PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting...

battlehatch
03-01-2007, 2:06 PM
My roommate and I are halfway through our hunter's safety course. I'm pretty excited. I have never hunted before. I plan on hunting pig mostly but I'll probably do alot of varmint and small game as well. I have been trying to read everything I can get my hands on as far as good places to hunt. The closest places for me are Lake Sonoma, Mendo Natl. Forest, and the closest by far is Cow Mountain North in Ukiah. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any good experience they can share with me. TIA.

joel1316
03-01-2007, 2:43 PM
Where are you located?

battlehatch
03-01-2007, 2:52 PM
Rohnert Park

zinfull
03-01-2007, 7:38 PM
Lake sonoma pig is by arrow only. not sure if you can use a cross bow but no guns.

Jerry

battlehatch
03-01-2007, 8:56 PM
Yeah, I read up on that, just might have to get me a crossbow...

metalhead357
03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Mendoceno; Great for Pig in some spots (or so I'm told) I aint ever seen any there except in...yep you guessed it-- lower lands PRIVATELY owened;Meno though awsome for Deer farther north.

I scouted Cow several years back...wasnt too impressed (for deer) but it looked in some areas to be ripe for turkey~ but I've not heard of anyone taking any there.

Be safe & know whats BEHIND what you're shooting at while out there on public land;)

Welcome to the club:D

pieeater
03-02-2007, 3:05 PM
PUBLIC LAND IN CA SUCKS.The refuges and limited entry hunts are ok. You can kill small game and varmints on public land. But my advice would be to find some private property to hunt.

pieeater
03-02-2007, 3:15 PM
Mendoceno; Great for Pig in some spots (or so I'm told) I aint ever seen any there except in...yep you guessed it-- lower lands PRIVATELY owened;Meno though awsome for Deer farther north.

I scouted Cow several years back...wasnt too impressed (for deer) but it looked in some areas to be ripe for turkey~ but I've not heard of anyone taking any there.

Be safe & know whats BEHIND what you're shooting at while out there on public land;)

Welcome to the club

Mendocino county is great for everything.

2006 pig
http://www.fototime.com/3983E9F2E51E864/standard.jpg

2006 Bear
http://www.fototime.com/EFA8BCDDC404BF4/standard.jpg

2005 Blacktail
http://www.fototime.com/9CCCC7F634BC742/standard.jpg

chris
03-02-2007, 4:06 PM
most of all is have fun. now vote in every election. if not doing so allready.

battlehatch
03-02-2007, 4:19 PM
most of all is have fun. now vote in every election. if not doing so allready.

I have been voting since I have been old enough to, I figure that's the only thing that gives you the right to COMPLAIN and ***** about it!

metalhead357
03-02-2007, 8:33 PM
Ohhhhhh Now Pie! You CANT just go posting picks like that and not telling us WHERE you took these beasties:) A "general" local would suffice as I know no one like giving up thier prime/premo spots but get Us close dude!!!!!!

pieeater
03-02-2007, 9:33 PM
Ohhhhhh Now Pie! You CANT just go posting picks like that and not telling us WHERE you took these beasties:) A "general" local would suffice as I know no one like giving up thier prime/premo spots but get Us close dude!!!!!!

I took those on private land in the Covelo area. I've hunted most of my life in Lake county, public and private. A lot more animals up north in mendo.

stuckin
03-03-2007, 7:51 PM
welcome to hunting. its always nice to know there more hunters getting started. the more the better. for ur first hunt or two try and find a local to go out with and learn the basics from. i am not sure of were u live. i am in so cal so i figure it most be up north. but go to the local gun/outdoor stores and talk with the guys and tell them ur new to hunting. some ones is bound to take u out for a hunt. or maybe try a guide on a pay and slay try hunt. at least u will see a lot of game and get used to looking at them and seeing how they act. good luck and post some pictures of ur first hunt.

stuck