PDA

View Full Version : M1a national match break in and cleaning???

SxB
12-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Im taking my m1a national match out this weekend for the first time. I read the manual and didnt see anything about a special break in process. Im hoping some more experienced minds can give me some knowledge.

Also, I read in the springfield owners manual that they dont recommend removing the barreled action from the stock because the possibility of chipping the glass bedding. can you/do you need to, remove the bolt assembly without removing the action from the stock?

Thanks
Kyle

slopoke
12-02-2011, 1:49 AM
When I was researching about field stripping a bedded stock, I found that some field strip after every outing and some only field strip once a year or so. Ted Brown who is a very respected M1A armourer totally strips his M1As only a few times a year, but cleans the bore after every time he shoots it.

When you do clean the bore, have the trigger pointing up. You want the trigger up, because by doing this, cleaning solvents and lube will not get into the gas cylinder and fouling the gas piston. The gas cylinder is the thing that has the plug with a 3/8" hex. In the cylinder is a piston that operates the op rod. The pressure that makes the piston move is taken from a little hole in the barrel that ports into the gas cylinder. So any liquids that get into the bore will get into the gas cylinder, if it's cleaned with the trigger down.

Tonyben (his user name) on the M14forum has a great cleaning guide for the M1A. It details how to field strip, lube the bolt and clean the M1A.

As far as breaking in. I did not follow any break in with any of my M1As. I just shot em then cleaned the bore after. If you do run a patch with lube after you clean it, before you shoot it, run a couple of patches with solvent then run patches through until the patches come out dry. All of my M1As that were shot from new, shoot apporx 1" groups at 100 yards with my hand loads.

SxB
12-02-2011, 3:14 AM
good info. thanks.

jtv3062
12-02-2011, 6:17 AM
Remember not to shoot any rounds over 180 grains. Damage could happen to your op rod.

Mail Clerk
12-02-2011, 7:00 AM
Im taking my m1a national match out this weekend for the first time. I read the manual and didnt see anything about a special break in process. Im hoping some more experienced minds can give me some knowledge.

Also, I read in the springfield owners manual that they dont recommend removing the barreled action from the stock because the possibility of chipping the glass bedding. can you/do you need to, remove the bolt assembly without removing the action from the stock?

Thanks
Kyle

Kyle,

For national match rifles it's very important not to separate the action/receiver from the stock allot cuz that's where a good portion of the accuracy is. Disturb the rifle bedding and your national match is nothing more than a standard M1A. Keep the field stripping to a minimum. You can actually
clean your rifle without taking it apart.

Mail Clerk

kendog4570
12-02-2011, 9:28 AM
The hands-down best way to break in your rifle is to take it to a local clinic/match, fall in, and shoot it.

Check this website for an affiliated club near you. http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=CA

It may seem intimidating to first timers, but you will never meet a nicer bunch of folks, and you will learn more about your rifle in one or two matches than you will in a lifetime of plinking at public ranges.

One word of caution... National match course high power shooting is extremely addictive.
Once you do it, there is no way out...;)

Have fun and good luck.

Omega13device
12-02-2011, 9:36 AM
It's not critical to frequently field strip your M1A. A little grease on the bolt and op rod rails from time to time will keep it happy.

dachan
12-02-2011, 1:59 PM
Here's a link about breaking in match barrels from what is considered to be the premium match barrel manufacturer. Read and do what you think is necessary.
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

On glass-bedded guns, don't take the receiver out of the bedding unless absolutely necessary. Do it a handfull of times, and you may need a new bedding job. It is possible to remove the bolt on a M1A without taking it out of the stock by lining up the op rod tab to the slot in the receiver, popping the tab out and sliding the bolt/op rod back until the bolt roller is free of the op rod. Then just wiggle the bolt out of the receiver (the rear of the firing pin has to clear the little slot in the receiver). You should only have to take to bolt out if you break a firing pin or something; otherwise for routine cleaning, there is no need to field strip.

Also highly suggest participating in CMP organized events, about the best way to learn to shoot your NM. M1A's ruled the line up until about 10yrs ago when the low drag 223 bullets became available. A next event close to you is tomorrow at the Metcalf range in San Jose, sponsored by the SJ Zouaves. Get there by 8am, they'll sign you up, put you through a 1 1/2 safety and orientation for the NM course and run you through a 50shot NM course at 200yds. Here's a link with more information:
http://www.zouaves.org/

30Cal
12-02-2011, 4:38 PM
Clean it upside down, muzzle sloping downward to keep solvent out of the gas system and the bedding area. Everything that gets dirty that matters you can reach without pulling the stock off.

FWIW, to get the stock off, you'll need a mallet.

UBFRAGD
12-02-2011, 6:36 PM
When I first got my NM M1A, I found that accidentally hitting the bolt face with the tip of the cleaning rod could have disastrous results.

Never needed to remove the receiver.

I am currently finding decent accuracy with Privi Partizan 178grn BTHP.