PDA

View Full Version : M1A question?

Average Joe American
12-02-2011, 1:05 AM
If I were to move to California (for family reasons) what would I have to do to make my M1A legal?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/m14angle1.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/m14rear.jpg

louscamaro91
12-02-2011, 1:09 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't move here..... If you absolutely have to.....
Change the flash hider to a muzzle break. That archangel stock could be considered a pistol grip, Might want to put factory one back on.
If you have any Hi-cap mags(over 10 rounds), you need to disassemble them.

slopoke
12-02-2011, 1:14 AM
If that is the Archangel stock. You will need to change it to a conventional wood or synthetic stock. There has been much debate of the Califorina legality of the Archangel stock and the general concensus is that it is NOT California legal. Other than the other post about changing it to a CA legal muzzle brake. That's all that needs to be done to make it CA legal.

jigenax
12-02-2011, 1:27 AM
I think that's a JAE 100 G3 stock. JAE is based in Orange County. According to JAE, they communicated with CaDOJ about the grip design being compliant with Ca AW laws. So it is CA legal.

http://www.jallenenterprises.com/jae100g3_faq.htm

And remember to get 10 round mags along with changing your flash hider to the CA approved muzzle brake.

Mossy Man
12-02-2011, 1:30 AM
Or keep it all on there, get some kind of magazine lock, and stick with 10 Rounders.

louscamaro91
12-02-2011, 1:39 AM
I think that's a JAE stock. And remember to get 10 round mags.

That is not a JAE stock.

jigenax
12-02-2011, 1:53 AM
Oh duh... the second pic shows the Archangel brand. Never mind. :p

xSARSx
12-02-2011, 1:56 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't move here..... If you absolutely have to.....
Change the flash hider to a muzzle break. That archangel stock could be considered a pistol grip, Might want to put factory one back on.
If you have any Hi-cap mags(over 10 rounds), you need to disassemble them.

what he said. it can be considered a pistol grip if you deicide to move to california buts its actually called a gooseneck. one of my buddy who has the archangel stock took it to the range and when the range master saw it he didnt even bother(lytle creek range)

slopoke
12-02-2011, 2:04 AM
what he said. it can be considered a pistol grip if you deicide to move to california buts its actually called a gooseneck. one of my buddy who has the archangel stock took it to the range and when the range master saw it he didnt even bother(lytle creek range)

It's not the rangemaster that one would need to worry about, it's the law enforcement officer that might see it during a traffic stop or the off duty law enforcement officer at the range that spots it and dose something. I am a range safety officer at a Northern California range and law enforcement officers do notice other peoples firearms. Remember that a lot of off duty LEOs like ATF, police, FBI, DEA, etc practice or have fun at public ranges.

One example was an off duty police officer noticed what he thought to be a firearm that had select fire (full auto) and was heard that he was going to go get the persons license plate and report him. I don't know if it happened, but they do look at others firearms and may take action.

Gromit
12-02-2011, 2:50 AM

I went to Lytle Creek, too, with my JAE stock. I got stopped by the range master, and we talked a little bit about the JAE stock (he had never seen one before). He was actually a really cool guy, and we went over his book of what constituted an illegal vs. legal firearm in this state. In the end, I assured him that, per JAE, these stocks were CA legal, and that I had actually bought the rifle from a licensed firearms dealer with the stock already assembled.

I shot the JAE M1A the rest of the day without any other issues/problems from the range folks. If there were any off-duty LEO's there, no one said anything to me.

Archangel stocks...I'm not as sure/well-informed.

rsinmv
12-02-2011, 6:08 AM
OC Armory makes M1A/M14 magazine lock. Just swap out the mag catch, use 10 round magazine and keep the EVIL features:43:

gunsmoke50
12-02-2011, 6:54 AM
As has been mentioned:

1. Change the Flash Hider for a muzzle brake or no muzzle device
2. Either go to a more traditional stock, or fill in the Archangel stock until your thumb cannot go below the level of the trigger guard. You can probably do a better job than I did:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=500741&highlight=archangel

Oh, and I might be wrong, but unless you are a former resident of California and owned that 20 rounder before Jan 1, 2001, don't bring that magazine into the state assembled.

Average Joe American
12-03-2011, 1:30 AM
Awesome review of the Archangel stock.

As for the rip off aspect? In my opinion I dont see a plastic stock being a rip off of an aluminum and titanium stock? Its simply a polymer stock that should be compared to other polymer stocks. The JAE should be compared to SAGE, VLTOR, and Troy... which are all expensive aluminum chassis systems like the JAE.

Thats like comparing a Glock 21 45acp with a Colt Gold Cup 1911 45acp and calling the Glock a 45acp rip off.

Just my opinion of course. Please dont take offense.

Gromit
12-03-2011, 1:48 PM
As for the rip off aspect? In my opinion I dont see a plastic stock being a rip off of an aluminum and titanium stock? Its simply a polymer stock that should be compared to other polymer stocks. The JAE should be compared to SAGE, VLTOR, and Troy... which are all expensive aluminum chassis systems like the JAE.

Thats like comparing a Glock 21 45acp with a Colt Gold Cup 1911 45acp and calling the Glock a 45acp rip off.

Just my opinion of course. Please dont take offense.

No offense taken (not an offensive comment), but do you agree that they at least look similar? Even just a teeny-tiny bit? Not that that means anything...

Average Joe American
12-03-2011, 7:01 PM
If I squint my eyes they do look similar.

I still have a hard time with the whole "rip off" aspect though for some folks?

I mean seriously, if Archangel is ripping off JAE then that means I have bought many rip offs of Eugene Stoners rifle design and Samuel Colts handgun design. (and just about everyone else on this forum for that matter lol):D

Mssr. Eleganté
12-03-2011, 7:08 PM
...I still have a hard time with the whole "rip off" aspect though for some folks?

I mean seriously, if Archangel is ripping off JAE then that means I have bought many rip offs of Eugene Stoners rifle design and Samuel Colts handgun design. (and just about everyone else on this forum for that matter lol):D

If you wait long enough to copy somebody then it is a "tribute". If you start copying them right away then it is a "rip off". :D