View Full Version : Suggestions on Muzzle Brake for Mini 14

Mossy Man
12-01-2011, 7:32 PM
I have a 196 series Mini 14

I have been searching for a "true" muzzle brake for it for a while now.

Some of the suggestions have been of products such as the John Masen Muzzle Brake, but I've received conflicting reports here as to whether it is a true muzzle brake or actually a flash hider.

This is the muzzle brake/(flash hider to some) in question:
http://gunandsurplus.com/images/PICTURES/XTA_John_Masen_Muzzle_Brake_STAINLESS_STEEL_MATTE. jpg

Now I don't mind this product but I want to try to be as beyond reproach as possible.

Why do I want a muzzle brake?

The purpose is two fold; I understand a muzzle attachment helps reduce the muzzle climb and improves accuracy as well as an improved front sight, and also I wanted something a little more aesthetically pleasing than the standard front blade.

This is how the front end of my mini looks like:

Now, I have a few problems. One being that I have the stainless steel version so matching parts is quite difficult.

Second, I want to not get arrested for having evil features on my featureless rifle.

Now in a free state i'd have this flash hider in a heartbeat:

but just to get an idea of what i'm looking for.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a "true" muzzle brake that can't be (within reason, anyway) misconstrued as a flash hider on my featureless Mini 14?

It can involve proprietary clamp on parts, threading or adaptation of other parts. Within reason, of course.

I know i've made similar threads in the past, but this one is more detailed.

Thanks calgunners for any input.

12-01-2011, 7:52 PM
I use the john mason brake on mine. A ranger where I shoot kept looking at it and wasnt sure I told them, "it was a brake not a flash suppressor" I knew they weren't sure but they ok it. I always carry a Cal Guns chart and it explains it. Just print out the john mason page from the site with both for reference to show the LEO which is which if asked. But the one with slots is a flash hider which I have also but remmoved it years back. And Ive been ok using the above brake, the one with the holes.

12-01-2011, 8:00 PM
I don't think I would run that brake you posted. The front end being open like that may make it considered a flash hider. If the front was closed off, other than the hole for the bullet, the redirect the gases out the top and sides, I would have no problem with it.

12-01-2011, 8:10 PM
Yes its kind of iffy, But if you look at it . Its closed, then right after the holes it tapers or cones out to the tip. Its just the 1/4 in that it cones out. looks open but not really. The hole is just enough for the bullet to pass. If you were to machine the tip you will find that its closed.

12-01-2011, 8:13 PM
I just shot my mini14 for the first time in years last month, I don't know that it needs a muzzle break

Mossy Man
12-01-2011, 8:18 PM
I just shot my mini14 for the first time in years last month, I don't know that it needs a muzzle break

Need is a very loose term.

Lol....in truth I'm just trying to make it look like a mini.....M14.

12-01-2011, 8:37 PM
It doesnt kick much. But we had the flash supressor back in the 80s installed and we lost the original sight. So I purchased the brake. It barely recoils . The brake works great. The recoil is so low I cant bump fire it which is the sucky part.

12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I have the John Masen muzzle brake on mine, and does not affect the accuracy on my mini. YMMV.

Mossy Man
12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I have the John Masen muzzle brake on mine, and does not affect the accuracy on my mini. YMMV.

As I've stated, its mainly for looks and improved front sight. Have you ever had any run ins with its legality?

12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I actually threaded the barrel on my mini-14. It took some work but IMHO it looks and performs way better than one of those crappy John Masen things.

I've installed a few of those John Masen brakes/hiders on people's mini's and within a couple months most people have asked me to remove the piece of sh*t.

So when I decided I wanted a brake on my mini I knew the best option I had was to thread the barrel so I could install a normal AR brake.

Just my opinion though.