PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion , best fully built ar-15 for under 1000?

gant
12-01-2011, 7:20 PM
Looking at ar-15s in the near future, just going to save up, whats a good fully built ar15 for under 1000

stag arms pretty good?

m&p 15 looks good but read ppl dont like because of no foward assist or cover over the extractor

of course im going to look on classifieds for used ones, which are pretty easy to find, but would still like to know opinons on good ar-15s under 1000 thanks guys

mrvash
12-01-2011, 7:23 PM
Stag Arms is a great bang for the buck,

I haven't handled the M&P15 personally, but it is quickly becoming the most sought after budget rifle within the price range of $650-750. It has very good reviews around here that are worth a look.

AeroEngi
12-01-2011, 7:26 PM
Looking at ar-15s in the near future, just going to save up, whats a good fully built ar15 for under 1000

stag arms pretty good?

m&p 15 looks good but read ppl dont like because of no foward assist or cover over the extractor

of course im going to look on classifieds for used ones, which are pretty easy to find, but would still like to know opinons on good ar-15s under 1000 thanks guys

You mean no dust cover, right? That's the sporter version. They make M&P15's that come with the forward assist and dust cover. S&W makes a great AR.

gant
12-01-2011, 7:28 PM
yeah dust cover sorry

tomd1584
12-01-2011, 7:34 PM
If you're willing to bump your budget to around $1100, you can get either the Colt SP6920CA or a complete BCM from G&R Tactical.

evidens83
12-01-2011, 7:37 PM
PSA

p2rider426
12-01-2011, 7:43 PM
Lovin' my S&W Sport. Only have about 360 rounds through it at the moment, but not a single FTF or FTE. I've been using black box American Eagle and Remington UMC and it loves both of them. A single time I wished it would have had an FA but that was only because my buddy let the charging handle forward way too softly and it didn't go into full battery. Every time I put a fresh mag in I just pound the bolt release and it loves it. The mag that comes with it is a bit of a PITA at first to load, but then again just about every brand new mag I've handled is the same way. Got another 1400 rounds of m855, m193, and a few other types in the mail. I'll make a thread reviewing the rifle once I make a dent in those rounds...

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 7:46 PM
You will probably never need a forward assist or ejection port cover. I've been hearing all kinds of good things about the S&W. With that said, I ordered an M4 rifle kit from Palmetto State Armory, mated it to a Spike's lower, picked up a cheapy rear site (for now) and a 10/20 Pmag. It looks and shoot great.
Rifle kit = $499.00 shipped!
lower = $140.00 total including DROS. Shop around and you'll probably find 1 cheaper.
Pmag = $25.00
Rear flip up site= $25.00 (from E-bay and seems pretty sturdy for now)
$689.00 total.

gant
12-01-2011, 7:48 PM
ar noob, what is a foward assist for anyways?

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 7:49 PM
Lovin' my S&W Sport. Only have about 360 rounds through it at the moment, but not a single FTF or FTE. I've been using black box American Eagle and Remington UMC and it loves both of them. A single time I wished it would have had an FA but that was only because my buddy let the charging handle forward way too softly and it didn't go into full battery. Every time I put a fresh mag in I just pound the bolt release and it loves it. The mag that comes with it is a bit of a PITA at first to load, but then again just about every brand new mag I've handled is the same way. Got another 1400 rounds of m855, m193, and a few other types in the mail. I'll make a thread reviewing the rifle once I make a dent in those rounds...

Try just pushing the bolt forward with your finger. That's what the recessed potion of the bolt is for.:43:

p2rider426
12-01-2011, 7:51 PM

It's to make sure the bolt is all the way forward in battery position, ready to fire. The rifle will not fire, or become damaged from firing out of battery.

