PDA

View Full Version : I recently sold 2 AR lowers...

hangman7
12-02-2011, 4:08 PM
The prices surprised me. One is a PacWestArms Commando and the other is a Bushmaster XM15. On Gunbroker the PWA went for $450 and the BM went for $300! I pulled these out of service when the CA AWB hit. They are used but pretty clean. The PWA even has small pits in the casting around the mag well. I figured they might fetch $100 each. The serial numbers have the last 2 numbers erased. Am I missing something on the AR scene? You can get new NoDak spud lowers for an early AR build, and the BM was just a A2 model. New ones are $125? I got emails asking to do a buy it now for $350 for the PWA.

NorCalK9.com
12-02-2011, 4:33 PM
Now use some of that $$ and get an AK lol

OutlawStar
12-02-2011, 4:43 PM
Perhaps you had an over-educated buyer thinking the brand was superior somehow, or didn't now how to shop around for good prices. Quality lowers can be had for $100 but some people are willing to pay big bucks for brand names like Bushmaster.

Good for you getting a little more money in an honest fashion, get a new stripped lower and get an AK.

dachan
12-02-2011, 4:48 PM
Some states still only allow AR's manufactured prior to 1994 or there abouts

Bladewurk
12-02-2011, 4:54 PM
people in NY want these preban lowers and will pay a premium so they can build a rifle, also preban dated mags

dachan
12-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I pulled these out of service when the CA AWB hit.

Just to clarify, you had them stored out of state.

sirsloth
12-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Just to clarify, you had them stored out of state.

I would say that Cobb Lake, CO is out of state.

dachan
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I would say that Cobb Lake, CO is out of state.

Yes, but the City of Cobb in Lake County California is not.

Plus Cobb Lake in Colorado is a real lake, so are you thinking the OP is a fish or something?

sirsloth
12-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Yes, but the City of Cobb in Lake County California is not.

Plus Cobb Lake in Colorado is a real lake, so are you thinking the OP is a fish or something?

Jesus give it a break. Are you the police or something? I'm just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt instead of suggesting he's been storing assault weapons illegally.

QuarterBoreGunner
12-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Jesus give it a break. Are you the police or something? I'm just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt instead of suggesting he's been storing assault weapons illegally.

Take your own advice and relax; clarification is always nice, especially when it comes to things like accidental felonies.

Remember, it is an established fact that Law Enforcement agencies, local, state and federal, regularly review this website.

NorCalK9.com
12-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Take your own advice and relax; clarification is always nice, especially when it comes to things like accidental felonies.

Remember, it is an established fact that Law Enforcement agencies, local, state and federal, regularly review this website.

They do whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt? lmao!

ahren111
12-03-2011, 2:05 AM

I keep reading this in different threads & I'm just wondering how do you know this? I'm assuming this isn't some stupid a** rumor but I want to see some proof can someone give it please.

Scratch705
12-03-2011, 3:04 AM
I keep reading this in different threads & I'm just wondering how do you know this? I'm assuming this isn't some stupid a** rumor but I want to see some proof can someone give it please.

just the sheer fact that some quotes from calguns make it to the newspapers when some gun related law comes up is proof enough. if journalists can find calguns and get quotes, i'm sure the LEA's and anti-gunners can too.

ptoguy2002
12-03-2011, 4:52 AM
If they are a *verifiable* preban lower, then they will sell at a premium to somebody in a state that has their own version of the now expired Fed AWB.

VaderSpade
12-03-2011, 7:27 AM
If they are a *verifiable* preban lower, then they will sell at a premium to somebody in a state that has their own version of the now expired Fed AWB.

I donít mean to jack your thread but this is interesting^^^.

I have an old friend moving back to California from Idaho soon. Heís just out of an ugly divorce and has a good job waiting for him back here.

He ask me what he can, canít and should bring with him. He has two old colt SPís I told him he canít bring back, but I thought he would be stuck stripping them out and selling the lowers cheap since the price of lowers has bottomed out. How can he get top dollar for these? (Gunbroker noted)

Also what guns can and should he bring back even if that means buying them in the next few weeks in Idaho?

ptoguy2002
12-05-2011, 8:08 AM
I don’t mean to jack your thread but this is interesting^^^.

