PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinion: 16" Bull Carbine w/ Piston

itisagoodname
12-02-2011, 4:36 PM
So i've got 2 AR's i really love and an 80% on the way for a pistol. The winds of change are blowing and i'm thinking about reconfiguring at least 1 of the rifles.

DPMS 16" Bull Barrel carbine& free-float rail and im looking to add a L.A.R. Side charge upper and/or a Gas Piston System.

Questions:
-Will the gas piston work with the LAR upper (e-mail sent to verify)?
-Has anyone had experience with a bull barrel with piston system? Seems like a good option since there is no option for a compensator

The second is a lightweight build mainly for my .22lr kit plinking in/outdoors and the go to gin if SHTF. Not many options that don't add weight.

The pistol is still undecided. I wanted an AR 57 pistol but just don't think its practical anymore. Again, if i pick up the LAR upper and don't use it for the rifle would this be o.k. to use on a pistol lower? (Other than legally it cannot be installed on a rifle prior to being installed on a pistol - i am assuming based on how it is written?).

Any info/opinions would be appreciated. Its getting close to Holiday shopping time!

tomd1584
12-02-2011, 8:13 PM
No offense, but that Bull barrel/piston conversion contraption sounds like a terrible idea.

itisagoodname
12-02-2011, 11:55 PM
No offense, but that Bull barrel/piston conversion contraption sounds like a terrible idea.

That makes sense, ive searched and searched but havent come up with anything.

Saber2Golf
12-03-2011, 1:51 AM
A bull barrel is for maximum accuracy, a piston for maximum reliability. If it's for hunting or target shooting, the bull barrel makes sense, but if it's a "utility" rifle the extra weight might not be worth it. The piston system is nice for a general purpose rifle, but are said to be worse for accuracy compared to a DI system.

Combining the heavy barrel and the piston system is like putting an automatic transmission in a sports car: an identity crisis. I think examining the intended purpose and weighing your priorities is in order.

Don29palms
12-03-2011, 7:47 AM
Who makes a gas piston for a bull barrel?

Agent Tikki
12-03-2011, 9:24 AM
Who makes a gas piston for a bull barrel?

Inquiring minds wanna know.......

bombadillo
12-03-2011, 9:30 AM
I think you're defeating yourself on both ends. The DI is better for accuracy, and bull for accuracy, but are you going for an accurate tac driver, or going for something more of a battle rifle. If you're going to go combat ready, a medium contour barrel with a GP would be sufficient, but I guess I just don't understand what you're going after. Try talking with Addaxtactical.com and see if they have any suggestions. They're one of the leaders in the gas piston industry IMO, and have GREAT customer service.

itisagoodname
12-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I think you're defeating yourself on both ends. The DI is better for accuracy, and bull for accuracy, but are you going for an accurate tac driver, or going for something more of a battle rifle. If you're going to go combat ready, a medium contour barrel with a GP would be sufficient, but I guess I just don't understand what you're going after. Try talking with Addaxtactical.com and see if they have any suggestions. They're one of the leaders in the gas piston industry IMO, and have GREAT customer service.

Thank you all for the input. I guess i was under the wrong assumption about the piston system. I thought there was improved accuracy to be had as well, recoil, etc as well as a cleaner running rifle. Since this is my bench gun weight is not as much of an issue.

I do have a separate battle rifle which will probably remain DI as well.

And for those who asked, CMMG and i believe Osprey both make a piston system for larger diameter barrels.