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 7:53 PM

During the Vietnam war, the M16 would get a bit dirty and not allow the bolt to go into battery, it would go all the way forward. They added the forward assist to fix that problem. You would just push on it and it would close the bolt. The same thing can be accomplished by pushing the bolt with your finger through the ejection port. The reality is that most of us will never have our rifles in that environment.

p2rider426
12-01-2011, 7:54 PM
Try just pushing the bolt forward with your finger. That's what the recessed potion of the bolt is for.:43:

It was the first mag of the day, there was still a fair amount of oil on the exposed part of the bolt making it a bit slippery to get a good push on it. I just had him chamber the next round and let the charge handle go like a man :D

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 7:58 PM
It was the first mag of the day, there was still a fair amount of oil on the exposed part of the bolt making it a bit slippery to get a good push on it. I just had him chamber the next round and let the charge handle go like a man :D

I shall call you "Captain Testosterone" :D

p2rider426
12-01-2011, 8:01 PM
During the Vietnam war, the M16 would get a bit dirty and not allow the bolt to go into battery, it would go all the way forward. They added the forward assist to fix that problem. You would just push on it and it would close the bolt. The same thing can be accomplished by pushing the bolt with your finger through the ejection port. The reality is that most of us will never have our rifles in that environment.

Another good use for the FA was explained to me by a retired Army Ranger. He told me when being stealthy they would slowly let the charging handle forward until almost to battery then hold pressure on the charging handle slightly while push on the FA to silently chamber the round. Same could be done with the finger in the ejection port cover but the FA is much more convenient if you have gloves and gear on.

That being said, I state again I love my M&P even without the FA. I don't plan on living in the jungle with it or doing spec ops missions in the middle of the night, so no FA is no big deal at all for me.

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 8:06 PM
Another good use for the FA was explained to me by a retired Army Ranger. He told me when being stealthy they would slowly let the charging handle forward until almost to battery then hold pressure on the charging handle slightly while push on the FA to silently chamber the round. Same could be done with the finger in the ejection port cover but the FA is much more convenient if you have gloves and gear on.

That being said, I state again I love my M&P even without the FA. I don't plan on living in the jungle with it or doing spec ops missions in the middle of the night, so no FA is no big deal at all for me.

Exactly.

Zman11
12-01-2011, 8:11 PM
The M&P 15 ORC is under $800, comes with forward assist and dust cover. It does not come with optics or BUIS, but I was able to get Troy front and rear BUIS for under $200, keeping it under $1k total. For the price, the M&P 15 ORC is hard to beat.

NHP1127
12-01-2011, 8:16 PM

those Rangers are funny. In the Marines, we keep a round in the chamber at all times...

TXDARKHORSE361
12-01-2011, 8:49 PM
This is my opinion but I went the DIY route for both of my AR's that way I had them set up exactly the way I wanted and didn't have to swap out parts later to customize them (which I have changed both up a little since anyways). Both of which I built on Stag Arms lowers (STAG-15) which have been working out just awesome for me.

My first build was an M4 style w/ 16" mid-length barrel, when it was said and done the rifle including the BUIS's ran me about $1200 and another $890 for the optics and BUIS.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/270146_2142136081111_1477470139_2470513_1981989_n. jpg
(Was built in TX, 10 RD mag and bullet button has since been added before bringing it out here :()

Second build was a fixed stock w/ 24" bull barrel that ended up running about $8-900 ($300 of that was just on the wooden furniture kit) and another $300 on the glass.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/IMAG0406.jpg

If you wanna build a great AR for under $1000 it is definitely possible, if you wanna build a more traditional (stock if you will) AR and throw some lower end glass on top but still stay under $1000 that is also a good possibility. The key is to decide on exactly what you want and shop around for the parts, google is your friend.

p2rider426
12-01-2011, 9:17 PM
those Rangers are funny. In the Marines, we keep a round in the chamber at all times...

There's this thing called mag changes.

NHP1127
12-02-2011, 2:21 PM

What? Then why do they issue bayonets? LOL

yellowfin
12-02-2011, 3:20 PM
I'm told people do the same thing while coyote hunting.

Cyc Wid It
12-02-2011, 3:27 PM
They really need to make a bigger popcorn smiley.

:popcorn:

Never seen this thread before.

