PDA

View Full Version : no power for a couple days, testing our SHTF plans

fabguy
12-01-2011, 5:50 PM
No power since about 230 am. The wife and I agreed that this is a good time to test our SHTF plans ( at least kinda) pulled out the camping gear, and Mc Gyver'd up some lights in the house, even carrying around a token paper clip. :D . Dry Ice for the freezers and fridge, using only camping stove to cook, kept the house closed up for heat, and even using our stuff from HV farms. Neighbors are all freaking out about what they are gonna do for stoves, showers, etc.
so today we are making steaks that were in the freezer, re hydrated some beans, and for tomorrow we are having a type of beef soup with dehydrated veggies, beef jerky, and for desert some sweets from some MRE's.
I know it sounds crazy but with having twin 8yr olds we are kinda conditioning them for this instance. It is actually kinda cool to be better prepped than our neighbors.
And yes, we have a security type watch going also.
Comments welcomed

problemchild
12-01-2011, 5:57 PM
Awesome.......

Its a nice feeling having what others refuse to buy. Hanging on to it in a real emergency would be next to impossible unless you have a platoon with automatic weapons or looters swinging from ropes in your front yard.:D

Liberals if you are reading this the last line is a joke.

I just got tagged for the re-education camps.....

llamatrnr
12-01-2011, 6:00 PM
Solar yard/driveway lights can be put to good use also . . .

fabguy
12-01-2011, 6:47 PM
Awesome.......

Its a nice feeling having what others refuse to buy. Hanging on to it in a real emergency would be next to impossible unless you have a platoon with automatic weapons or looters swinging from ropes in your front yard.:D

Liberals if you are reading this the last line is a joke.

I just got tagged for the re-education camps.....

Lmao, re education camps.

We have been writing down some weaknesses we have seen and are going to correct them once things are going again. After we get power back up I am going to invest in some solar panels to charge our batteries, I can fabricate the framing to make it portable and fold up, as well as draw up a circuit so as not too overcharge the batteries.
I am using some deep cycle batteries that I come across sometimes, I had them charging last week. I check them every other week and keep them charged for this situation (EQ). My wife just said alot of neighbors are staying at motels, and I can hear 2 generators running that are several houses away. I mentioned to my wife how load they are and she agreed it attracks to much attention, although convenient.

bill_k_lopez
12-01-2011, 7:10 PM
Practice is always good.

Good luck running to the store for dry ice in a real emergency, better to plan on powering your fridge with a generator.

Cheap Shot
12-01-2011, 7:21 PM
My outside freezer is packed with ice (recycled milk jugs). During the summer they get used to fill the ice chest that rides in the jetski. When not being used for ice chest they help keep things cold. Trick is to not open the appliance very often to make the ice last longer.

Salty
12-01-2011, 7:50 PM
No power here either. For a while pretty much the whole city was down and you could see just about every star in the sky. Went outside with the tripod and DSLR in 30mph winds and caught some great long exposure shots (wearing my Black Diamond Spot headlamp in red mode I might add)... Now if I could only fire up the computer to upload them.

Not really a big deal for me because I don't watch TV and have plenty of flashlights, batteries, candles, camping gear, etc. Gas stove, water heater, and furnace still work. Cooked breakfast this morning by sunlight, lit the stove with fire steel (simply because it's more fun than the drawer of lighters I have), showered by candle light (let the LOL's begin on that one). Maybe I'll fire up the crank radio a little later.

No dry ice though, I may have to try that. We do the whole frozen water bottle deal though... Probably melted by now.
The other thing I did was cook up a big batch of sausages and vegis that I had in the fridge this morning to go along with some rice and beans. My experience is that they keep for a few days at room temp once cooked. Maybe they'd be fine in the fridge too, I dunno, but at least this way I'm not in and out of the fridge all day.

problemchild
12-01-2011, 8:25 PM
Take a look at the Zebralights they have amazing runtime on firefly mode. Something like 80+ days.

11HE9
12-01-2011, 8:30 PM
Comments welcomed

As one of my old platoon sargeants would say, "That's some damn fine training right there!!"

A very good way to find "The weak spots" in your preps. This may wake up a few of your neighbors too...