PDA

View Full Version : Barrel choice help

Curley Red
12-02-2011, 9:28 AM
I am building my first AR and need help in picking the right barrel, here is my plans.

I have read all the info on my bullet questions from everyone and it looks like I will probably be shooting a 77 gr SMKs or other bullets in that range. From what I have read I should go with a 1x7 twist and 20" long. Other than that I do not know much more, I am looking for any more info that you can help me with. As in manufacturer and barrel type. My upper will be a Stag A3 flattop left handed assembly. I will be mainly shooting paper at the 400 - 500 range. If it makes a difference I will have a bullet button o my AR so i will be an "evil" AR.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your previous help. FYI I pick up my lower from jail tomorrow!!!

Nathan Krynn
12-02-2011, 9:32 AM
How much do you want to spend?

KillerRabbit
12-02-2011, 9:36 AM
I would go with a 20" 1X8 everyone on our team either shoots a Wilson in 1X8 or a Krieger 1X7.7 the times any one has used a 1X7 they just have not shot as well for us. We use bullets ranging from 73-82 grains.
Dirk

Nathan Krynn
12-02-2011, 9:38 AM
I would go with a 20" 1X8 everyone on our team either shoots a Wilson in 1X8 or a Krieger 1X7.7 the times any one has used a 1X7 they just have not shot as well for us. We use bullets ranging from 73-82 grains.
Dirk

That 1/7.7 Krieger is the best damn barrels I have ever shot IMHO. when I asked how much he wants to spend that the top I was going to suggest.

Curley Red
12-02-2011, 9:57 AM
How much do you want to spend?

I have no problem spending a couple hundred on a good barrel. I am taking my time with this build since I live by the motto, "Buy right, buy once". But it looks like you agree with the Krieger in a 1x7.7. What length or does it only come in one length? Also where should I look to buy from.

Nathan Krynn
12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah they are pricy and frankly I would just buy it straight from them. One of mine from them cost me like $600 IIRC. It was a years a go so I could be wrong but I have two from them and they just rock but remember these are match barrels not run and gun shoot crud ammo through barrels.

Curley Red
12-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah they are pricy and frankly I would just buy it straight from them. One of mine from them cost me like $600 IIRC. It was a years a go so I could be wrong but I have two from them and they just rock but remember these are match barrels not run and gun shoot crud ammo through barrels.

I will be shooting my own reloads, I don't buy crud ammo for any of my guns. Are there any other good choices available to me, $600 is a little steep right now?

Nathan Krynn
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Check with them and see how much it is. It was a years ago I got mine and it was sort of a custom job, also my memory on cost might be off.

There are tons of good barrels but they are one of if not the best.

Curley Red
12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Also of it makes a difference I am hoping to use this in 2 gun and 3 gun matches.

SmokingSam
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
When I called them for my AR-10 barrel, it was in the $700 and 6 months wait and with few options. I think it is worth the money for what one gets. So I decided to build another AR-10 with a ready available upper and then wait for the Krieger barrel anyway...:chris:

Nathan Krynn
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Then I wouldn't use a krieger, those are bench rest ss barrels.

I wouldn't use my 3g rifle for bench shooting as it requires different things.

gmcal
12-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Building 2 rifles/uppers would be best if possible. If you can do that I'd look at the White Oak Armament 20" Service rifle barrel for your bench gun. Starts at $205.

If you can't do 2 uppers right now an SPR barrel may work for you. WOA has an SPR barrel for $265 and BCM has 1 for $299. Noveske makes great barrels but they aren't much, if any, cheaper than Krieger. I don't know who else makes 18" stainless steel barrels.

Daniel Defense makes an 18" Chrome lined CHF barrel if you can find one. Probably won't be as accurate as the stainless steel barrels, but will last longer when running and gunning in 2 gun and 3 gun.

Curley Red
12-02-2011, 1:24 PM
Building 2 rifles/uppers would be best if possible. If you can do that I'd look at the White Oak Armament 20" Service rifle barrel for your bench gun. Starts at $205.

If you can't do 2 uppers right now an SPR barrel may work for you. WOA has an SPR barrel for $265 and BCM has 1 for $299. Noveske makes great barrels but they aren't much, if any, cheaper than Krieger. I don't know who else makes 18" stainless steel barrels.

Daniel Defense makes an 18" Chrome lined CHF barrel if you can find one. Probably won't be as accurate as the stainless steel barrels, but will last longer when running and gunning in 2 gun and 3 gun.

Only 1 build for now, once this one is done then I will make my bench gun but in 308. So I went to Rainer Arms and they have the WOA SPR barrel which of course brings up more questions for me. I really know very little when it comes to all this particular firearm. So now I need to know if I get the mid gas or rifle gas system and if I get the M4 or ambi extension. I have no idea what this means. As I have stated I am real new to this type of firearm, all my other long guns are trapdoors and lever action rifles. The thing I liked about Rainer is that they will match the barrel to the bolt carrier if I get bot hthrough them. by ambi I am guessing that means for those that will hve a left handed rifle which I will.