Mac7504
12-02-2011, 3:34 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/270146_2142136081111_1477470139_2470513_1981989_n. jpg

I know nothing of optics or AR's yet, but how can you seen with the combined sights? Also, the front in appears to on backward..???...? What is the point of having two optics like that? I'm not bashing, just trying to understand.

MrPlink
12-02-2011, 3:47 PM

something tells me if you have already emptied a full magazine you have probably lost the element of "stealth" already

NHP1127
12-02-2011, 3:57 PM
I'm told people do the same thing while coyote hunting.

Why? I've always hunted with a round in the chamber. Pheasants, coyotes, combat. That's why God made safetys and gun safety training. Kinda like confronting an intruder with a shotgun and THEN racking a shell to load it. But we are off topic, sorry.

whipkiller
12-02-2011, 4:08 PM

I know nothing of optics or AR's yet, but how can you seen with the combined sights? Also, the front in appears to on backward..???...? What is the point of having two optics like that? I'm not bashing, just trying to understand.

I'm no AR expert either, but I think that's a Red-Dot in front with a magnifier behind it.

Some of these guys have the magnifier on a "Flip-Down" mount so you can use just the red-dot for up close, and then flip up the magnifier for further out.

Seems like a very cool set-up to me.

Mac7504
12-02-2011, 4:12 PM
I'm no AR expert either, but I think that's a Red-Dot in front with a magnifier behind it.

Some of these guys have the magnifier on a "Flip-Down" mount so you can use just the red-dot for up close, and then flip up the magnifier for further out.

Ahh makes sense. Thereís too much stuff for my liking; but very awesome for versatility purposes.

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 4:14 PM

That's an Eotec with a magnifier. That set up looks over the flip up sites. You would have the sites, flip up or not, because electronics do fail from time to time. With the sites flipped up you are able to "co-witness." This means that even if your optic stops working, you can still use your iron sites by looking through the optic.
something tells me if you have already emptied a full magazine you have probably lost the element of "stealth" already

....but, but, what if your enemy is deaf?:rolleyes:

Mac7504
12-02-2011, 4:30 PM
That's an Eotec with a magnifier. That set up looks over the flip up sites. You would have the sites, flip up or not, because electronics do fail from time to time. With the sites flipped up you are able to "co-witness." This means that even if your optic stops working, you can still use your iron sites by looking through the optic.

....but, but, what if your enemy is deaf?:rolleyes:

The flip up + plus optic I understand; the two optics together I didn't (it also looked backward), but now I've gotten a better understanding.

I will be adding flip ups and an Eotech or Aimpoint when I finally decide which Ar to go with (DD v5 vs V7). Thank you all for the explaination.

Cheers!

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 4:36 PM
The flip up + plus optic I understand; the two optics together I didn't (it also looked backward), but now I've gotten a better understanding.

I will be adding flip ups and an Eotech or Aimpoint when I finally decide which Ar to go with (DD v5 vs V7). Thank you all for the explaination.

Cheers!

Ok, kewl. Good luck deciding which AR....you're gonna need it.

Mac7504
12-02-2011, 5:50 PM
Thanks.

Don't I know it, I have another thread opened asking for help but no one will give it...lol. I think itís a bit technical that should go directly to DD

gunsarefun
12-02-2011, 6:25 PM
CMMG and Spikes complete rifles are usually less than $1000 from a dealer that isn't price gouging.

p2rider426
12-02-2011, 6:40 PM

He would have different magazines loaded with different ammunition depending on what he was doing. Sometimes he would feel the need for tracers, sometimes not. There are other reasons to change out a mag besides running out of rounds.

Saber2Golf
12-03-2011, 2:16 AM
Why, if I may ask, does it have to be already built? You stand to save a decent amount of money by assembling one yourself, and stand to lose nothing IMO.

its mcgavin son
12-03-2011, 3:13 AM

LOL! Wow... I'm not going to even respond to that idiocy.. I thought the Rangers were SOF hahaha

C4iGrant
12-03-2011, 7:23 AM
If you're willing to bump your budget to around $1100, you can get either the Colt SP6920CA or a complete BCM from G&R Tactical.