I have an old friend moving back to California from Idaho soon. He’s just out of an ugly divorce and has a good job waiting for him back here.

He ask me what he can, can’t and should bring with him. He has two old colt SP’s I told him he can’t bring back, but I thought he would be stuck stripping them out and selling the lowers cheap since the price of lowers has bottomed out. How can he get top dollar for these? (Gunbroker noted)

Also what guns can and should he bring back even if that means buying them in the next few weeks in Idaho?

I don't know all the fine details, but Colts are not always ok depending on the state.
See here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_137/224514_WTT___New_Stripped_Lowers_for_Preban_Lowers .html

I think if you got on barfcom on one of the home town forums where they have the ban, NY or CT maybe, and ask there you can get better info.

See the flow chart link on the menu bar at the top of this page. It has the banned models in it. These would be no go in California. Don't forget he has to make them Kali compliant.

JaeFern
12-05-2011, 8:14 AM
I don’t mean to jack your thread but this is interesting^^^.

I have an old friend moving back to California from Idaho soon. He’s just out of an ugly divorce and has a good job waiting for him back here.

He ask me what he can, can’t and should bring with him. He has two old colt SP’s I told him he can’t bring back, but I thought he would be stuck stripping them out and selling the lowers cheap since the price of lowers has bottomed out. How can he get top dollar for these? (Gunbroker noted)

Buy any off roster handgun he can now.

-Jae from my Photon 4G

Merc1138
12-05-2011, 8:18 AM
just the sheer fact that some quotes from calguns make it to the newspapers when some gun related law comes up is proof enough. if journalists can find calguns and get quotes, i'm sure the LEA's and anti-gunners can too.

Anti-gun groups have quoted posts on calguns before, quotes have also wound up in the media, and there are of course a number of 2a friendly LEOs on this board in addition to departments being made aware of it for one reason or another. It's no secret that antis, the media, and LEA watches this forum from time to time.

6172crew
12-05-2011, 8:30 AM
One of the reason calguns.net is so popular is the fact that you can get answers to questions you won't find at the places you should be able to find them. The cadoj and some le agencys have lied to ca gun owners over the years and it is the members job to make sure the most accurate information is given at all times.

Education for CA gun owners is very important and rumors/false info/fud gets dealt win pretty harshly around here and that's why the op's post/thread was jumped on. Don't take it personally, it is very important to make sure all of the members know how to deal with AWs, which both of your lowers were...at least they are in this state.

I had a pwa lower myself, it stays in NV and is now my dads lower. Maybe he should sell it and buy a few others with the cash.:D

VaderSpade
12-05-2011, 9:21 AM
As I understand it the lawsuit to get rid of the CA AW ban has been filed.

Should my buddy in Idaho store his lowers in Idaho and just wait until he can bring them into CA????

tonelar
12-05-2011, 9:31 AM
As I understand it the lawsuit to get rid of the CA AW ban has been filed.

Should my buddy in Idaho store his lowers in Idaho and just wait until he can bring them into CA????

Your buddy should wait to sell 'em in the 2012 panic following BHO's re-election.

ptoguy2002
12-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Does he have sentimental attachment to them?
Does he need the money?
Does he like having a genuine pony gun that might not be cheaply replaced?
What model pony guns are they?
Does he want to store them for ~5 (ish) years?
Does he have a good secure place to store them?
Not a question anybody here can answer with the facts given.

VaderSpade
12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
^^^He would need to answer most of those questions. I do know he would like to keep them, but I also know divorces and moving cost real money.

I’ll ask.

sir9usr
12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Hangman7 - I would've never guessed in a million years that a PWA receiver would still bring in that kind of $$$. I also bought one in 1987 from Papac Bros (Montebello) and it's still in my safe with a Colt M4 upper on it. It's on it's 2nd upper, 4th stock and I've worn out a bunch of hammer/triggers but it still runs like a clock. Last PWA I saw was at a gunshow 10-15 years ago and I remember the guy saying it was a "stronger" receiver (i just shrugged & said to myself "milspec is milspec") & walked away. I could never sell mine since it's a RAW and part of my heritage now. Good job on the sale!

whipkiller
12-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Your buddy should wait to sell 'em in the 2012 panic following BHO's re-election.

You take that back!!:eek::mad: