PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Deciding.. Need Your Input

SureShot241
12-01-2011, 5:02 PM
So before I posted a poll to see everyone's opinions on some guns I was thinking of getting(http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=488080). I have been mulling it over and I have taken all of your input into consideration. I just need some more help deciding.

Lately I have been wrapped up in my mind and torn on to what I should get. Help out?

Background: I currently own 3 guns (16" AR-15, Bolt Action .22, Mosin Nagant) I am looking to purchase another firearm around Christmas time. My ideology right now is to have a variety of guns to shoot then to have multiple of the same platform. My budget is $500 max but looks more like $300-400. Here are the firearm I am considering:

-Mossberg 500 (If can get the funds, a 590)
-SKS
-Building a 20" A2 KISS AR-15 (Already have the upper receiver, need barrel assembly, stock assembly, and bolt carrier)
-Ruger 10/22

I mostly do range shooting as well as desert shooting. I am looking for something that is affordable, cheap to shoot, and easy to use. I recently had a blast shooting an awesome 10/22, but I could see it getting boring after a while or in certain shooting conditions.

If you have any input on these guns or have any ideas on other guns that would be good for me I would love to hear your input!

SgtJT27
12-01-2011, 5:05 PM
Looks like you need a shotgun in your collection. It's always nice blasting stuff in the desert.

ZX-10R
12-01-2011, 5:08 PM
Looks like you need a shotgun in your collection. It's always nice blasting stuff in the desert.

I agree.

SureShot241
12-01-2011, 8:53 PM
If I get a shotgun, what kind of shooting would I be doing? I have zero experience with them.

Still looking for advice haha

msand951
12-01-2011, 8:59 PM
Get the 870 with the 2 barrels the combo with the rifled slug barrel. Or the 590 will be good to.

robcoe
12-01-2011, 9:01 PM
If I get a shotgun, what kind of shooting would I be doing? I have zero experience with them.

Still looking for advice haha

At shortish range, you can do just about anything with a shotgun, really their only weaknesses are range, weight and ammo capacity.

You can get basic birdshot loads for about the same price as 9mm($0.20 a round or so), these work fine for just blasting things for fun(or you know, bird hunting), then you can get buckshot for hunting/SD/blasting things, or slugs for shooting things further away(even with an 18.5 inch Winchester 1300 I can hit targets at 100 yards using slugs, and they are a lot of fun)

dieselpower
12-02-2011, 5:14 AM
Glock, 1911, XD, Sig
Holsters for same, IWB and exposed
Magazines

or

a Shotgun

DesertSniper
12-02-2011, 6:47 AM
you need a hand gun! i'd say something in 40 or 9mm
either that or a shotgun

Coyote Brown
12-02-2011, 7:09 AM
10/22

VCMike
12-02-2011, 7:13 AM
I would say the 10/22. I still enjoy shooting it at cans, small frisbees, etc. anything that jumps when hit. Shoot the expensive guns then go to 3 cent a shot 10/22 and stay all day!

Nathan Krynn
12-02-2011, 7:49 AM
diselpower makes a good point, I do not see a pistol in your line up. Pistols are very personal so I would suggest go to a range that rents and try different ones. For instance I only use 1911's and wheel guns but my wife likes glocks and 1911's, we both hate the M-9. Nothing wrong with any of them though, just personal preference.

Out of your choices I would either get a 10/22 or a shotgun. My favorite gun to shoot is my mossberg 500 as strange as that sounds as I make AR's for a living. I love simple shotguns. I do have a 11/87 for hunting and trap/skeet (not the best choice but it was a hand me down from my coach who died) and trap and skeet are extremely fun, matter fact the first time I took my wife to a range she said "why have you been hiding the fun shooting sport" as we were having our pics taken for the local new paper (weird day).

10/22's are fun and cheap too. Nothing like blasting hundreds of rounds and not costing much at all. Plus cheap to practice and teach.

Honestly though these are really all vastly different firearms and the best thing to do is use some of them and see what you like.

REPR
12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I agree with a pistol. Glock or whatever suits you. If wanting fun, reliable, accurate, and very inexpensive shooting roll with a 22/45 or buckmark. A .22 pistol is the one firearm I take to the range every single time regardless of what I'm shooting. Never really tire of them either. If your 22/45 starts getting old then bam start shooting steel. Boring again set up some steel stages and train for rimfire open steel shoots. If no interest in pistols then I say of your choices the shotgun.

SureShot241
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Oh I really want a pistol, but sadly I am not 21 yet, so I can only manufacture my own pistol, which I don't have the time/cash to do(1911 80%). I shoot them all the time though.

My favorite pistols are the Smith and Wesson M&P as well as the classic 1911.

No love for the M16/SKS? haha.

Sicarius
12-02-2011, 1:20 PM
Pistol, Shotgun or 10/22 would be my suggestion. Shotguns are a lot of fun. You can take them to the range and shoot some skeet/trap, plink with them and they are pretty cheap to feed. 100 rounds for 22 bucks at wallmart for birdshot. 10/22 is a great trusty 22... but you already have a .22. Pistol would be a good addition to round out your current firearms a bit more.
Kevin

nitroxdiver
12-02-2011, 2:34 PM
If I were in your shoes, Id get a shotgun considering you are not old enough for a pistol, and based on your current setup. You've got many many years of collecting and enthusing ahead of you, no hurries. :)
Have fun!

nani
12-02-2011, 5:46 PM
I own a Mossberg 500 and I really love shooting it. Shredding paper targets is all kinds of fun :D

jimbos44
12-02-2011, 6:58 PM
Here's another one to think about. What about a lever action? Faster than a bolt, but something to do instead of just pulling the trigger

SureShot241
12-03-2011, 8:52 AM
Here's another one to think about. What about a lever action? Faster than a bolt, but something to do instead of just pulling the trigger

I am definitely interested in getting a lever action eventually, but I don't see one for a little while in my future.

If I were in your shoes, Id get a shotgun considering you are not old enough for a pistol, and based on your current setup. You've got many many years of collecting and enthusing ahead of you, no hurries. :)
Have fun!

I look forward to those many many years! :D

I plan on getting at least 1 gun a year every year.

loosewreck
12-03-2011, 9:05 AM
10/22, least expensive, both to purchase and shoot. If you get bored with it, you can start fixing it up to no end.

Instead of the SKS, maybe a Saiga. Like the 10/22, if you get bored you can convert it later and even accessorize it.

I suppose the same can be said about a 870 or 500/590, but ammo can get expensive. And unless you like being soar, it won't be something you're gonna want to shoot for extended sessions.

I agree with some of the others, you do need a handgun. Maybe a Glock, XD, CZ, Ruger or M&P in a 9mm or .40. (I missed that you were too young for a handgun.)

12-03-2011, 9:28 AM
I have a Remington M887 and love it. The kick is a non issue with 2 3/4 birdshot. Had a 10/22 and as fun as it was for a first gun I have to say I like the 12 gauge better.