Thanks for the plug.

The Colt 6920CA for $1k is nearly impossible to beat.

C4

L84CABO
12-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Ya know...If you bumped your price range up to under $1500, you can get a BCM or Daniel Defense. Might be worth the extra time to save a bit more. Can't go wrong with either of these.

I guess I'm also pretty skeptical these days of the, "you can build better for less" notion. I'm sure you can build yourself a better rifle. And I'm sure you can build a rifle for less. I'm just not sure you can do both at the same time. Packaged rifles are pretty competitive these days.

Good luck!

donking
12-03-2011, 1:24 PM
Spikes
Franklin Armory
Colt

TXDARKHORSE361
12-03-2011, 2:21 PM

Sorry I'm a little late on this but basically that's right, just for clarification I had a build planned for when I got back and when I did I had some extra deployment money burning a small hole in my pocket so I decided to go "overboard" and "trick it out". I know personally that plain and basic is the lighter way to go and you can definitely get the job done and there are many things on the market that are not a necessity and thousands of products that are more for looks than practicality but I wanted to build a rifle I could break out and say that thing just looks badass as well as function perfect. I was originally going to go with just the EOTECH but I found a great deal on the MPO (Multi Purpose Optic) package so my need turned a bit to want, it is the EOTECH 557 holographic sight with the 3x magnifier. The magnifier is simply that, just magnification with no reticle and is meant to be used with the reticle in the EOTECH, which I must say is simply awesome with the 557 because when it's not magnified it looks like the standard reticle with a line instead of a single dot but when you magnify it there are actually several dots for shooting at different ranges without having to re-zero it. The magnifier is set on a flip to side mount so I can push down on the lever and it flips out of the way for CQB however if something was to come up a couple hundred yards away you simply flip the magnifier back into place and you can engage accurately, it really is an awesome idea. coyotebait is correct if by some force of nature your optics failed you you'd be able to flip the magnifier out of the way and pop up the back up iron sights and co-witness them through the EOTECH to be back in the fight without having to fumble around with removing the optics. I'll try and post a couple of pictures that show you what I mean.

NHP1127
12-03-2011, 2:31 PM
Ya know...If you bumped your price range up to under $1500, you can get a BCM or Daniel Defense. Might be worth the extra time to save a bit more. Can't go wrong with either of these.

I guess I'm also pretty skeptical these days of the, "you can build better for less" notion. I'm sure you can build yourself a better rifle. And I'm sure you can build a rifle for less. I'm just not sure you can do both at the same time. Packaged rifles are pretty competitive these days.

Good luck!

Besides M4carbine.com fan boy stuff, what does spending $500 more on a DD or BCM get you over a Colt 6920, PSA or a Spikes tactical? Same specs... with Colt having the edge on resale. PSA wins for the value.

TXDARKHORSE361
12-03-2011, 2:53 PM

Cheers!

Sorry these aren't the greatest pictures I'm no professional photographer by any means but hopefully this helps you understand a little better.

The full rifle as it is currently set up
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/PC040551.jpg

Flipped to side with BUIS flipped up
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/PC040554.jpg

Bad pic of the reticle non magnified
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/PC040556.jpg

The reticle while looking through magnifier
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/PC040557.jpg

Front and rear BUIS popped up and being co-witnessed
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/slybass666/Guns/PC040559.jpg

Overall it is just a fun gun to shoot, everybody has their own opinions on what should be what and what works for them might not work for you but as long as you're happy with the finished product that's all that should matter. On a side note it also adds more possibility and fun at the range as you have three options, non magnified, magnified, and no reticle co-witnessing shooting, I like to do all three and compare how I'm shooting with all my options.

glock7
12-03-2011, 5:30 PM
Fully built? Spikes carbine is less than a grand

Saber2Golf
12-03-2011, 6:36 PM

Good luck!

