PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1919 Not cycling

h0use
12-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Kinda need help figuring out the problem with this rifle.
It's CA legal so don't worry! 10rd links. Anyways can't get it to cycle more than 2 rounds for some reason. Will shoot the first round and chamber the 2nd round. The 2nd round will fire and will not cycle back.

EBR Works
12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
What type/brand of ammo are you using? What caliber is the gun?

50BMGBOB
12-01-2011, 11:42 PM
You say the second round fires but doesn't cycle the bolt? Does the bolt move back at all, just not enough to cycle? Can you cycle the bolt by hand after that? Also, does it eject the second round? Common problem with 1919 is the belt doesn't advance so the next round doesn't load. When you pull the trigger, it goes click but no bang. Cycling the bolt doesn't eject a case. That is a different problem and takes a different fix.

Need more info.

Beelzy
12-02-2011, 6:20 AM
First make sure your ammo is mil-spec. Commercial ammo tends to run "short" and won't
function reliably in a 1919.

Oh, and use plenty of lube when firing the gun, they don't like to run dry.

AWARCORP
12-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Are you shooting with links or cloth? I have had similar problems, most often fixed by checking each possible variable.. Hey Bob, what is your fix for "Common problem with 1919 is the belt doesn't advance so the next round doesn't load. When you pull the trigger, it goes click but no bang" ????

Zippiot
12-03-2011, 4:34 AM
Check headspace

50BMGBOB
12-03-2011, 5:52 AM
Are you shooting with links or cloth? I have had similar problems, most often fixed by checking each possible variable.. Hey Bob, what is your fix for "Common problem with 1919 is the belt doesn't advance so the next round doesn't load. When you pull the trigger, it goes click but no bang" ????

First is to check the OAL of the ammo. To short the gun won't pull the round from the belt, to long and the belt binds and doesn't advance.

Second, the springs for the feed paws get weak and can slip. Replacement is cheap and easy.

Biggest thing to remember is with a belt-fed gun is that besides extracting the fired round and loading the next round, they also advance the belt. Figuring out exactly what it is not doing is key to trouble shooting.

In the ops case, is the bolt really not going back or is it short stroking or is it cycling but not extracting the round from the belt or is it cycling and the belt not advancing so there isn't a round in place? Key thing to look for did it extract the fired round but not load the new one? That doesn't even get into does it cycle fine, loads the new round, advances the belt but doesn't reset the trigger in which case there would be no click and when manually cycled it should exject a unfired round. Like I said before, we need more info to recommend a fix.

straykiller
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
defiantly need more information also make sure your feed lever is in the correct position before you slam the top cover down. ill be waiting for more details to help correctly diagnose the problem.

50BMGBOB
12-09-2011, 4:04 PM
Any more info yet? Did you get it working? Post what you may have found to help the next guy fix his.

h0use
12-09-2011, 5:49 PM
i have not gone back to the range yet, planing on going this weekend and will take all the info you guys gave me.will try to take a video as well

h0use
12-19-2011, 4:55 PM
back from the range guys! and i need your help! its chambered in 308 links and i am shooting lake city ammo. so when i have 10rd links i made up. i will chamber a round by pulling back the charging handel two times. it will fire and cycle and load another round. i can fire that one as well after that it does not feed another round. some one said it might be that my gun was not set up to shoot links? but thats what it came with. i have alot of pic. can some one pm me and i can show you everything i sent pics of? i am puzzled. i have a big paper weight!!!!

EBR Works
12-19-2011, 5:26 PM
Who built your gun?

h0use
12-19-2011, 5:49 PM
a guy named tom miller he had a bunch of them for sale several years ago. he goes to the local gun shows and sells the tripods. the gun is from ohio ordance. i have posted a few pics. i have alot more.

h0use
12-19-2011, 5:54 PM
more pics

h0use
12-19-2011, 5:57 PM
another set of pics. let me know if you guys need any other pics!

GMG
12-19-2011, 6:18 PM
A 1919 should shoot links or belts with no problem.

Are you using IZZY links? You also mentioned Lake City ammo, which could be commercial ammo and not to NATO specs as far as OAL. (over all length).

I've run Indian, Pakistan and South African with no problems!

Looks like your local to me.........PM for my phone # and we'll talk.

h0use
12-19-2011, 6:55 PM
I am not sure what kind of links I am using? It came with alot of them and a tool to load the links.

h0use
12-19-2011, 7:40 PM
The side plate says Rapid Fire, Troy OH

saki302
12-20-2011, 1:04 AM
Slide the barrel and bolt out, and set headspace TO THE BULLET YOU'RE SHOOTING. (stick a live round in it, slide the bolt into the barrel carrier thingamabob, set the barrel back til it stops, loosen two clicks)

I did this for a few members a few years back and their guns ran flawlessly afterwards.

Avoid the headspace gauges- one guy was getting case ruptures after setting it to the gauge- it was WAY loose.

-Dave

50BMGBOB
12-20-2011, 3:23 AM
Pics with ammo while at the range would help.

Yes, they run better with the right head space. head space can vary from one lot of ammo to the next.

That being said, a couple of questions. First, when it doesn't feed, does the fired case extract and the trigger goes click when pulled (no new case in chamber)? If yes, does pulling the charging handle back once load the next round or does it take twice before it will fire? Another way is if you lift the top cover, is there a round under the extractor ready to be pulled from the belt when the bolt cycles?

Things to watch for are if you, with the top cover up, push the belt towards the muzzle does the gun have trouble extracting the round from the belt? That would point to an OAL problem. Try a different ammo, even Wolf.

Next thing to watch is when you fire it, instead for looking through the sights, watch the belt. When the shuttle goes out to pull the belt, does the belt slide out with it? This can be tricky to see becuase it happens fast. It may not when you cycle by hand but may when the gun is fired. This could mean the spring under the holding paw is weak. If the belt isn't held in place as the shuttle goes out there will not be a round under the extractor to load the next time the gun is cycled. Luckily, the spring is easy to replace and when I did mine I got a new spring form OSH (local hardware store) for just a buck or two.

If you where closer, I would try to meet you at the range and help.

anyracoon
12-20-2011, 5:40 AM
Here is a link to the same problem being covered on BeltFedShooters.com http://www.beltfedshooters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9174

Also how well lubed is your 1919? Mine likes to run really wet!

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2011, 7:01 AM
If you are using 30-06 links with .308 ammo, you are probably going to have problems. If you are using commercial .308 instead of surplus, you will probably have problems.

h0use
12-20-2011, 9:23 AM
I am not sure what kind of links I am using. I got the whole package gun, bipod, loader and 500 links.

GMG
12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
m07ZcxpHNgo

EBR Works
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
^ This. Thousands of flawless rounds through our gun using this method. Lockup -3.