PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1/7 16" upper or Noveske 16" upper

Moded
03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Hello Fellows,

Need help on which upper receiver to purchase, Colt 1/7 16" upper or a Noveske 16" upper. Keep in mind, I have at least $1400 to burn from my income tax refund. :D

Prc329
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I think you need a new rifle if you gonna spend that much :)

GTKrockeTT
03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
should you find the decision too tough to make, i'd be happy to take that $1400 off your hands.

bwiese
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
The Colt likely has a chrome-lined bbl. If this is your 1st or 2nd AR, get that.

I don't know you, but I'm betting you're fairly new to ARs. The Noveske is great but overkill, and does not have a chrome-lined barrel.

New Colt uppers run in the $700+ range.

But you don't have to spend Colt money to get a good upper w/chromed bbl - go get a CMMG! These guys are doing everything right with no cut corner, and their chromed bbs are.

Use the money you save toward a nice ACOG scope or red dot, etc. You'll have a great setup...

JWC6
03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.lewismachine.net/store.php?cid=8&session=137047d78109dd50a2ce7fa503ceaf27

http://www.mgimilitary.com/

If you want to spend $$$ LMT MRP OR MGI QCB uppers are great.

The LMT CQB MRP is very well machined and, in my opinion, worth every penny. It can switch pretty quickly from 5.56 to 6.8mm and the LMT gas piston option is coming soon. Want a SS barrel? LMT has them also. The only gripe I have is it takes proprietary barrels.

The MGI QCB upper is precisely that, an upper that can swap standard AR barrels without tools in less than a minute. The upper is capable with the 7.62X39mm round and MGI manufactures a modular lower that can accept AR mags, AK 7.62X39mm mags, and 45ACP grease gun mags.

Of course, you can always get a standard upper and be just as happy, ie COLT, LMT, Noveske, CMMG, and use the extra money for ammo.

guimus
03-01-2007, 1:27 PM
1400 should get you a good quality complete rifle, eotech hollosight, mags, sling, plenty of ammo. I'd follow Bill's advice and go with a cmmg upper.

Technical Ted
03-01-2007, 1:38 PM
That's a REAL good deal.

The only advantage to having a Colt upper is if you have a Colt lower to match it. Otherwise, there are other manufacturers (CMMG for one) that are just as good at $200-$400 cheaper than Colt.

BTW LMT doesn't parkerize under the front sight base assembly.

mltrading
03-01-2007, 1:40 PM
If you have $1.4K in hand, get an LMT monolithic upper. period.:)

Jicko
03-01-2007, 2:33 PM
$1.4k .... build a Mk12 SPR.... 18" 1/7....

hmmm $1.4k probably is not enough tho....

6172crew
03-01-2007, 2:39 PM
Not to downplay CMMG but Colt and LMT have a govt contract, cmmg doesnt...at least from what Im told. Buy a Colt or LMT and if you ever had to sell her you can get more than the cmmg imo.

Im looking into a CMMG upper but I havent found anyone who can report how they shoot.

boosterboy
03-01-2007, 4:54 PM
The Colt likely has a chrome-lined bbl. If this is your 1st or 2nd AR, get that.

I don't know you, but I'm betting you're fairly new to ARs. The Noveske is great but overkill, and does not have a chrome-lined barrel.

But you don't have to spend Colt money to get a good upper w/chromed bbl - go get a CMMG! These guys are doing everything right with no cut corner, and their chromed bbs are.

Use the money you save toward a nice ACOG scope or red dot, etc. You'll have a great setup...

Actually Denny is carrying the 16" Noveske chrome-lined Recon barrels, at globaltactical.com

thmpr
03-01-2007, 5:08 PM
Would get a JTAC or Denny's Upper.....

thmpr
03-01-2007, 5:09 PM
Or better yet.... A JP CTR-02 upper!

xenophobe
03-01-2007, 5:44 PM
Actually Denny is carrying the 16" Noveske chrome-lined Recon barrels, at globaltactical.com

Those are sold out, and there are no plans to produce any more. They didn't sell quick enough apparently.