$500 more dollars for what? A brand name and a roll mark, or to have someone who makes $10 an hour to install some pins and springs? It's not like they're bedding a stock for it or something, it's plug-n-play. 'Sides, most everyone puts a complete upper on their OLL build anyway, and with the money saved on the lower they can put it where it counts: the upper.

If it's that big of a concern about the build quality, I'm sure there are places out there that will sell a matched upper and lower together...but I've never seen a new upper and lower that fit loosely. And anyway, places like Aero Precision make the lowers that other companies sell at a premium because they're stamped "Operator Brand M9000" instead of Aero Precision.

If you're technically proficient enough, there's no reason not to build an OLL (other than convenience, but spending $500 more isn't very convenient to me either)...it's your rifle, you care about it more than some dude on an assembly line does, you'll do just as good a job assembling it if you follow the guides.

/rant

gunsarefun
12-03-2011, 11:25 PM
$500 more dollars for what? A brand name and a roll mark, or to have someone who makes $10 an hour to install some pins and springs? It's not like they're bedding a stock for it or something, it's plug-n-play. 'Sides, most everyone puts a complete upper on their OLL build anyway, and with the money saved on the lower they can put it where it counts: the upper.

If it's that big of a concern about the build quality, I'm sure there are places out there that will sell a matched upper and lower together...but I've never seen a new upper and lower that fit loosely. And anyway, places like Aero Precision make the lowers that other companies sell at a premium because they're stamped "Operator Brand M9000" instead of Aero Precision.

If you're technically proficient enough, there's no reason not to build an OLL (other than convenience, but spending $500 more isn't very convenient to me either)...it's your rifle, you care about it more than some dude on an assembly line does, you'll do just as good a job assembling it if you follow the guides.

/rant

I would disagree with you, and agree with the first guy. Some complete rifles are pretty competitive. Unless you assemble your lower AND upper, it doesn't seem to pencil out that you save much just building your own lower. For example, CMMG and Spikes both run about $900 for complete rifles. That is about a $1000 after dros and tax.

I paid $499.99 for my CMMG complete upper, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

As for my lower:
CMMG Lower $150
Dros 30
tax 12
bullet B: $20
LPK: 60
stock:65
BUIS 60
1 mag 15 ( you get a least one mag when you buy a complete rifle).

That is $912 to build a CMMG lower to match what my local dealer had as a complete rifle for $1000, not to mention the free case and case goodies that come with buying a complete rifle.

I failing to see this $500 difference.:confused:

Ak707
12-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Any lower 100
RRA lpk 75
Magpul complete stock kit with buffer tube, spring $ 120
16" Bcm mid length upper w BFH barrel $489
Bcm bcg $140
Rear sight $60
Pretty darn close to $1k

coyotebait
12-04-2011, 7:42 AM
I would disagree with you, and agree with the first guy. Some complete rifles are pretty competitive. Unless you assemble your lower AND upper, it doesn't seem to pencil out that you save much just building your own lower. For example, CMMG and Spikes both run about $900 for complete rifles. That is about a $1000 after dros and tax.

I paid $499.99 for my CMMG complete upper, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

As for my lower:
CMMG Lower $150
Dros 30
tax 12
BUIS 60

That is $912 to build a CMMG lower to match what my local dealer had as a complete rifle for $1000, not to mention the free case and case goodies that come with buying a complete rifle.

I built an AR for under $700.00, see post #8

bomb_on_bus
12-04-2011, 8:00 AM
Also consider buying used to save even more money or wait for sales on complete rifles or parts this is of course depending on weather or not your willing to wait for cheaper deals.

I probably spent somewhere in the neighborhood of a year shopping around looking at prices and manufactuers as well as end user reviews before getting my first AR a decade ago.

