothing was that exciting to me.

You could buy a couple of my new grips and try some stuff. :D

Oh, you can't have a collapsible stock with a detachable mag rifle. But I think others have already covered that.