Bolt2Bounce
03-01-2007, 8:02 PM
If you want to spend that coin get a LMT upper with the QCB or if you want a good standard CLB AR get a Bushmaster and spend the extra coin on a nice optic like the IOR M2 or red dot. M2˘ ;) B2B

Moded
03-01-2007, 9:17 PM
I do not have anything against LMT, CMMG, Bush Master, etc. The reason why I pick Colt or Noveske is because John from SJGE told me Colt upper receivers are the best if I wanted to build a top of the line AR. Secondly, the reason why I picked the Noveske uppers as my other choice, is because they have a very good reputation as a top of the line builder. I am only planning to build one OLL AR. That is why I am leaning toward a Colt or Noveske. If I am going to spend that much money on an OLL build, I want to buy the best. Also, thanks for everyone’s input. The more I learn, I better off I will become. :)

6172crew
03-01-2007, 9:42 PM
I do not have anything against LMT, CMMG, Bush Master, etc. The reason why I pick Colt or Noveske is because John from SJGE told me Colt upper receivers are the best if I wanted to build a top of the line AR. Secondly, the reason why I picked the Noveske uppers as my other choice, is because they have a very good reputation as a top of the line builder. I am only planning to build one OLL AR. That is why I am leaning toward a Colt or Noveske. If I am going to spend that much money on an OLL build, I want to buy the best. Also, thanks for everyone’s input. The more I learn, I better off I will become. :)

Well most everone out there uses a CMT upper they are made for Colt/FN and some other guys, the barrels are a different matter.

What do you plan on using it for? Noveske uses stainless barrels and White Oak and other top end barrel guys use material other than chrome lined steel which is what Colt uses.

The chrome lined stuff last a long time and works great for the GIs serving our country. The folks shooting in matches dont use chrome lined barrels as far as I know. The type of shooting you want to use it for can really help us help you.;)

Moded
03-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the info 6172crew. I just want an OLL build that I can shoot two to three times a month, around 800- 1000 rounds max per month. I know I am being extra pick about what upper receiver assembly I want to purchase, but I just want to get one that will last me two to three life times.

PIRATE14
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the info 6172crew. I just want an OLL build that I can shoot two to three times a month, around 800- 1000 rounds max per month. I know I am being extra pick about what upper receiver assembly I want to purchase, but I just want to get one that will last me two to three life times.

Well if your going to shoot that much ammo.....go chrome......;)

bwiese
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM

With those numbers you ain't gonna find it.

Let's say you shoot 500 rounds a month. In 20 months - less than 2 years! - you'll have shot out a non-chrome-lined barrel - at 10,000 rounds, it's still usable, but groups widen and the $$ you paid for a match or custom barrel are out the door. Also, that 10K useful life # is a high number, some folks say it's around 6000-8000 that they perceive change.

A chrome-lined barrel is good for 25,000-30K rounds life, perhaps a smidgen more if there's no high temeperature rapid-fire usage...

Everyone's first AR barrel should be chrome-lined one.

randy
03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
If you're ready to spend that much then step up to a JP or MSTN. Nothing wrong with buying the best.

6172crew
03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Now that we know you need a chrome lined barrel you can look at the topend guys like Colt which sells a 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel that serves our troops well,

Here are a few that make uppers in that range.

Colt (hard to find just an upper becuase they only sell whole rifles).
LMT (you need a govt contract as well but our local vendors have them in stock)
I own a LMT and its a nice rifle that is as close to GI as I can get which is what i wanted.

Cmmg makes a rifle that is pretty cheap and has all the stuff that the other have but I dont know anything about them and Im waiting for some feedback from some of teh guys who bought them awhile back.

The Spec Ops guys have been playing around with other M16 type barrels out there but they arent chromelined but CMMG makes one which is a SPR or speacial purpose rifle that Ive been looking into, I highly dought it will compete with a white oak or other brand like Noveske but the price is pretty cheap and if it will shoot MOA with good ammo I might buy a CMMG and save my $$ for a nicer scope and some ammo.