PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Gun!

cayotehunter
12-01-2011, 5:37 PM
Just got my newest AR addition completed and this will be my truck/beater rifle. Its a budget build at around $665 the way it sits now. What do you guys think? The top upper is my Bison Armory 6.8spc :gunsmilie:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee217/robbrown3/photo9.jpg

jonc
12-01-2011, 5:42 PM
very nice...

cannon
12-01-2011, 6:43 PM
Looks good. Have you shot it yet?

h0use
12-01-2011, 9:53 PM
Very nice!

cayotehunter
12-02-2011, 4:31 AM
Looks good. Have you shot it yet?

Thanks! No I havent shot it yet, I picked up some 69grn Blackhills SMK's to try out. I think they should shoot nicely in the 1:7 barrel. Ill have a range report as soon as I shoot it

REPR
12-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks! No I havent shot it yet, I picked up some 69grn Blackhills SMK's to try out. I think they should shoot nicely in the 1:7 barrel. Ill have a range report as soon as I shoot it

Nice, look forward to seeing how she shoots.

donw
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
nice...

gun toting monkeyboy
12-02-2011, 2:14 PM
The only things I might consider adding to it as a truck gun are a sling of some sort, a light, and a red dot. The light and red dot are nice to have, but not essential. But the sling is one of those important, but ofter over-looked items that you really should have. Not so much as a shooting aid, but as a way to carry your rifle. Nothing sucks worse than being in a situation where you need to take the rifle with you, and end up having to carry it in your hands the whole time. Especially when there may be tasks that you need both hands to do.

-Mb

cayotehunter
12-03-2011, 1:46 AM
The only things I might consider adding to it as a truck gun are a sling of some sort, a light, and a red dot. The light and red dot are nice to have, but not essential. But the sling is one of those important, but ofter over-looked items that you really should have. Not so much as a shooting aid, but as a way to carry your rifle. Nothing sucks worse than being in a situation where you need to take the rifle with you, and end up having to carry it in your hands the whole time. Especially when there may be tasks that you need both hands to do.

-Mb

I agree, what sling do you think is best? I was thinking a cheapo nylon sling but im not sure......any suggestions?

MrExel17
12-03-2011, 6:11 AM
Sweeet

Coyote Brown
12-03-2011, 6:58 AM
Ares Armour , Husky amentum sling.

Next best a V-Tac.

cebuvfr
12-03-2011, 7:34 AM
nice!

gun toting monkeyboy
12-03-2011, 7:50 AM
Picking a sling is a matter of personal preferrence. The cheap nylon slings that have at Walmart usually do a good job if all you plan on using it for is carrying the rifle. If that is all you need it for, there is no reason to spend more. There are a huge number of specialized slings out there if you want it for more than tossing over your shoulder too. Target slings, 1,2, and 3 point slings, "tactical" slings, tooled leather slings... Tons of stuff. With ARs, I have found that a very simple 2 or 3 point sling, attached Israeli-style with paracord loops works well. You can normally pick up IDF slings on ebay for $10-20 bucks new. But again, that is all a matter of personal preferrence. Look at what is out there, think about what you want the sling to do, and go from there.

-Mb

cayotehunter
12-03-2011, 9:19 AM
Sweet thanks!

cayotehunter
12-05-2011, 8:40 AM
I got a primary arms micro dot on the way, the deal was too good to pass up! Anyone have experience with these? They seem to have some good reviews but I was curious if any fellow calgunners has used one?

Rockit
12-05-2011, 8:55 AM
I agree, what sling do you think is best? I was thinking a cheapo nylon sling but im not sure......any suggestions?
I'd go with a 550 cord sling. You never know when that comes in handy.

Lagduf
12-05-2011, 9:15 AM
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive weaponlight for a truck gun. Maybe something not more than $50?

Coyote Brown
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Sure fire G2 led

gun toting monkeyboy
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Primary Arms red dots are probably the best value out there for red dot scops. They are not Aimpoints by any means. But they are solid, reliable, and cost less than a 1/4 of a real aimpoint. If I were going to play in a sandbox, I would spend the extra money. But for a truck gun? Primary Arms is just fine. I have had several for a few years now. I used one on my primary rifle for over a year until I could afford something better. It held up through several thousand rounds with no problem. That one has since been moved to a back-up rifle, where it is still going strong. The battery run time on mine is nowhere near an Aimpoint, but I did get more than 7 days of run time out of the cheap battery that came with it. They are a good choice as far as I am concerned. especially for the price. And PA has great customer service.

-Mb