PSA had a good sale a few months back where lowers where 50.00 and complete rifles where just under 500.00.

bombadillo
12-04-2011, 8:14 AM
I just bought this as a plinker for the heck of it. It was so cheap, comes with a great trigger and optic so it'll be a plinker but its made out of all the right stuff. I've had 2 other PSA uppers and they've been fantastic.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/9021.php

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/9021.jpg

Specifications:

Barrel length 16"
4150 Chrome moly vanadium steel barrel
A2 Flash Hider
5.56 Nato chamber
1 in 7" twist
Chrome-lined bore and chamber
HP Tested and MP Inspected barrel
M4 barrel profile
M4 feedramps
Full auto bolt carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt
Magnetic particle inspected bolt
Mil-spec diameter 6-position Stock
Geissele G2S 2-stage combat trigger
Magpul rear back up sight
Vortex StrikeFire optic w/mount
30 round magazine included (where allowed by law)

ALL FOR $799+19 for bullet button. KILLER deal.

tanakasan
12-04-2011, 8:22 AM

As for my lower:
CMMG Lower $150
Dros 30
tax 12
BUIS 60

My complete Spikes middy was around $1100...with PA M4 clone and Troy folding rear sight. It has good specs and is a great shooter.

Robert

Hoop
12-04-2011, 9:14 AM
Those palmetto state armory kits are incredible deals.

bombadillo
12-04-2011, 2:54 PM
Those palmetto state armory kits are incredible deals.

Yes they are. Where else can you get a "mil-spec" (I use this term loosely here due to it only being certain features, not an actual military contract version) upper, 2 stage QUALITY trigger, bullet button, BUIS, AND Optic that is a decent optic all in a package for $800 bucks. I can't believe how cheap this thing was and I've had nothing but the best luck with their products and they aim to please with service. Great company, and a great product.

The barrels are FN barrels as well which means a great deal to me. They were telling me so in an email when I asked who made their products and it took awhile but they finally gave up the name.

glock7
12-04-2011, 5:10 PM
I think PSA is an up and comer. I used their lpk and so far so good. PSA is still new and you have to prove yourself. BCM isn't that old, but they are proven. DD not that old but also well proven. Spikes hasn't been around that long but they have proved themselves players in the AR game. They had to answer a lot of ?'s in the beginning and had a lot of detractors. Now look...PSA should get there, there needs to be more positive range reports and they need to be proven in carbine classes and the like then they will be taken seriously. A 2-3 day class will seperate the players from the pretenders.

glock7
12-04-2011, 5:16 PM
I want a colt 6920ca. Don't hate me because I want to spend my hard earned money on a quality rifle. That being said my 2 builds after that will be a BCM and a spikes build that will. E featureless. Spend your money how you like. I like new quality components when I do my builds. As my great great great great great great great grandpappy aloishus used to say "you do you and I'll do me. That way we're both happy"

glock7
12-04-2011, 6:09 PM
If 4k + rounds, 2 carbine classes and running it hard in the free states with no malfs except for class training purposes and a bad bad lever makes me a BCM fanboy then I'll be more than happy to call myself that. 800+ bucks for my 14.5 middy. Put me number on the bcm fanboy list....

bombadillo
12-04-2011, 7:15 PM
I don't think anyone was arguing against BCM or Colt.

Agent Tikki
12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Becareful here not all their barrels a made by Fabrique Nationale. I'm pretty sure its just the cold hammer forged ones....but damn that G2S trigger is pretty damn sweet.

I just bought this as a plinker for the heck of it. It was so cheap, comes with a great trigger and optic so it'll be a plinker but its made out of all the right stuff. I've had 2 other PSA uppers and they've been fantastic.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/9021.php

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/9021.jpg

Specifications:

Barrel length 16"
4150 Chrome moly vanadium steel barrel
A2 Flash Hider
5.56 Nato chamber
1 in 7" twist
Chrome-lined bore and chamber
HP Tested and MP Inspected barrel
M4 barrel profile
M4 feedramps
Full auto bolt carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt
Magnetic particle inspected bolt
Mil-spec diameter 6-position Stock
Geissele G2S 2-stage combat trigger
Magpul rear back up sight
Vortex StrikeFire optic w/mount
30 round magazine included (where allowed by law)

ALL FOR $799+19 for bullet button. KILLER deal.